Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by ShelC »

McD should never work in the league again.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Jones' explanation for the Warren trade is not sufficient. Sure we opened up cap space, but we clearly traded him below his market value. He was not a negative asset/contract and we should not have had to pay to get him off our books. It seems like Jones only view the transaction in light of how it would benefit us. He didn't understand the value of player and contract he was trading away in terms of the overall league. The moves Jones has made this season remind me a lot of what you see what a coach holds a dual role as the GM. Regardless of how we improve this season, that is not encouraging for the longterm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am
Jones' explanation for the Warren trade is not sufficient. Sure we opened up cap space, but we clearly traded him below his market value. He was not a negative asset/contract and we should not have had to pay to get him off our books. It seems like Jones only view the transaction in light of how it would benefit us. He didn't understand the value of player and contract he was trading away in terms of the overall league. The moves Jones has made this season remind me a lot of what you see what a coach holds a dual role as the GM. Regardless of how we improve this season, that is not encouraging for the longterm.
I agree with everything you said. And I have not been one to defend Jones or Bowers. But I will say that sometimes you need to clean house. Right now, of the 14 guys under contract, here are all of the guys on our team that Jones did not draft/sign/acquire (assuming he had say in last year's draft):

Devin Booker

That's it. Pretty huge makeover when you consider it hasn't been a full year yet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's been a while since we've been a complete basketball team. Probably since the 48 win team. Since then, McD just assembled a roster of what he thought was talent without any regard to how they fit together. I also think Rubio feels like he has something to prove. It's going to be an interesting year after a TON of turnover.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Not to say that we should properly be compared to the Spurs. But that is a franchise where they draft and sign guys who fit their team and their vision. They go get guys who may not be the most talented or athletic, but who will buy in to the team concept, will be team players, will play hard, play defense, will pass to the open man, who believe in the system and will work to lift up the team as a whole. They seem to be a tight-knit team from the FO to the coaching staff to the players.

What James Jones and Monty Williams seem to be doing feels a tiny bit like that to me. Oubre talking about Valley Boyz and hanging out with Booker and Ayton, taking silly pictures. Guys coming in who can contribute and play smart right away. Rubio bringing passing and a selfless attitude to this team to help show guys that you should look beyond your own stats and points. You can pick apart the individual transactions and asset management but overall I really like the character and makeup of this new team.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Really liked the way Jared shot the ball for us in Summer League. Was really impressed by how he exploited Mitchell Robinson repeatedly in game 1 as well. More optimistic about his NBA future than Okobo's, at least.

jonh

Post by jonh »

We signed another end-of-the-bench point guard? Does that take up one of our 15 roster spots?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

jonh wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 pm
We signed another end-of-the-bench point guard? Does that take up one of our 15 roster spots?
Not on a 2-way. We have 2 of those above the 15 full roster spots.

I believe we still have 3 open spots to get to the full 17. I would love to see us pick up a few big guys.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 pm
jonh wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Not on a 2-way. We have 2 of those above the 15 full roster spots.

I believe we still have 3 open spots to get to the full 17. I would love to see us pick up a few big guys.
I know I'm probably just being sentimental, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing Amare to fill out the bench just to give Ayton a voice to listen to who has that attacking mentality. If there's a way to sign him as a "Special Assistant Coach" or something like that, I'd be fine with that too. I think Ayton could learn a lot from him.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

If he teaches Ayton how to run a good pick and roll with Rubio and stay aggressive, I am all for it. Losing Warren bothers me. With a solid PG and scheme, I think he could have developed into a much better player. This could have been his breakout year. I always had a good feeling about him.

carey

Post by carey »

No thoughts on that article and the interview audio from Jones in it?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

He doesn’t strike me as a wise veteran, all the time talking about defense but never playing it.

His efforts in rebounding were always mediocre and then his delusions about becoming a Point Forward. I don’t want to hear Ayton talking about his waist size like the reason to have sub par defensive performances. Amare was an exceptional player, but he would do the same job as a coach that Shaquille O’Neal, from a different angle, but same results. Would you want the Shaq show here, strictly from a basketball point of view?

I get the Amare Nostalgia, but let’s keep it on the SSOL years, no need to throw him out of his pedestal by looking at him sadly drag his knees up and down the court where he used to fly.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:06 am
Good for Dragan.

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:00 pm
No thoughts on that article and the interview audio from Jones in it?
I didnt respond to the quote, because I didn't want to sound like I was just continuing to beat a dead horse. It sounds as though Jones prioritizes fit over talent, which is close to the exact opposite approach of his predecessor. I appreciate that. However, my criticisms are that (1) he appears to have taken this perspective to the extreme by aquiring players primarily based on fit, and passing on perhaps more talented players who could still "fit" well (I think that Brandon Clarke would be a good example of this), and (2) he doesnt seem to grasp the market value the rest of the league appears to place on assets such as TJ Warrens contract or 2nd round picks. I can appreciate if he values these assets differently than other executives league, but it is silly to not use that difference to create a competitive advantage.

I don't think he fully addressed either of those issues in that interview.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Presumably Monty liked Diallo from his time on the Pelicans?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No, Diallo's only had Gentry as a coach in NO.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 pm
Presumably Monty liked Diallo from his time on the Pelicans?
Was Monty on the Pelicans during Diallo's time there? I mean, Cheick's only been in the league for 3 years.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

From Phoenix to Moscow. Yeesh.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.