Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm
This was posted on the Suns Instagram page today - one of the biggest plays in Suns history, this block by Gar Heard sent the series against Golden State in 1976 to a game 7 which the Suns won, sending them to their first Finals -

<redacted>
Awesome! And with a great Al McCoy call to boot.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:01 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm
This was posted on the Suns Instagram page today - one of the biggest plays in Suns history, this block by Gar Heard sent the series against Golden State in 1976 to a game 7 which the Suns won, sending them to their first Finals -

<redacted>
Awesome! And with a great Al McCoy call to boot.
It still gives me goosebumps when I see that play.

You have to realize that a team who had had one trip to the playoffs in their history and was on it's way to upsetting the NBA champion and going to the NBA Finals.

1975-76 was a unique time to be a Suns fan, and just like your first girlfriend that flame never burns out completely!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I don't blame Booker for being pissed. Sarver has consistently assembled shitty teams around him, and being doubled more than anyone else in the NBA has to be frustrating. And here's the thing:

I'm not sure Rubio helps that much. Other teams can effectively ignore him on the perimeter, leaving people to sag or focus on denying the pass to Booker. The stats kind of back up the idea that his shitty shooting cancels out his passing: he ranked 36th among PGs in Offensive Real Plus Minus (i.e. below starter level production on offense) .We'll see.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I largely stayed away from the Booker stuff yesterday because it's all stupid. It's pretty much just content and engagement in August when there's nothing else to talk about.

Even so, typically, there's no doubling on the perimeter in pickup/workout games. Unless there's a big no one can guard in the post and someone needs help, there's no doubling. That's kind of known. He was playing to get better and work on offensive moves against his defender and team defenses. Book knows how to play out of a double and nothing in a pickup game with randos will help that. Knowing where a double is coming from and where to look to pass out of it comes from coachingm scouting and scheming in practices, not workout games in August.

There are a lot of people who either don't respect or flat out don't like Book, which is more or less an indictment on the franchise. Gotta take the hits until we're in the playoffs and he performs. If and when that happens, he'll be everyone's darling.

I do think Rubio will help tho simply as a primary ballhandler so Book doesn't have to do so much work. He may see double teams but it won't come as traps bringing the ball upcourt, which is where he struggled. And if Rubio is a threat to pass to everyone, then the defense has to account for that and can't just hone in on Booker. It's more about offensive balance than Rubio's threat as as shooter/scorer.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:24 am
I'm not sure Rubio helps that much. Other teams can effectively ignore him on the perimeter, leaving people to sag or focus on denying the pass to Booker. The stats kind of back up the idea that his s*** shooting cancels out his passing: he ranked 36th among PGs in Offensive Real Plus Minus (i.e. below starter level production on offense) .We'll see.
His ORPM ranked much higher when he was in Minny. He may have just been a bad fit in Utah.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Cap wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:44 am
Wormwood wrote:
I'm not sure Rubio helps that much. Other teams can effectively ignore him on the perimeter, leaving people to sag or focus on denying the pass to Booker. The stats kind of back up the idea that his s*** shooting cancels out his passing: he ranked 36th among PGs in Offensive Real Plus Minus (i.e. below starter level production on offense) .We'll see.
His ORPM ranked much higher when he was in Minny. He may have just been a bad fit in Utah.
Fair point Cap. He was 18th in ORPM in his last season at Minny. Could have been a bad fit. Could be he's on the downside of his career now. Still, his miserable shooting percentages will let defenses cheat onto Booker a lot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:48 am
Cap wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:44 am
Wormwood wrote:
Fair point Cap. He was 18th in ORPM in his last season at Minny. Could have been a bad fit. Could be he's on the downside of his career now. Still, his miserable shooting percentages will let defenses cheat onto Booker a lot.
I tend to lean on the side of he was in a system that marginalized his best skills in Utah. Idk right now what offense that Monty is going to emphasize, but I tend to think we will see a better version of Minnesota Rubio this season. He is getting discounted hard, because of how he looked the last couple years in Utah and how he took the brunt of the criticism there for not being as good as they wanted to be. This might be a rare case where both his previous team and his newest team get better.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:23 am
I largely stayed away from the Booker stuff yesterday because it's all stupid. It's pretty much just content and engagement in August when there's nothing else to talk about.

Even so, typically, there's no doubling on the perimeter in pickup/workout games. Unless there's a big no one can guard in the post and someone needs help, there's no doubling. That's kind of known. He was playing to get better and work on offensive moves against his defender and team defenses. Book knows how to play out of a double and nothing in a pickup game with randos will help that. Knowing where a double is coming from and where to look to pass out of it comes from coachingm scouting and scheming in practices, not workout games in August.
Amen Shel
I was disappointed with myself last night cuz I took ALL the Bait and I think I looked at the comments on every single repost. Overtime, Ballislife, B/R and I was getting pissed and ready to start tweeting ppl smh lol so yea I ended up wondering how I allowed myself to let social media bother me so much tsk
Anyways very solid post
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He is getting double teamed because he is dangerous on offense and they want to take the ball out of his hands. On one hand you can be pissed. On the other hand it’s the ultimate compliment.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:52 pm
He is getting double teamed because he is dangerous on offense and they want to take the ball out of his hands. On one hand you can be pissed. On the other hand it’s the ultimate compliment.
Or the ultimate insult to his teammates.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:25 pm
Nodack wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:52 pm
Or the ultimate insult to his teammates.
Or both.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Milk because he's got a creamy jump shot.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Doublegate continues:

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm sorry, who is Will Conroy and why do we care if he doubled Kobe?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:01 pm
I'm sorry, who is Will Conroy and why do we care if he doubled Kobe?
I can answer the first question:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Conroy
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There should be a song called the “Offseason Blues.”

SDC

Post by SDC »

Wormwood wrote:

I'm not sure Rubio helps that much. Other teams can effectively ignore him on the perimeter, leaving people to sag or focus on denying the pass to Booker.
can they though? leave him open from the perimeter?

the reason he has low efficiency in his shooting numbers is because he is easy to guard, because he lacks nba level athleticism. he cant make contested layups. he cant shoot off the dribble. he cant make contested jumpers. and he's teh PG, so when he shoots, it's usually off the dribble and not a catch and shoot.

doubling booker and leaving rubio wide open from the outside wont work (i am basing it on the fact that rubio averaged 86.5% from the line in his last 4 seasons)