Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:51 pm
The suns had no intention of keeping ariza after his deal expired. The sun's traded him for a guy the wizards don't want to pay.
He's not even remotely the same player as Ariza. That's a terrible take.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 am

Kinda what I'm afraid of. If the Clips don't throw an offer at Oubre (if they strike out on Kawhi) , we have some leverage but it could get ugly if we lowball like "hey, there's no more money out there. Take our offer or play out the year".
The optics are poor and that's definitely not a good thing for the Suns image as a franchise, but I'd be fine with Oubre playing out his contract on the QO.

I had very low expectations for him after the trade, so he was one of the few bright spots during a miserable season. But it was still just that, a miserable season. He outperformed essentially zero expectations on one of the worst teams I've ever seen. He may have turned a corner and is becoming a reliable role playing starter, but that's his ceiling. Only a fool would commit a long term contract for big money on a player like him.

If it were up to me, I'd let him walk for any offer over $13M/year.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If a reasonable deal can't be worked out, sign and trade him. I have no interest in having him play next season on the QO.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yeah, several have mentioned a sign and trade, and that's where I am too. If someone wants to offer a big contract , you just congratulate the man and help him get it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:34 pm
ShelC wrote:

Kinda what I'm afraid of. If the Clips don't throw an offer at Oubre (if they strike out on Kawhi) , we have some leverage but it could get ugly if we lowball like "hey, there's no more money out there. Take our offer or play out the year".
The optics are poor and that's definitely not a good thing for the Suns image as a franchise, but I'd be fine with Oubre playing out his contract on the QO.

I had very low expectations for him after the trade, so he was one of the few bright spots during a miserable season. But it was still just that, a miserable season. He outperformed essentially zero expectations on one of the worst teams I've ever seen. He may have turned a corner and is becoming a reliable role playing starter, but that's his ceiling. Only a fool would commit a long term contract for big money on a player like him.

Eh. I'm paying him up to 18M per. As far as it being a miserable season, it only had a couple bright spots. Opening night and that stretch where we beat the Bucks, Lakers, and Warriors. Plus, maybe the first road win over the Bucks.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Eh. I'm paying him up to 18M per. As far as it being a miserable season, it only had a couple bright spots. Opening night and that stretch where we beat the Bucks, Lakers, and Warriors. Plus, maybe the first road win over the Bucks.
I’d offer $16 and perhaps large bonuses for playoff games won.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If we gave Rubio 17, I can’t see us not giving Oubre 17. But 18+ would be tough.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SDC

Post by SDC »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:16 pm
What is it you don't like about him? Nothing at all indicates he's a cancer or ever would be.
nothing personal.

dont sign him on a qualifying offer because he will become a cancer if the suns do that.

better sign and trade him elsewhere if the suns "lowball" offer gets rejected.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
ShelC wrote:

I’d offer $16 and perhaps large bonuses for playoff games won.
I'd be surprised if that's allowed under the CBA.

To be clear, I'd rank options with Oubre as such;

1. Re-sign on a 3-4 year deal averaging $12-14M.
2. Sign and trade if another team wants to pay him more than $14M/year.
3. Let him play out the QO.
4. Let him walk if a team offers him $16M+/year.

I think we'll see pretty quickly what happens with him as soon as Kawhi makes his decision. I could see the Lakers, Clippers or Raptors offer him if they don't sign Kawhi.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I want to see this from Rubio and Ayton.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don’t think Oubre will get signed until after Leonard makes his decision. Could be another day or two.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:20 am
Gambo also said that he expects all of the following players to be gone:

Warren, Jackson, Holmes, Bender, Melton, Okobo

I guess that means only 4 or 5 players will be left from last season? Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, and maybe Johnson. Perhaps Jamal Crawford also?
Gambo was spot on. Once we trade or waive Okobo, this will be exactly what happened with our roster.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

So every 2 to 3 years a new GM comes in and purges all the moves the prior GM made and we laud him and say how refreshing it is and how we’re back on track. Well we got rid of the knuckleheads though right?

I love this team but this offseason has not been any different than when McDo came in and did the same shit. Jones (or Bower) haven't done anything extraordinary. Oubre was our top priority and he remains unsigned. They settled on Rubio after they whiffed in Rozier (thank God)

We’re hemorrhaging picks left and right. There’s 40 million of buyout salary out there just in the last year!!!

He’s still got an incomplete grade because the offseason isn’t over yet. As of now we’re still trash but I guess it’s an upgrade from hot garbage though right?

All I’ve seen from Jones is that he knows how to clean house. But I’ve yet to see if he knows how to restock the cupboards.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Rozier was going to be Bowers Reggie Jackson all over again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:00 pm
So every 2 to 3 years a new GM comes in and purges all the moves the prior GM made and we laud him and say how refreshing it is and how we’re back on track. Well we got rid of the knuckleheads though right?

I love this team but this offseason has not been any different than when McDo came in and did the same s***. Jones (or Bower) haven't done anything extraordinary. Oubre was our top priority and he remains unsigned. They settled on Rubio after they whiffed in Rozier (thank God)

We’re hemorrhaging picks left and right. There’s 40 million of buyout salary out there just in the last year!!!

He’s still got an incomplete grade because the offseason isn’t over yet. As of now we’re still trash but I guess it’s an upgrade from hot garbage though right?

All I’ve seen from Jones is that he knows how to clean house. But I’ve yet to see if he knows how to restock the cupboards.
I'm afraid you're just going to have to wait out the season to see the results.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Willie Reed would make a good third string center for this team

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 pm
djy2j wrote:

I love this team but this offseason has not been any different than when McDo came in and did the same s***. Jones (or Bower) haven't done anything extraordinary. Oubre was our top priority and he remains unsigned. They settled on Rubio after they whiffed in Rozier (thank God)

Maybe Strange will let him borrow the Eye of Agamotto.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 am
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Eh, probably not. Strange is pretty protective of that thing.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am
Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 am
Superbone wrote:
djy2j wrote:

Eh, probably not. Strange is pretty protective of that thing.
If it’s OK for Thanos to have it, it should be OK for y2j to have it.