Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:48 am
There should be a song called the “Offseason Blues.”
Write it! Perform it! If you need some bone backing, I'm your man.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:21 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:48 am
There should be a song called the “Offseason Blues.”
Write it! Perform it! If you need some bone backing, I'm your man.
Sounds good!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I almost always cringe when I see players posting on social media, particularly if they are trading barbs with fans or critics. It makes them seem petty and insecure, the thought of them sitting around all day arguing with nerds on Twitter. It's especially lame when you find out that many of them have fake burner accounts, often used to post praise for themselves or criticism of their opponents.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think it's pretty funny. It's become a national debate now:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-warriors-ke ... 31478.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/andre-iguodala ... 03505.html

I'll leave it to the NBAers because I play pick-up ball and for us amateurs, it's perfectly normal and acceptable to double-team the opposing team's best players. But pros working on their game is a different beast. I'll leave that debate to them.

I'd think it would depend on the situation. If you're just trying to win at all costs, of course you double team. But if you're out there to work on your game, that's probably not the time to double team with some rando teammate.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there’s a difference in providing some additional support from a help defender(big comes over on a drive, sending help on someone being overpowered in the post) and sending a double at a guy at the 3 pt line before he’s even made a move. The purpose of that double was 100% to just make booker give up the ball. If booker is there to work on his game and work on new moves, I can see why that would upset him.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Then again if he is the most doubled guy in the league he should work on exploiting a double team because when the season starts that’s what he’s gonna see.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:36 pm
Then again if he is the most doubled guy in the league he should work on exploiting a double team because when the season starts that’s what he’s gonna see.
That's what you workout with your teammates. Your real teammates.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Nodack wrote:
it was really bad last season when devin tried being Point Booker, and the point guard (in name only) playing off the ball were shaq harrison, canaan, okobo, melton-- none are good outside shooters.

Tyler Johnson will help, but he came in too late last season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
That’s a team strategy thing, not helpful to practice in a pickup setting as none of those guys are suns players.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Leaked floors for upcoming season.

Of course, the Suns will just have one version. This is not a huge deal, but I do wish that Sarver would get out on the forefront and stop always being behind the rest of the NBA. Is it really that hard to improve things like this? Is it felt like this is wasted money? Let's see where they keep falling behind.

1. Finally getting a practice facility. Currently have the WORST one in the NBA.
2. Worst scoreboard/video board in the NBA. Isn't that a late 2000's smart phone surrounding the screen? Isn't that the smallest scoreboard and video screen in the NBA?
3. 2 seasons ago, they had a 50th year court where part of the court was discolored. Really? This is the product you want to display to the rest of the NBA? You can't get a little thing like a court correct?
4. No chef on staff for the players. In today's NBA, all these seem like small but vital things. It makes you wonder what else they are skimping on that we can't see.
5. Smallest, quaintest, and most antiquated lockerroom in the NBA. I'll add in that the coaching staff offices are a joke. On top of that the workout facilities are smaller than Mom & Pop stripmall facility or a High school's secondary weight room.
6. Cut the scouting and analytics staff, because...we don't need to win on the margins?

Feel free to add more if you can think of them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

So let me see if I have this straight -

If a player says "Hey, I'm working on my game today" you automatically can't double-team the guy anywhere on the court?

How about "I'm working on my post-up game" does that mean you can'd defend the entry pass because he needs the practice?

Shit, go hire a coach or somebody to practice against then.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My take is that it's a little like playing 110% effort defense in the All-Star game. There's a tacit agreement about a certain way to play in certain games. The pick-up games are meant to be somewhat lighter fare, with players working on moves in a less strenuous setting than real NBA play. They want you to defend them, but don't smash and bash into each other, don't risk injury, don't take the defensive part too seriously. Let guys work on their moves and shooting and dribbles and let it be more casual. They can double Booker, it isn't against the rules, but it's kind of a dick move.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

So, Booker's so good he can't get in useful work in a pickup game against nba players.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:37 pm
So, Booker's so good he can't get in useful work in a pickup game against nba players.
Probably doesn't see going against double teams in open gym as a way to get better, since he would be forced to either shoot over the double team, dribble out of it or most likely pass out of it to players that may not realize where to be. It's something you usually work on within your team offense in his mind. Off-season pick up games are where you work on your individual defense and offense.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:48 am
So let me see if I have this straight -

If a player says "Hey, I'm working on my game today" you automatically can't double-team the guy anywhere on the court?

How about "I'm working on my post-up game" does that mean you can'd defend the entry pass because he needs the practice?

s***, go hire a coach or somebody to practice against then.
You don’t think he has coaches and trainers working with him individually? I guarantee he does. Pickup is a chance for him to incorporate what he’s working on into a live game. Sending a double, just forces him to give up the ball. What does he gain in that situation? At that point, why is he even playing?

Again, we’re talking about pickup. Who wins doesn’t matter at all, sending a double is just a dick move. If you can’t guard him, looking at you Snell, let someone else try.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:58 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:37 pm
Probably doesn't see going against double teams in open gym as a way to get better, since he would be forced to either shoot over the double team, dribble out of it or most likely pass out of it to players that may not realize where to be. It's something you usually work on within your team offense in his mind. Off-season pick up games are where you work on your individual defense and offense.
Yeah, and if he's torching guys so bad that they force him to give up the ball, then he's too good for that gym.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t think there are any written rules. Booker torches just about everybody one on one. Hence the most doubles in the nba. Getting doubled and passing out of it to an open man is something he should work on, no matter what the team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

They are unwritten rules.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

This is actually a story, because August.