Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, Aztec. I'm glad you're around to help balance things out. It's the same reason I don't hang out with Debbie downers in real life. Life is too short. Most of my friends are positive people and fun to be around. I watch basketball for the enjoyment and excitement. Not to criticize every transaction for the "value" we did or did not get out of it or should have gotten out of it or why it sucks and will most likely be a failure.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

shaun livingston is still available. will he go to the clippers? lakers? houston?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:20 am
Thanks, Aztec. I'm glad you're around to help balance things out. It's the same reason I don't hang out with Debbie downers in real life. Life is too short. Most of my friends are positive people and fun to be around. I watch basketball for the enjoyment and excitement. Not to criticize every transaction for the "value" we did or did not get out of it or should have gotten out of it or why it sucks and will most likely be a failure.
Looking forward to see you win the bet!!! YES WE CAN!!!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:41 am
Superbone wrote:
Looking forward to see you win the bet!!! YES WE CAN!!!
:D
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 pm
Not saying that Rubio will be the next 2 times MVP, but is not out of the posible, that his arrival will have a positive impact.
Is there anyone that doesn't think Rubio will have a positive impact? This is a 19-win team that didn't have a point guard last year. It won't be hard to positively impact that situation. I don't remember anyone saying Rubio can't improve the team. I think the points of contention are 1) there were better options, 2) how much good his signing actually accomplishes.
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
The pessimist happens to be correct most of the time over the optimistic people, but we optimists enjoy the ride further and longer.
I have no idea what that means.

I really don't think it has to be this big philosophical, existentialist reflection on life. For me, it's quite simple: I see things and respond to them. If they're good things, my opinion is going to be positive. If they're bad things, my opinion is going to be negative. I don't make a predetermination as to how much positive or negative I am going to discuss. That would feel disingenuous to me.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Not to criticize every transaction for the "value" we did or did not get out of it or should have gotten out of it or why it sucks and will most likely be a failure.
I'm sorry, 'bone, but those things matter when you're trying to build a winning a team. I want the Suns to be a great team, and it bothers me when I see things done that get in the way of that goal. And I like to voice that frustration; it's therapeutic. :D When it comes to the teams I cheer for, I just can't be that "stick my head in the sand" fan.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:42 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am
Every player has faults. You're not going to find a perfect player to come to a 20 win team, regardless of a max contract. If it were DLo, it'd be defense and needing the ball to be effective. Kyrie, it'd be attitude and injuries.

I think the way the roster is constructed, we can minimize Rubio's main weakness as a shooter. We have Ayton in the post, we have Booker on the wing, Oubre and Saric are threats from 3, as are Kaminsky, Bridges and (hopefully) Cam and Ty.

When I see the comps to Nash, I never see them as comparisons in terms of skillset. I see the comp as a veteran PG coming to a young team with talent that needs someone to put it all together. Before Nash we had JJ, Shawn and Amare. Before Rubio we had Booker, Ayton, Oubre and Bridges. Nash was the engine to that Ferrari, I'll settle for Rubio being the engine to this...Audi R8?
I will say it again--signing Rubio is fine. It isn't a great or smart move, and we had to over pay to get him. But he should help the team to a point this year. If we are set on running the offense through Ayton a ton :) more, then his weakness as a shooter will stand out. If we do that, like Monty said, he better be running all over the place setting hard screens for Booker and Bridges and Cam.
Those are your opinions. I happen to like Shel’s better. It’s interesting how so many Suns fans like to crap on almost every move we make. Most of the pundits think it’s a good move but of course, they don’t know the team like we do so what do they know?
Sometimes it’s exhausting to read through all the vicious postings, trying to outsmart the people trying to keep a positive vibe, I come here to share and enjoy, Koo Aid aside, but some times the critic is out of proportion, with no room for hope.

Thank you; have to agree.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Considering that even in the Nash years, people kept writing off the Suns with legitimate and reasonable concerns that ultimately proved right, it’s actually easier to keep on beating the negative drums that trying to find the silver lining. Again, I’m not talking about Kool Aid talk, but to keep building on what’s posible for this team to achieve.

Funny thing, those years are now mystified and turns out that Nash cannot be mentioned in the same sentence that Rubio (talking about the moment of the signing, not two MVP trophies later) but on that offseason no one would have forecasted MVsteve, neither 7 SSOL, and of course, legitimate and reasonable concerns were circulated. Not saying that Rubio will be the next 2 times MVP, but is not out of the posible, that his arrival will have a positive impact.

The pessimist happens to be correct most of the time over the optimistic people, but we optimists enjoy the ride further and longer. I enjoyed those Nash’s years back then an now, instead of ripping apart the team then, and only dream of what-if today. Yeah, they fell short, the predictions about their lack of rebounding and defense were proven right, but hey, what a wonderful Hope was to watch them play against odds. Yeah, a lot of mistakes were made, lot of mismanagement, and yet, just a couple lucky breaks would have silenced those legitimate and reasonable concerns. Sadly, fate was not our side, unlike that recent Khawi shot.

To be strictly rational, and keep going over and over on legitimate and reasonable concerns, I have many other things in my life (job, family, health, pension fund, etc), so I like to take my sports light, to suck some fresh air, and dream every time my team it’s about to play. Like someone said earlier in the week, no matter how bleak the situation is, we are undefeated until the game is over. But that’s just me.

This.
Very well said. I try to find the joy in any Aspect of basketball. They could lose by 50 points but if somebody comes off for a good game, or has an amazing dunk that is a win in my eyes.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

How many of y'all actually play the game of basketball?
Honest question; if it wasn't for scorching SC heat I'd be on the court daily; I love basketball that much.

I have empathy for EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on a court, because I have been that player.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Not saying that Rubio will be the next 2 times MVP, but is not out of the posible, that his arrival will have a positive impact.
Is there anyone that doesn't think Rubio will have a positive impact? This is a 19-win team that didn't have a point guard last year. It won't be hard to positively impact that situation. I don't remember anyone saying Rubio can't improve the team. I think the points of contention are 1) there were better options, 2) how much good his signing actually accomplishes.
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
The pessimist happens to be correct most of the time over the optimistic people, but we optimists enjoy the ride further and longer.

I really don't think it has to be this big philosophical, existentialist reflection on life. For me, it's quite simple: I see things and respond to them. If they're good things, my opinion is going to be positive. If they're bad things, my opinion is going to be negative. I don't make a predetermination as to how much positive or negative I am going to discuss. That would feel disingenuous to me.

Yeah that peyote must’ve been real good prior to that grand speech

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 am
Superbone wrote:
Not to criticize every transaction for the "value" we did or did not get out of it or should have gotten out of it or why it sucks and will most likely be a failure.
I'm sorry, 'bone, but those things matter when you're trying to build a winning a team. I want the Suns to be a great team, and it bothers me when I see things done that get in the way of that goal. And I like to voice that frustration; it's therapeutic. :D When it comes to the teams I cheer for, I just can't be that "stick my head in the sand" fan.
No need to apologize, INF. I’m not one to get in the way of somebody’s therapy. But I also don’t appreciate the insinuation that I’m a “stick my head in the sand” fan because I don’t participate in your misery. You do you and I’ll do me.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

Yeah that peyote must’ve been real good prior to that grand speech
I pity you cynical bastards. :P
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am
But I also don’t appreciate the insinuation that I’m a “stick my head in the sand” fan because I don’t participate in your misery. You do you and I’ll do me.
That comment was about me; if I withhold an opinion just because it's negative, I will feel like I am "sticking my head in the sand."

I'm not complaining about how you or anyone else posts.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:30 am
shaun livingston is still available. will he go to the clippers? lakers? houston?
Thank you for trying to get us back on track.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 pm
SDC wrote:
Shaun Livingston should get a max offer. What is Shaun Livingston’s favorite kind of fish? Do you think Shaun Livingston would play for the Suns if we offered to sign his brother Jauhn Livingston? Have we mentioned Shaun Livingston yet?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Actually thought it was a foregone conclusion he would link back with Bron

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1152610821857349632

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Good for the Bucks.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am
But I also don’t appreciate the insinuation that I’m a “stick my head in the sand” fan because I don’t participate in your misery. You do you and I’ll do me.
That comment was about me; if I withhold an opinion just because it's negative, I will feel like I am "sticking my head in the sand."

I'm not complaining about how you or anyone else posts.
👍

This concludes our yearly discussion on the matter. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
SDC wrote:
That's what SDC is known for. :P
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:41 pm
INFORMER wrote:
SDC wrote:
Shaun Livingston should get a max offer. What is Shaun Livingston’s favorite kind of fish? Do you think Shaun Livingston would play for the Suns if we offered to sign his brother Jauhn Livingston? Have we mentioned Shaun Livingston yet?
:lol:
"Be Legendary."