Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 pm
If only David Griffin was available at GM when we were looking for one!
Robert Sarver burned that bridge long ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm
Shabazz wrote:
He said that he didn't think that the Suns would even ask him. Sounded like he would be open to coming back, but...I think Sarver would be the one that would have to make that move.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
He said that he didn't think that the Suns would even ask him. Sounded like he would be open to coming back, but...I think Sarver would be the one that would have to make that move.
Right. That's exactly what someone would say in this situation. It's more likely Griffin was just being shrewd knowing that Sarver would never do that anyway.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:47 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Right. That's exactly what someone would say in this situation. It's more likely Griffin was just being shrewd knowing that Sarver would never do that anyway.
Ok, that could be.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's pretty telling that everybody who ever leaves this franchise vows never to return.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:50 pm
It's pretty telling that everybody who ever leaves this franchise vows never to return.
nowadays. was very different under previous ownership

Pips

Post by Pips »

Dragic and Kokoskov dont agree.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Pips wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 pm
Dragic and Kokoskov dont agree.
Fool me once...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Golden State is killing it:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1141931512469839877

That's a great get for them. I love how aggressive they are in finding solid prospects to develop and/or fill out the roster.

Alen Smailagic looks intriguing. Eric Paschall should be a good fit. I'm only uncertain about Jordan Poole.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm always impressed at these franchises that seem to find some player late in the 2nd round or undrafted guy and bring him and turn him into a valuable rotation player. The Spurs are the best at this. The Warriors, Heat, and some other teams also do it well. Light years ahead of our front office; checkers vs chess.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Lakers signed Jordan Caroline. Nice pickup for them.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:05 pm
I'm always impressed at these franchises that seem to find some player late in the 2nd round or undrafted guy and bring him and turn him into a valuable rotation player. The Spurs are the best at this. The Warriors, Heat, and some other teams also do it well. Light years ahead of our front office; checkers vs chess.
Because they do their homework and get all the info they can on everybody, especially if you are looking at low picks or no picks at all. You need to wise up. Also helps that they clearly know what they are looking for as they have stable systems in place. PHX used to be like that for some time under Mike D, as imperfect as his tenure was.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:18 am
Also helps that they clearly know what they are looking for as they have stable systems in place. PHX used to be like that for some time under Mike D, as imperfect as his tenure was.
For some reason, the first thing I thought of when I read this was Marcus Banks. I'm so glad we dump those crappy draft picks and went with a "proven NBA player." Free agency is awesome.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:25 am
For some reason, the first thing I thought of when I read this was M****s B***s. I'm so glad we dump those crappy draft picks and went with a "proven NBA player." Free agency is awesome.
Heh. Don't remind me. Those 4M per season sinked in Banks look like small change now, but at the time they were a huge pimple on our salary cap face.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Also helps that they clearly know what they are looking for as they have stable systems in place. PHX used to be like that for some time under Mike D, as imperfect as his tenure was.
For some reason, the first thing I thought of when I read this was M****s B***s. I'm so glad we dump those crappy draft picks and went with a "proven NBA player." Free agency is awesome.
Haha, that's exactly who I thought of too.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:39 am
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Haha, that's exactly who I thought of too.
Jeff Hornacek. Cedric Ceballos. Many, many moons ago.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Last night the league announced its season awards.

MVP: Giannis
RotY: Luka Doncic
6th Man: Lou Williams
DPoY: Rudy Gobert
Most Improved: Pascal Siakam
CotY: Mike Budenholzer

https://www.nba.com/nbaawards/2019/finalists

So, let me get this straight. We could have drafted the Rookie of the Year, and we could have signed the Coach of the Year. But we blew it both times. Do I have that right? Okay, carry on.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm
Last night the league announced its season awards.

MVP: Giannis
RotY: Luka Doncic
6th Man: Lou Williams
DPoY: Rudy Gobert
Most Improved: Pascal Siakam
CotY: Mike Budenholzer

https://www.nba.com/nbaawards/2019/finalists

So, let me get this straight. We could have drafted the Rookie of the Year, and we could have signed the Coach of the Year. But we blew it both times. Do I have that right? Okay, carry on.
We passed on every other award winner on that list in the draft as well. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

FYI, as expected, Ayton came in 3rd in the ROY race.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So one of the bigtime weaknesses that McD had was talking, interacting and reading people. He was a bad judge of character along with developing and nurturing relationships. Maybe this time, the front office team of Jones, Bower, Bukstein and Williams are able to do a much much better job of this, and all indications are that they do. If they could have talked and interacted with Chriss, the Morrii, and Jackson, they would have known that they were not super high character guys that were going to improve every year and take criticism. Even Bender, if he would have really talked to him he would have found out that he wasn't just humble, he was a little bit of a shrinking violet.

He lucked into Booker, imo. SG was a need and Booker happened to be thought of as limited and dropped into their lap. At least it seems that Ayton(although I'm not sure about the fire in his belly), Bridges and even Okobo all seem like really good guys that are going to work hard on their craft. All signs seem that Cam and Ty are both hard workers and looking to improve on their craft, although I'm not sure about their ceilings.

I was talking to a friend last night, and we came to a general type of guy that you may want to go after. If he's not a super genetic lottery freak with unbelievable sheer will, like MJ, Kawhi, Giannis, and LeBron, some of the best bets on players are kids from Pro athletes, but not Superstar Pro athletes. These guys have mentors in their corner to understand what it takes to be successful and how to overcome things that get in the way and get ahead of even where they did.
Like:
Nash (who's dad as a pro soccer player)
Kobe (who's dad was a low level NBA player)
Booker (Dad played for a cup of coffee in the NBA)
Doncic (Dad was a Pro player in Europe)
Conley (Dad was an Olympic athlete)
Curry (Dad wasn't a super star but a good player)
Grant Hill(Dad was a HOF NFL player)
Trae Young (Dad was a good player in college)
Zion (Parents were college players/athletes)
RJ (Dad is the president of Canadian basketball and was a player on St. Johns)
Klay Thompson(Dad was a very good player in the NBA, but never a Super Star)
Sabonis (Dad was a great player, maybe the best to ever come out of Europe, but never a Super Star in the NBA)
JJJ (Dad was a player on Spurs)
Bagley (Dad was Pro football player for the Rattlers, and grandfather is Jumpin' Joe Caldwell)
ect.

This is not a hard and fast rule, but I think it might be something to think about in the future. Here's hope that Cam Johnson (Dad played at Pitt) turns out the same way.