Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by In2ition »

Would you guys be interested in bringing back PJ Tucker in the a 3 team trade even if it helped out Houston?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nope.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk, with the guys they brought in and if they add Beverly and Tucker, you are talking about a very different culture next year. Shooters, defenders, culture setters...sounds good to me.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Talk in another thread got me thinking. Who do we see as being the big winners this off season and what does that mean for us in terms of chances to move up the west ladder?

My power rankings based on how I think free agency will go:

Tier 1 - Contenders

1. Clipper - I think they get Kawhi and become a title favorite
2. Lakers - This will drop if they’re stupid in free agency
3. Jazz - Really like Conley here and could improve the 4 if they move on from Favors
4. Nuggets - They’ll probably replace Millsap and see internal improvements. No real losses.

Tier 2 Playoff Locks

5. Rockets - Don’t know where to put them. Could be Tier 1 if they get their crap together and run it back.
6. Blazers - Essentially gonna bring back the same squad I’d guess. Maybe find upgrades for Harkless or Aminu

Tier 3 Playoff bubble teams(In playoffs 2019)

7. Warriors - I think they could be in trouble, no real way to fill in holes left by Klay and KD injuries
8. Thunder - Probably gonna run it back
9. Spurs - Probably gonna run it back

Tier 4 Playoff bubble (Trying to break in)

10. Kings - If they can land a guy like Horford, I like their chances of knocking one of the teams in tier 3 out.
11. Mavs - Similar to Kings, could knock a team above out if they can get Kemba

Tier 5 Lottery Locks

12. Suns - I just think we have a better team than TWolves
13. TWolves - Towns is great, don’t see how they improve unless Wiggins develops out of nowhere.
14 Pelicans - Could surprise in free agency, but I think they’ll be fun but struggle to win games due to lack of shooting.

Tier 6 Tanking

15 Grizzlies - They’ll just let the youngsters play

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Would you guys be interested in bringing back PJ Tucker in the a 3 team trade even if it helped out Houston?
I don’t give a hoot whether it helps out Houston.

I don’t know what we’re planning to do with out cap space, but I would consider using some of it on Tucker if he comes with attached assets. Will they give us picks for the cap space? We gave up a pick to move Warren, so it makes little sense to use most of the Warren savings on Tucker without getting something back.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

No no no no. One stint of PJ Chucker was enough

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm
We could have drafted the Rookie of the Year, and we could have signed the Coach of the Year. But we blew it both times. Do I have that right? Okay, carry on.
We had zero chance of hiring Bud. He had his pick of rosters. You would be stupid to pick our roster (and ownership group) over the Bucks.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:29 pm
So one of the bigtime weaknesses that McD had was talking, interacting and reading people. He was a bad judge of character along with developing and nurturing relationships. Maybe this time, the front office team of Jones, Bower, Bukstein and Williams are able to do a much much better job of this, and all indications are that they do. If they could have talked and interacted with Chriss, the Morrii, and Jackson, they would have known that they were not super high character guys that were going to improve every year and take criticism. Even Bender, if he would have really talked to him he would have found out that he wasn't just humble, he was a little bit of a shrinking violet.

He lucked into Booker, imo. SG was a need and Booker happened to be thought of as limited and dropped into their lap. At least it seems that Ayton(although I'm not sure about the fire in his belly), Bridges and even Okobo all seem like really good guys that are going to work hard on their craft. All signs seem that Cam and Ty are both hard workers and looking to improve on their craft, although I'm not sure about their ceilings.

I was talking to a friend last night, and we came to a general type of guy that you may want to go after. If he's not a super genetic lottery freak with unbelievable sheer will, like MJ, Kawhi, Giannis, and LeBron, some of the best bets on players are kids from Pro athletes, but not Superstar Pro athletes. These guys have mentors in their corner to understand what it takes to be successful and how to overcome things that get in the way and get ahead of even where they did.
Like:
Nash (who's dad as a pro soccer player)
Kobe (who's dad was a low level NBA player)
Booker (Dad played for a cup of coffee in the NBA)
Doncic (Dad was a Pro player in Europe)
Conley (Dad was an Olympic athlete)
Curry (Dad wasn't a super star but a good player)
Grant Hill(Dad was a HOF NFL player)
Trae Young (Dad was a good player in college)
Zion (Parents were college players/athletes)
RJ (Dad is the president of Canadian basketball and was a player on St. Johns)
Klay Thompson(Dad was a very good player in the NBA, but never a Super Star)
Sabonis (Dad was a great player, maybe the best to ever come out of Europe, but never a Super Star in the NBA)
JJJ (Dad was a player on Spurs)
Bagley (Dad was Pro football player for the Rattlers, and grandfather is Jumpin' Joe Caldwell)
ect.

This is not a hard and fast rule, but I think it might be something to think about in the future. Here's hope that Cam Johnson (Dad played at Pitt) turns out the same way.
I read that Cam's mom played college ball too. Double whammy!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm
We could have drafted the Rookie of the Year, and we could have signed the Coach of the Year. But we blew it both times. Do I have that right? Okay, carry on.
We had zero chance of hiring Bud. He had his pick of rosters. You would be stupid to pick our roster (and ownership group) over the Bucks.
Yup, he's not stupid.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Absolutely. Still baffles be how underappreciated he was by many.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
It would be a great way to introduce Cam to Phoenix Suns culture.

Welcome, Cam. We drafted you because we love your shooting and you are ready to play. Meet Mikal, who we just traded up to draft last year. He'll be playing in front of you at SF. This is Kelly. We just signed him to a big contract. He will also be playing in front of you at SF. Say hello to Dario. We just traded a high pick for him. He will be starting at PF, and he's in a contract year, so you can expect him to get a ton of playing time. And here's PJ, a long time Suns fan favorite we just brought back. He will out rebound, out defend, and out hustle you, so you can expect him to get the remaining minutes at PF. Here's TJ Warren's phone number, you might want to call him to commiserate on being drafted here.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 am
In2ition wrote:

Welcome, Cam. We drafted you because we love your shooting and you are ready to play. Meet Mikal, who we just traded up to draft last year. He'll be playing in front of you at SF. This is Kelly. We just signed him to a big contract. He will also be playing in front of you at SF. Say hello to Dario. We just traded a high pick for him. He will be starting at PF, and he's in a contract year, so you can expect him to get a ton of playing time. And here's PJ, a long time Suns fan favorite we just brought back. He will out rebound, out defend, and out hustle you, so you can expect him to get the remaining minutes at PF. Here's TJ Warren's phone number, you might want to call him to commiserate on being drafted here.
Is it just because he's 6'9" that there is a belief that Cam will play PF? I'm curious why a lot of people believe this.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A stretch 4 in some situations, sure why not. Maybe not this year but it's possible once/if he adds some weight. And you'd hope that since hes 32 years old he's a bit stronger.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 am
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Is it just because he's 6'9" that there is a belief that Cam will play PF? I'm curious why a lot of people believe this.
I think it's just hopefulness, because otherwise there are no minutes for him. To get minutes for Cam, Bridges, and Oubre, you have to give them the backup minutes at 4 and 2.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 am
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I think it's just hopefulness, because otherwise there are no minutes for him. To get minutes for Cam, Bridges, and Oubre, you have to give them the backup minutes at 4 and 2.
We'll see how it all plays out, but his game is much closer to a 2 than even a stretch 4. I could see him as a backup to Booker before I could see him as the backup 4. And, if he keeps shooting as well as he did at UNC, he is going to steal minutes from Bridges and Oubre and force his way into the lineup.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Hey - remember last year when we had Josh and TJ on the roster, Drafted Mikal and then our #1 free agent target was Trevor Ariza? That was fun!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
I liked PJ Tucker and in a vacuum would welcome a player like him on our roster. But I don't think we should go after him this offseason. Just last year we signed a free agent veteran SF despite already having 2-3 rotation SFs who wanted minutes. And that turned out horribly. We need to learn lessons from our recent past failings. Our SF minutes need to go to Oubre as the starter and Bridges as the backup, with a bit of Cam Johnson in there in spot duty as needed. PJ gums up that rotation and takes minutes away from guys who need them.

You could argue that PJ would play the 4. But we just spent assets to acquire a starting PF in Dario Saric, and I don't want PJ starting over Saric. So PJ would then be our backup PF, and I would rather give those minutes to Cam Johnson, Holmes, Bender, guys like that who could be had cheaper than Tucker would. I also doubt that PJ Tucker wants to come to a 19-win team to play backup.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:24 pm
In2ition wrote:
I liked PJ Tucker and in a vacuum would welcome a player like him on our roster. But I don't think we should go after him this offseason. Just last year we signed a free agent veteran SF despite already having 2-3 rotation SFs who wanted minutes. And that turned out horribly. We need to learn lessons from our recent past failings. Our SF minutes need to go to Oubre as the starter and Bridges as the backup, with a bit of Cam Johnson in there in spot duty as needed. PJ gums up that rotation and takes minutes away from guys who need them.

You could argue that PJ would play the 4. But we just spent assets to acquire a starting PF in Dario Saric, and I don't want PJ starting over Saric. So PJ would then be our backup PF, and I would rather give those minutes to Cam Johnson, Holmes, Bender, guys like that who could be had cheaper than Tucker would. I also doubt that PJ Tucker wants to come to a 19-win team to play backup.
Ahem... 35+ win team (he's not being added to last year's team) but I agree with everything else in your post.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Interesting developments in LA :x :roll:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)