2019 NBA Playoffs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:24 am
Lillard is hurt apparently. Separated a rib during game 2
That would explain the lack of "Dame Time".
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Raptors made it a series and held serve at home. Good for them. Didn't want the Bucks to walk away with it too easily. Kawhi was brilliant as usual. Looked like he may have hurt himself.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, what a game! Leonard just took over.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs First Round

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:20 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:00 pm
Welp, Bucks just got destroyed by the Celtics in game 1 in Milwaukee. No surprise there. We all knew an Eric Bledsoe led team wouldn’t go far.
This comment might not age well. I still think the bucks are the better team and my favorite to come out of the east. And with Bledsoe, it was never that he wasn’t a good player, he was just not a good #1 guy. He’s a clear #3 guy in Milwaukee, which is much more appropriate for his skills. He was very good for them this year.
You keep saying this and you're not wrong, he was great for my fantasy team for most of the season. The problem is that this is crunch time, and he has historically turtled when under the brightest lights.
The comment won’t age well because it was inaccurate. The Bucks are not an Eric Bledsoe led team. Far from it. They even took him out due to his poor shooting in OT and replaced him with Hill. I’m not so sure he’s even #3 on that team.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BTW, Bledsoe 3-16 tonight. 1-6 from 3.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The Blazers almost tipped in a sweep-clinching shot for Warriors at the buzzer lol.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why aren’t regular season games officiated like the playoffs are? They allow so much more contact in playoffs

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Glad to see Meyers Leonard have a big game. I've always liked him and wish Portland would use him more.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Well, the Warriors are back in the Finals. Most expected that, but there were some claiming that the Rockets had their number. I never bought into that; I think the Rockets are an impressive team but just don't have the talent of a superteam like Golden State.

As for the WCF, I thought the Blazers would take a game from the Warriors on their home floor. But it seemed like no lead was safe. I heard a stat that the Warriors actually trailed the Blazers in the series for more minutes than they led. Pretty amazing. Portland would get up by 10-15 points but then the Warriors would come roaring back every time. That Game 4 comeback win was so impressive. They just willed their way to victory.

I think the brewing drama with KD is interesting. They have won 5-0 without him, and Steph has scored 35+ points in every game, including a triple-double in Game 4 (along with Draymond Green, who also had a triple-double, the first time in NBA playoff history that two guys from the same team had triple-doubles in the same game). While I don't think they play better without KD, it sure is building a narrative that he needs them more than they need him. I think Durant is frustrated and doesn't like how well they're playing without him. He's even been making snarky Instagram posts about it. I don't think he likes how many folks online are saying that the Warriors don't need him, and that they play better (more ball movement, better flow to the offense, etc.) without him. I think this makes it more likely that he'll leave after the season.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am
Well, the Warriors are back in the Finals. Most expected that, but there were some claiming that the Rockets had their number. I never bought into that; I think the Rockets are an impressive team but just don't have the talent of a superteam like Golden State.

As for the WCF, I thought the Blazers would take a game from the Warriors on their home floor. But it seemed like no lead was safe. I heard a stat that the Warriors actually trailed the Blazers in the series for more minutes than they led. Pretty amazing. Portland would get up by 10-15 points but then the Warriors would come roaring back every time. That Game 4 comeback win was so impressive. They just willed their way to victory.

I think the brewing drama with KD is interesting. They have won 5-0 without him, and Steph has scored 35+ points in every game, including a triple-double in Game 4 (along with Draymond Green, who also had a triple-double, the first time in NBA playoff history that two guys from the same team had triple-doubles in the same game). While I don't think they play better without KD, it sure is building a narrative that he needs them more than they need him. I think Durant is frustrated and doesn't like how well they're playing without him. He's even been making snarky Instagram posts about it. I don't think he likes how many folks online are saying that the Warriors don't need him, and that they play better (more ball movement, better flow to the offense, etc.) without him. I think this makes it more likely that he'll leave after the season.
To me, Warriors vs Blazers was about Portland playing at an unbelievable level of focus and effort while the Warriors always had another gear to get in if they needed a scoring run.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am

To me, Warriors vs Blazers was about Portland playing at an unbelievable level of focus and effort while the Warriors always had another gear to get in if they needed a scoring run.
Agreed. People take for granted how good the Ws are, even without KD. They've been underrated for a while, Steph in particular, but there's no team that can match them offensively or defensively when Green is focused in. The Rockets were a joke and were never any comp for the Ws. They just weren't. I think it was part fans and media wanting the Ws to get knocked off and see Harden/CP advance and also again, people forgetting just how good Steph, Klay, Dray are, not to mention KD. Also notice how hardly anyone talks about them not having Cousins either?

Indy

Post by Indy »

The warriors have 3 first ballot HOF players playing in their prime, and two other likely HOF players (Iggy past his prime, and Klay especially if he leaves the bay and runs his own team). Nobody can match that. I doubt anyone besides the Celts 50-60 years ago could come close.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

04-05, 05-06 and 06-07 Suns could've! Maybe 09-10 team too....

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 pm
04-05, 05-06 and 06-07 Suns could've! Maybe 09-10 team too....
Who were the 3 first ballot HOF guys on those teams? I think only Steve was that. Marion might make it his first time since he won a ring in Dallas, but that hadn't happened at that point. Amar*'~e is likely behind Shawn in probability of getting in (and not on first ballot).

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I wouldn't say Green is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, but these teams come to mind as having three HoF players in their prime -

Chamberlain/Baylor/West - Lakers
James/Bosh/Wade - Heat
Chamberlain/Cunningham/Greer - 76ers
Bird/McHale/Parish - Celtics
Mikan/Pollard/Mikkelsen - Lakers
Cousy/Russell/Heinsohn - Celtics
Russell/Havlicek/S. Jones - Celtics
Cowens/Havlicek/White - Celtics
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:03 pm
I wouldn't say Green is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, but these teams come to mind as having three HoF players in their prime -

Chamberlain/Baylor/West - Lakers
James/Bosh/Wade - Heat
Chamberlain/Cunningham/Greer - 76ers
Bird/McHale/Parish - Celtics
Mikan/Pollard/Mikkelsen - Lakers
Cousy/Russell/Heinsohn - Celtics
Russell/Havlicek/S. Jones - Celtics
Cowens/Havlicek/White - Celtics
If he wins another ring this year, with his rep around the league for defense and passing and energizing that team, he will absolutely make on the first try.

How many of those teams also had 2 other likely (at the time) HOF guys?

And I think the James/Bosh/Wade is really James/Wade... ... ... Bosh. I doubt he is a first ballot HOF. His playoff averages in Miami were <15ppg and 7.5 boards.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I misread the HOF ballot thing....took it as no team can match that kind of offensive talent.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That was a fun game. The Raps role players really shined tonight.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I hope Lamarcus Aldridge returns to the Blazers to finish his career with Lillard. They’re two players shy (Aldridge and Nurkic) of making the Warriors sweat it out to a game seven.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Boy, to watch Draymon Greene and realize we had a similar player in Boris makes me sad.