2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
carey
Posts: 10482
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by carey » Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Question for the board... Did this lottery do anything to curb tanking?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by INFORMER » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Trade the pick
That would be unwise.
Mismanagement. Wasted time. Wasted Opportunities.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5112
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by In2ition » Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 pm

carey wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 pm
Question for the board... Did this lottery do anything to curb tanking?
It damn well should have. It felt like NY, Cleveland, Chicago and of course the front office of the Suns all tanked. Tanking is dumb and not worth it with these flattened odds.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

Possibilities at 32:
Isaiah Roby, Darius Bazely, Ty Jerome, Mfiondu Kabengele, Daniel Gafford, Dylan Windler, Chuma Okeke, Carson Edwards, Arturs Zagars

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5112
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by In2ition » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Trade the pick
That would be unwise.
Thank you. INF is a voice of reason.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

Possibilities at 32:
Isaiah Roby, Darius Bazely, Ty Jerome, Mfiondu Kabengele, Daniel Gafford, Dylan Windler, Chuma Okeke, Carson Edwards, Arturs Zagars

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by INFORMER » Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Indy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:18 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:15 pm
Well at least Randle is totally available for us to sign now!
that is a good point
Actually, he always was; New Orleans doesn't have his Bird rights.
Mismanagement. Wasted time. Wasted Opportunities.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by specialsauce » Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 pm

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Trade the pick
That would be unwise.
Thank you. INF is a voice of reason.
INF says that every year.

He values draft picks more than the actual players they turn out to become.

Just the way it is. Different perspectives.

I don’t want another prospect. I want a proven player. Trade it.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by INFORMER » Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm

You can get your proven players in free agency. It is silly to throw a lotto pick away in a trade for a midlevel player. Shoot, you can go sign Julius Randle, who is probably better than any player you are going to get in trade giving up #6.
He values draft picks more than the actual players they turn out to become.
That statement doesn't make any sense.
Mismanagement. Wasted time. Wasted Opportunities.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by specialsauce » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm
TJ, Warren, the 6th, and JJ will totally be in play this draft. What team bites at our pick?
I would package them in a trade for Jrue if AD still wants out.

Or a sign and trade for Russell if Brooklyn bites.

Or trade #6 and Tyler for Aaron Gordon, and find your PG elsewhere (Dragic)

Slim chance at Kemba at this point. Conley for Tyler, Milwaukee pick and Jj?


Many opportunities. They just need to be active.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by specialsauce » Tue May 14, 2019 9:26 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm

He values draft picks more than the actual players they turn out to become.
That statement doesn't make any sense.
I agree.


But you like the idea of the “number six pick” better than whoever it actually turns out to be. You like the draft, it’s understood. You overvalue the allure of those picks IMO

User avatar
djy2j
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:10 am

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by djy2j » Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Phoenix sucked at drafting, and that was even when they employed a scouting staff to go to games. Now we have put all our apples into scouting via YouTube. I’m sorry but I don’t feel like I can trust this team to make an educated pick at 6.

I think trading it avoids picking another bust by an incompetent organization.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by specialsauce » Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm
You can get your proven players in free agency. It is silly to throw a lotto pick away in a trade for a midlevel player. Shoot, you can go sign Julius Randle, who is probably better than any player you are going to get in trade giving up #6.

All the players at #6 will likely end up being mid level players at best. I’d rather trade for one now than waste another few years hoping they grow into that role.

I’d sign Julius Randle and use the #6 to trade for a PG.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by INFORMER » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 pm

That still doesn't make any sense. If that were the case, I wouldn't care who the Suns drafted. I think it has been proven time and time again that merely drafting anyone is not good enough for me.
Mismanagement. Wasted time. Wasted Opportunities.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by INFORMER » Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 pm

djy2j wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm
I think trading it avoids picking another bust by an incompetent organization.
That's how you wind up trading the draft rights for Pau Gasol for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
Mismanagement. Wasted time. Wasted Opportunities.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 6933
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by Split T » Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Trade the pick
That would be unwise.
Thank you. INF is a voice of reason.
For the record, I wouldn’t say this is my preferred route...mostly just reacting to dropping to 6th. And what we trade the pick for is really what matters. I agree that it doesn’t make sense to trade it for a middling player. But if it can be the center piece of a deal for a true core piece, by all means trade it.
Garland
Hunter
Culver

User avatar
iLLmatic
Posts: 3129
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:03 pm
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by iLLmatic » Tue May 14, 2019 9:43 pm

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Trade the pick
That would be unwise.
Thank you. INF is a voice of reason.
He always is. If we can get the organization on board we would be alright.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by specialsauce » Tue May 14, 2019 9:45 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 pm
djy2j wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm
I think trading it avoids picking another bust by an incompetent organization.
That's how you wind up trading the draft rights for Pau Gasol for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
You really had to dig deep in history to find that example there. I’ll agree to disagree with you.

I wouldn’t trade the sixth pick for 2 years of Conley. But I wouldn’t hesitate to send it off to get another core piece (Holiday, Russell, Gordon)

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3649
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by SDC » Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Cap wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm
TJ, Warren, the 6th, and JJ will totally be in play this draft. What team bites at our pick?
We’re going to be desperate to trade the pick because we haven’t scouted anybody. Pretty good bet we end up trading it for absolute crap.
lol, every other teams know the lakers and suns are desperate to trade their pick if it's not top 2.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by INFORMER » Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm
But if it can be the center piece of a deal for a true core piece, by all means trade it.
That just rarely happens. Cleveland gave up the 1st pick for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love was merely a whipping boy for LeBron; that role could have easily been filled but some vet on the MLE. Now he is just an albatross. Fortunately for them, Wiggins hasn't panned out yet, and currently looks like an albatross as well.

The Rockets move the rights to Rudy Gay (#9) pick for Shane Battier. He was a really good role player on a team that routinely got ousted from the first round.

There is the Reef for Gasol swap. There was the unfortunate pick dump in 2004 by the Suns. That led to Q, which led to giving up another pick to get Kurt Thomas, which led to giving up 2 picks. None of that was necessary.

At least suggest a player. To blindly hope to trade the pick just for something just feels like a course lacking any semblance of awareness.
Mismanagement. Wasted time. Wasted Opportunities.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by specialsauce » Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm
But if it can be the center piece of a deal for a true core piece, by all means trade it.
That just rarely happens. Cleveland gave up the 1st pick for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love was merely a whipping boy for LeBron; that role could have easily been filled but some vet on the MLE. Now he is just an albatross. Fortunately for them, Wiggins hasn't panned out yet, and currently looks like an albatross as well.

The Rockets move the rights to Rudy Gay (#9) pick for Shane Battier. He was a really good role player on a team that routinely got ousted from the first round.

There is the Reef for Gasol swap. There was the unfortunate pick dump in 2004 by the Suns. That led to Q, which led to giving up another pick to get Kurt Thomas, which led to giving up 2 picks. None of that was necessary.

At least suggest a player. To blindly hope to trade the pick just for something just feels like a course lacking any semblance of awareness.
Cleveland won a championship. Love averaged 16 and 10. Role player huh.

User avatar
djy2j
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:10 am

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by djy2j » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 pm
djy2j wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm
I think trading it avoids picking another bust by an incompetent organization.
That's how you wind up trading the draft rights for Pau Gasol for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
But also stashing Bogdan Bogdanovic then trading him for Marquis Chriss can’t make you feel any better about letting them use the pick.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Post Reply