Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by JeremyG »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:12 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 pm
This Paul George trade proves everyone wrong who has said that Booker can’t demand a trade for awhile because he just signed a contract.

If he wanted Russell and the organization wouldn’t even pursue it, I would expect a trade demand sometime between February and July, if we are not competing for a playoff spot.
He can demand one all he wants, but the Suns don't have to trade him unless they want to.

That's what most people have been saying around here.
Let me reword that. The Paul George trade proves that Booker can force his way out, even at the beginning of a contract.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Paul George didn't force his way out. The Thunder decided to hit the reset Thunder. They were locked into the being tax payers, had a team that couldn't get out of the first round, and no substantial way to improve.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If you want a lesson from this Paul George, here's one: personal relationships aren't enough. Paul George stayed in OKC because of the friendship he developed with Westbrook. But at the end of the day, he wants to win. OKC was stuck, which gave George buyer's remorse.

So for the the contingent that wanted to bring in Booker's buddy: it wasn't going to be enough. Creating a bad basketball pairing just to appease Booker would have been self-defeating. The Suns need to build a contender. Period. That is what is going to keep Booker happy.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indiana's press conference coverage:
Warren echoed the "every day matters" theme. The Suns never made the playoffs in his five seasons there, never won more than 39 games, and won a conference-worst 19 last season. He didn't ask to be traded, but wasn't at all upset when the Pacers acquired him and the 32nd pick in the draft for cash considerations.

"Once I saw it, I was excited," he said. "I don't look at it as a slap in the face, I look at it as a plus for me, to get with an organization to be able to compete for something.

"I feel like every day matters here," he said. "Every day is taking seriously and I'm ready to contribute to that."

The Suns' offer came as a pleasant surprise to Pritchard as well.

"We weren't expecting that one," he said. "But when it came, we made the decision in five minutes. We knew it was the right thing."

Warren should become a capable replacement for Bogdanovic at small forward. Both averaged 18 points last season, and their overall stats from last season are remarkable similar. Warren, though, is five years younger, more athletic, more versatile and more of a shot creator.

He had not been a good 3-point shooter until last season, when he worked with Trevor West – the nephew of former Pacers forward and Warren mentor David West – and honed it to the point of hitting 43 percent of his attempts.

"A lot of repetition," Warren said. "I'm definitely going to continue that through my career.

"I'm only 25 and I'm only getting better. There's a lot of great things to come."
https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pritcha ... sweet-spot

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would trade Booker tomorrow if we got 5 1sts, 4 unprotected, 2 pick swaps and very promising young pg prospect.

Also, that warren stuff doesn’t sound great. Definitely sounds like Indy got one over on us. I’m sure they would have taken him into space without an asset from us.
Last edited by Split T on Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Imagine the army of 25-years-old rookies James Jones could assemble with that haul.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:12 pm
Imagine the army of 25-years-old rookies James Jones could assemble with that haul.
Haha, well maybe not a great trade for James Jones

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:08 pm
I would trade Booker tomorrow if we got 5 1sts, 4 unprotected, 2 pick swaps and very promising young pg prospect.

Also, that warren stuff doesn’t sound great. Definitely sounds like Indy got one over on us. I’m sure they would have taken him into space without an asset from us.
Let's see how he performs for them and how many games he plays before banging his head (or shin) before we decide if Indy "got one over on us". Maybe we gave them a gift but I was done with him. He didn't seem to contribute to us winning games. We had a log jam and now we loosened it up. It needed to happen. Maybe a more experienced and shrewd GM could have gotten something better in return (most likely) but I'm glad he's out of the lineup.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:24 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Let's see how he performs for them and how many games he plays before banging his head (or shin) before we decide if Indy "got one over on us". Maybe we gave them a gift but I was done with him. He didn't seem to contribute to us winning games. We had a log jam and now we loosened it up. It needed to happen. Maybe a more experienced and shrewd GM could have gotten something better in return (most likely) but I'm glad he's out of the lineup.
I’m not worried about Warren being gone...how he plays won’t really change my opinion. I just don’t like throwing away assets. And I’m talking about #32 here, not Warren. Before the trade I was hoping we could get something for him, but willing to dump him for nothing. Just didn’t like giving up 32 to dump him.

With better asset management I think we could have ended up with the same roster and still have all our future 2nd’s and that Milwaukee 1st.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:49 pm
If you want a lesson from this Paul George, here's one: personal relationships aren't enough. Paul George stayed in OKC because of the friendship he developed with Westbrook. But at the end of the day, he wants to win. OKC was stuck, which gave George buyer's remorse.

So for the the contingent that wanted to bring in Booker's buddy: it wasn't going to be enough. Creating a bad basketball pairing just to appease Booker would have been self-defeating. The Suns need to build a contender. Period. That is what is going to keep Booker happy.
We are farther today from a championship than we would have been with Russell.

Passing on giving Russell the max to turn around and give $61M to Rubio and Kaminsky was an awful play.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:12 pm
He'd find a way to trade all 5 picks for one 22-year old rookie and a bag of magic beans.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The Suns' offer came as a pleasant surprise to Pritchard as well.

"We weren't expecting that one," he said. "But when it came, we made the decision in five minutes. We knew it was the right thing."
Sure sounds like Amin Elhassan was completely correct about the Pacers’ reaction to the trade offer. I bet we still could have gotten a second rounder from them instead of giving them one!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SDC

Post by SDC »

tj warren, future eastern all star player.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:12 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 pm
This Paul George trade proves everyone wrong who has said that Booker can’t demand a trade for awhile because he just signed a contract.

If he wanted Russell and the organization wouldn’t even pursue it, I would expect a trade demand sometime between February and July, if we are not competing for a playoff spot.
He can demand one all he wants, but the Suns don't have to trade him unless they want to.

That's what most people have been saying around here.
It’s insane. He got $117M from the Warriors. Short of sticking a gun in his face, how were we supposed to top that?

A: I hear your kid wants a pony. You’re an idiot if you don’t get him one. He might run away or demand a trade.

B: I don’t have money for a pony. Or anywhere to keep one in our two-bedroom apartment. Or any way to take care of one. How in the name of realty am I supposed to get a pony? And by the way, he’s 22 years old and sufficiently aware of reality that I don’t think he’s going to run away over not getting a pony.

A: I’m sorry, did you say something? I couldn’t hear you over the sound of myself saying what an idiot you are for not getting your kid a pony.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm real glad we don't have DLo at that max number.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Trey Lyles had his offer rescinded and is a UFA. Wonder if we'd have any interest. Still some upside there as a 3/4.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We don’t have money....I guess if we let Oubre walk we might.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Do we have the Room Exception once everyone signs?

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:04 am
No, that was used on Kaminsky

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:04 am
No, that was used on Kaminsky
Ah, that's right. Forgot about him.