Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:56 pm
I don't even think Simmons has been that bad against Toronto. They just don't send him many outlet passes to get going in the open court. He is scoring efficiently and often has Kwahi guarding him, which should free up his teammates to attack lesser defenders.

In any case, he's soooo much better than anyone on the Suns not named Booker that you have to do it if you can get him for cheap. Like Shel says, just put the ball in his hands.
He hasn’t been bad...just doesn’t do nearly as much as he did in regular season. They take the ball out of his hands and put it in butler’s.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo finally saying the Suns will have no interest in Terry Rozier!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gambo just said that he doesn't expect the Suns to go after Terry Rozier this summer. I just want to say, "Thank God!".
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

IIRC, that narrative started to change when Jones took over for McD.

I hope they stick with it even if (when) they miss out on getting a veteran PG this summer.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

They will get a vet pg, imo. I don't think they are missing out on this.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo and Sam Amico just said that the Suns wouldn't trade Josh Jackson for LeBron?!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm
Gambo and Sam Amico just said that the Suns wouldn't trade Josh Jackson for LeBron?!
If you hadn't already, that's the cue to change the station.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The idea of giving a player that cannot shoot from anywhere outside 10 feet and has been a complete liability in the playoffs a max contract is insane to me. Dude is so overrated. He’s a role player.

I’d rather have Lonzo Ball who will cost much less, but would provide the same needs the Suns are looking for.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:42 pm
The idea of giving a player that cannot shoot from anywhere outside 10 feet and has been a complete liability in the playoffs a max contract is insane to me. Dude is so overrated. He’s a role player.

I’d rather have Lonzo Ball who will cost much less, but would provide the same needs the Suns are looking for.
Lonzo can’t shoot either...and Simmons has not been a complete liability...that’s a huge overstatement

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lot of good suggestions on what to do with Simmons. Big one is you’ve gotta stop considering him a pg.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.therin ... oel-embiid

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:45 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Lonzo can’t shoot either...and Simmons has not been a complete liability...that’s a huge overstatement
He’s a better shot than Simmons. And most importantly he won’t command the max.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:45 pm
specialsauce wrote:

He’s a better shot than Simmons. And most importantly he won’t command the max.
The question is do you want the bad shooter who shoots from the perimeter or the one who doesn't?

Doesn't Rubio fall into this discussion somewhere?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The problem with Simmons is, what can you do with him when he doesn't have the ball in his hands? If Booker is doing his Harden thing and both Ayton and Simmons are on the floor, at least one of them needs to stretch to the corner. It's basically the same problem Philly is having with Embiid and Simmons right now. They both occupy the same space on offense without the ball.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:46 pm
No...don’t want anything to do with an aging Westbrook for $40 million a year

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:38 pm
The problem with Simmons is, what can you do with him when he doesn't have the ball in his hands? If Booker is doing his Harden thing and both Ayton and Simmons are on the floor, at least one of them needs to stretch to the corner. It's basically the same problem Philly is having with Embiid and Simmons right now. They both occupy the same space on offense without the ball.
Use him as the screener...don’t iso booker with Simmons on the floor. You’d have to get a little creative with both Ayton and Simmons, but I think Ayton will definitely be able to stretch to the corner soon. You can also stagger the minutes so Simmons and Ayton don’t spend a lot of time together on the floor. If they both play 36 minutes, stagger them so they play 24 together and 24 apart.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:18 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Use him as the screener...don’t iso booker with Simmons on the floor. You’d have to get a little creative with both Ayton and Simmons, but I think Ayton will definitely be able to stretch to the corner soon. You can also stagger the minutes so Simmons and Ayton don’t spend a lot of time together on the floor. If they both play 36 minutes, stagger them so they play 24 together and 24 apart.

You’re talking about having to stagger your best players because they don’t fit together. That doesn’t make any sense.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:41 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:18 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

You’re talking about having to stagger your best players because they don’t fit together. That doesn’t make any sense.
It makes plenty sense. You never have a minute on the court without one of your best players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also, Simmons looks pretty good tonight