Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Bucktastic365

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am

Sad this is; Ayton could do that to literally the entire league if he had the aggression

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This video has me very hopeful of what Jerome may bring. Could be the steal of the draft in a few years.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:

This video has me very hopeful of what Jerome may bring. Could be the steal of the draft in a few years.
I refuse to get excited until I see him against NBA athleticism. My feeling right now is that in spite of his shooting ability and passing instincts his slow footedness is going to limit his ceiling in the NBA heavily. I want to be wrong because I like the kid. He's got real smarts out there. You can see it. He's also gritty as hell. I just don't see him guarding Fox, Lillard, Steph, SGA, Murray, Brodie, or Mitchell. I don't see him getting by them either. Players can improve their speed and agility so I hope that's what he's been focusing on.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 pm
In2ition wrote:

I refuse to get excited until I see him against NBA athleticism. My feeling right now is that in spite of his shooting ability and passing instincts his slow footedness is going to limit his ceiling in the NBA heavily. I want to be wrong because I like the kid. He's got real smarts out there. You can see it. He's also gritty as hell. I just don't see him guarding Fox, Lillard, Steph, SGA, Murray, Brodie, or Mitchell. I don't see him getting by them either. Players can improve their speed and agility so I hope that's what he's been focusing on.
That's totally understandable. He has a very Nash like feel for the game, plus the sweet stroke. Doesn't seem to ever be taken out of a game because he's been locked down by premier athletes or kept in check.

I remember attending a coaching clinic at NAU when Nash was drafted and the Suns had training camp in Flag. His coach from Santa Clara talked to us about how much we were going to appreciate him and his bballiq. He said he purposely passed the ball to where it became hard for shooters to shoot it from, when he didn't want them to shoot. That always stuck with me. I don't think he even knew how good he was going to become.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Jerome's body looks like if any of my buddies somehow got drafted by an NBA team but on the other hand, very few can actually stay in front of the premier guards in this league. And among those who have a claim, how many do have a real PG game? The likes of Marcus Smart or Beverly are pretty limited, and higher end players like Jrue or Bledsoe are not true PGs either.

In any case, interior defense and switch-ability from our bigs will be way more important than Jerome's defense.

Actually, where his athleticism really concerns me is on offense. The sharks don't take long to smell the blood in the water when a limited player tries to do things with the ball. Jerome's handles are pretty solid and he even has a pull up, but if his feet don't allow him to shake off pressure, he'll have to get rid of the ball very quickly.

We'll see.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, I'm guardedly optimistic about Jerome. (no pun intended) I can't wait to see how he fits into the NBA game. I'm hoping for the best and that his craftiness can overcome lesser athleticism. Some of the same things were said about Nash when he entered the league.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:31 pm
I remember attending a coaching clinic at NAU when Nash was drafted and the Suns had training camp in Flag. His coach from Santa Clara talked to us about how much we were going to appreciate him and his bballiq. He said he purposely passed the ball to where it became hard for shooters to shoot it from, when he didn't want them to shoot. That always stuck with me. I don't think he even knew how good he was going to become.
That's awesome. He was also known for delivering passes to the perfect position for shooting the ball to players he did want shooting which I'm sure was much more common in the NBA. He had quite the cast in his second stint with us. Man, do I miss those days.
"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

On Ty, if you didn't get to read the article...highly recommend this one...I had posted it a while ago. It left me hoping for great things from Ty...you have to overtly enter the article link into the browser.

medium.com/@zach_pereles/ty-jerome-nba-draft-prospect-evaluation-highlights-strengths-weaknesses-aa34303cd786

Really good technical breakdown and good overview...

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

I won't copy the whole article...but from the conclusion section...

"...Michael Scotto of The Athletic wrote about Jerome and other New York-area native prospects through the viewpoint of NBA front-office people and scouts, and they came to similar conclusions. One scout mentioned, “What he lacks in athleticism and quickness, he makes up for in IQ, shooting, passing, decision-making, and intangibles.” Another called Jerome “one of [his] favorite players in the draft.” Four of the five people interviewed recognized he could struggle defensively, but all five liked his maturity, smarts and readiness to play at the next level.

Jerome would fit in well in an offensive system that stations perimeter shooters alongside athletic big men and follows some sort of structure while giving a certain level of creative leeway to players. That’s where Jerome thrived in his junior season—asked to run a scripted, detailed offense he knew to near perfection but also allowed to make some plays by himself where he saw fit..."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The best part about Jerome for me, is that we are not dependent on him to man the position, so whatever he brings to the table is a net positive instead of needing him to reach a certain level right out of the gates. Rubio is our clear starter and will see the other teams 1st units, so we can develop the kids during specific moments of in-game action against 2nd or 3rd stringers.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:33 pm
The best part about Jerome for me, is that we are not dependent on him to man the position, so whatever he brings to the table is a net positive instead of needing him to reach a certain level right out of the gates. Rubio is our clear starter and will see the other teams 1st units, so we can develop the kids during specific moments of in-game action against 2nd or 3rd stringers.

Let's not forget our puppy; Leques.
Im hoping that he's a variable in a year or so

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:23 pm
https://www.nba.com/suns/press-release/ ... mance-team
The Phoenix Suns have announced the club’s sports medicine and performance team, naming Brady Howe as Senior Director of Player Health and Performance, adding David Crewe as Director of Medical Services/Head Athletic Trainer, retaining Daniel Bove as Director of Performance, adding Adam Loiacono as Director of Rehabilitation, Cory Schlesinger as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Frank Adams as Assistant Athletic Trainer, Jeff Dolan as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Kohei Tamagawa as Sport Scientist/Assistant Strength Coach and Amy Atmore as Performance Therapist.

“I’m excited to surround our players with a diverse and dynamic performance staff where every effort revolves around comprehensive player care,” said General Manager James Jones. “The depth of knowledge and expertise will offer our players the tools and support to perform at an elite level while maintaining their health, and will serve as a great complement to our coaching staff.”
The details in that article worry me. The entire slew of folks don't have 10 years of NBA experience between them. I hope it means they will bring some really innovative and beneficial techniques and the players and coaching staff will follow it.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I hope it’s an indirect result of having a young GM, so his network is mostly composed by people his age, and not about people willing to work for peanuts in order to get a shot on a higher level job, how many of this guy are new at the level we signed them?

If you pay peanuts, you end up having monkeys working for you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:23 pm
https://www.nba.com/suns/press-release/ ... mance-team
The Phoenix Suns have announced the club’s sports medicine and performance team, naming Brady Howe as Senior Director of Player Health and Performance, adding David Crewe as Director of Medical Services/Head Athletic Trainer, retaining Daniel Bove as Director of Performance, adding Adam Loiacono as Director of Rehabilitation, Cory Schlesinger as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Frank Adams as Assistant Athletic Trainer, Jeff Dolan as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Kohei Tamagawa as Sport Scientist/Assistant Strength Coach and Amy Atmore as Performance Therapist.

“I’m excited to surround our players with a diverse and dynamic performance staff where every effort revolves around comprehensive player care,” said General Manager James Jones. “The depth of knowledge and expertise will offer our players the tools and support to perform at an elite level while maintaining their health, and will serve as a great complement to our coaching staff.”
The details in that article worry me. The entire slew of folks don't have 10 years of NBA experience between them. I hope it means they will bring some really innovative and beneficial techniques and the players and coaching staff will follow it.
There does seem to be a lot of young people, but Crewe(head athletic trainer) is going into his 10th season in the nba, so there is some experience there.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

"interesting" statistical anomaly: Mikal Bridges shot worse from on corner 3's tan he did on other 3pt shots. Almost everyone shoots better from the corner because it's a few feet closer and those shots are almost all open catch and shoot situations. Not my guy Mikal! He's his own man!

Code: Select all

Corner	Others	Total
% of FG	0.415	0.585	1
3pt%	0.315	0.349	0.335
If he works on just that one shot, he can improve his 3pt% dramatically.

Corner	Others	Total
% of FG	0.415	0.585	1
3pt%	0.385	0.349	0.364
(I've got a slow day at work. :lol: )
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:55 pm
"interesting" statistical anomaly: Mikal Bridges shot worse from on corner 3's tan he did on other 3pt shots. Almost everyone shoots better from the corner because it's a few feet closer and those shots are almost all open catch and shoot situations. Not my guy Mikal! He's his own man!

Corner	Others	Total
% of FG	0.415	0.585	1
3pt%	0.315	0.349	0.335
If he works on just that one shot, he can improve his 3pt% dramatically.

Corner	Others	Total
% of FG	0.415	0.585	1
3pt%	0.385	0.349	0.364
(I've got a slow day at work. :lol: )

As a shooter myself, I hate side shots. I like to be able to see the backboard when I shoot; it helps me with distance.

I can't say if that's true in his case, but I would venture a guess and say that his best shot is at a 45 to the rim. Im just too lazy to look it up, lol

Split T

Post by Split T »

He shot really well from the corners in college

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

A lot of talk of Ayton playing some PF this year. What do y'all think?
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:23 pm
A lot of talk of Ayton playing some PF this year. What do y'all think?
Defense, sure. Offense. No, I don't think so. He does not have the handle or the range. Modern pf's have to have a decent three.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oubre can play center!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan