Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:45 pm
Well no shit, how many other teams had -1700 of players in the first place?

It just means we were a REALLY shitty team with a lot of turnover. It says nothing about the quality of the roster moves.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 pm
In2ition wrote:
Well no s***, how many other teams had -1700 of players in the first place?

It just means we were a REALLY s*** team with a lot of turnover. It says nothing about the quality of the roster moves.
It does show that this team should be significantly better this year. What do you expect,Cap? There isn't many national guys willing to admit they may have made some decent moves when analyzed as a whole.

I admit they took a few Ls this summer on individual moves, and certainly didn't win on the margins, which good teams do in this league.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 pm
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

It just means we were a REALLY s*** team with a lot of turnover. It says nothing about the quality of the roster moves.
It does show that this team should be significantly better this year. What do you expect,Cap? There isn't many national guys willing to admit they may have made some decent moves when analyzed as a whole.

I admit they took a few Ls this summer on individual moves, and certainly didn't win on the margins, which good teams do in this league.
That this team should be “significantly better” than 19 wins? There isn’t a team in the league that doesn’t go into the season with that expectation. Including us.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:11 pm
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

That this team should be “significantly better” than 19 wins? There isn’t a team in the league that doesn’t go into the season with that expectation. Including us.
You don't think this team is significantly better?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

How did that work for us last year?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:23 am
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I think it is, in the sense that I would put the over/under at significantly above 19 wins.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 am
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:

I think it is, in the sense that I would put the over/under at significantly above 19 wins.
I'll admit that I thought the Suns would have been much better last year.
1. I was convinced that they were going to trade for a PG before the season.
2. I convinced myself that Ryan Anderson and Trevor Ariza were going to be positive difference makers, even though the evidence suggested that Anderson was done.
3. I sold myself a belief that Jackson and Bender were going to be better under Igor.
4. I believed that Igor was going to be a huge upgrade over Watson.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:21 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 am
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I'll admit that I thought the Suns would have been much better last year.
1. I was convinced that they were going to trade for a PG before the season.
2. I convinced myself that Ryan Anderson and Trevor Ariza were going to be positive difference makers, even though the evidence suggested that Anderson was done.
3. I sold myself a belief that Jackson and Bender were going to be better under Igor.
4. I believed that Igor was going to be a huge upgrade over Watson.
Igor was better. Watson was that bad.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Jeremy Lin still unsigned. he'll be a great pickup. for this team.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Remember, last season, we finished last in the conference by a margin of 14 games. We barely won half as many games as the second-worst team in the conference. We might improve drastically and still be the worst in the West, or close to it. I think it’s reasonable to predict that we’ll be significantly improved from last season, but that just doesn’t mean very much when you’re starting from such a terrible place.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:46 am
Remember, last season, we finished last in the conference by a margin of 14 games. We barely won half as many games as the second-worst team in the conference. We might improve drastically and still be the worst in the West, or close to it. I think it’s reasonable to predict that we’ll be significantly improved from last season, but that just doesn’t mean very much when you’re starting from such a terrible place.
Oh, I remember quite clearly, haha. Please don't keep reminding me.

The one thing I can say that I believe that I was right about last year was that they were much more talented than the season previous. It didn't turn into wins when the front office created such roster imbalance, both positional and maturity-wise. This was a clear blunder on the front office.

The Suns very well may still look bad record-wise in relation to the rest of the Conference, but I don't believe that will be the case. 538 has them at 35 wins, but I think the front office blunder made the stats of the remaining players that much worse in projecting how they will fare this coming year. If they would have had a real PF and PG all year, I feel safe saying that the record of the Suns last year would have been much better.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ValleyOfTheSuns argues that we should consider bringing back Tyler Ulis. Hmm. I don't think we need another young PG on the roster, though I do think we moved on from Ulis way too quickly and that he was better than we gave him credit for.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/07/19/ ... yler-ulis/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Slow news day? Where is the Ulis stuff coming from all of a sudden?

Anyways, I like Harper more. Stronger, better shooter, better athlete.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:34 am
ValleyOfTheSuns argues that we should consider bringing back Tyler Ulis. Hmm. I don't think we need another young PG on the roster, though I do think we moved on from Ulis way too quickly and that he was better than we gave him credit for.

I don't agree with that suggestion. It just felt that Ulis got bullied pretty easily by opposing teams. That ship has sailed, and I'm not longing for it to return.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ulis hasn’t exactly found another landing spot since leaving here. That kinda tells me he isn’t an nba player. Just too small unfortunately.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:37 am
Slow news day? Where is the Ulis stuff coming from all of a sudden?

exactly

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

That analysis really says we should expect not to be blown out as often, and less likely be down 20 by Q2 every other game. not high bars here.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:34 am

Harper is everything that Ulis should have been; I'd rather have him.