Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Hermen

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:37 am
I don’t know what I’m missing with Dallas, but I do not see them winning 41 games. Thunder probably win more than 31 if they keep CP3. That team is still decent.
The Mavs won 33 last year with serious tanking after the all-star break. They traded away their starting line-up (except Doncic) mid-season for a guy who didn't play. I'd stay away from that bet, because I can easily see it going both ways. Carlisle is a wizard.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:37 am
I don’t know what I’m missing with Dallas, but I do not see them winning 41 games. Thunder probably win more than 31 if they keep CP3. That team is still decent.
They are basically replacing Jordan and Dirk with Porzingis

Last year their rotation was (with returning players in bold)--based on minutes actually played for the full-season, accounting for their changes with the trades:

PG: Brunson, Smith, Barea
SG: Luka, Harris, Hardaway
SF: Finney-Smith, Mathews, Jacskson
PF: Barnes, Kleber, Dirk
C: Jordan, Powell

They added: Porzingis to replace Dirk, Curry to replace Smith/Harris, and Boban for C depth

That looks like a much better team to me, assuming KP is back close to his pre-ACL and Luka continues his climb. They also have one of the best coaches in the league that won't be trying to give Dirk minutes when he clearly couldn't produce last year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Curry is fine, he’s not a huge difference maker though. They also lost Harrison Barnes. Porzingis is the key, I feel like he needs to be very good for them to make any progress. I just look at their roster outside of Luka and KP and don’t see anything special. They’ve got a lot of decent bench guys, but not a single guy I’d want starting for us.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 am
Curry is fine, he’s not a huge difference maker though. They also lost Harrison Barnes. Porzingis is the key, I feel like he needs to be very good for them to make any progress. I just look at their roster outside of Luka and KP and don’t see anything special. They’ve got a lot of decent bench guys, but not a single guy I’d want starting for us.
Yeah, when I re-typed that I left off Barnes with the outgoing players. my bad

And I am not excited about any of their other starters either, but Luka and (healthy) KP is a pretty good combo. And the rest of their team is much more of a team than we have had the last few years. With a great coach. I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I wouldn't bet the under on them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 am
Split T wrote:

And I am not excited about any of their other starters either, but Luka and (healthy) KP is a pretty good combo. And the rest of their team is much more of a team than we have had the last few years. With a great coach. I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I wouldn't bet the under on them.
That’s fair, I’d probably stay away from the bet, just because we have no idea about KP. If he’s playing 35 minutes a night, putting up 20/8 with 2 blocks and shooting 38% from 3, they could be good. But if he’s 28 minutes a night, sitting out back to backs, shooting 33% from 3, that team will struggle. They’ll need both guys to be great to take pressure off the rest of their rotation. I wouldn’t want to count on any of them for high level production.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:

That’s fair, I’d probably stay away from the bet, just because we have no idea about KP. If he’s playing 35 minutes a night, putting up 20/8 with 2 blocks and shooting 38% from 3, they could be good. But if he’s 28 minutes a night, sitting out back to backs, shooting 33% from 3, that team will struggle. They’ll need both guys to be great to take pressure off the rest of their rotation. I wouldn’t want to count on any of them for high level production.
Fair, but we don't have more than 2 guys we can count on for high-level offensive production every night, and you still think we are a mid-30s win team, right? And neither of our two stars play defense.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:03 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:

Fair, but we don't have more than 2 guys we can count on for high-level offensive production every night, and you still think we are a mid-30s win team, right? And neither of our two stars play defense.
Ya I think we’re in a similar situation as them. I feel similarly confident in Booker/Ayton as I do in Doncic/Porzingis.

I do like the peripherals of our team better.

I think Rubio is slightly better than Wright
Oubre is better than Hardaway Jr
Bridges is better than Jackson
Saric is better than Finney-Smith

They may win a couple battles on the bench

Brunson > Okobo/Jerome/Carter
Curry > Johnson/Johnson
Powell/Kleber > Baynes/Kaminsky

But I like our starters better. I’d put the suns around 35-37 wins.

I’d say Mavs are about there as well if KP is good. If KP is just ok, I think they’re looking at low 30’s.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think coaching and FO support/stability is a big factor, and we are very far behind the Mavs in that regard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Here’s a hot take for you: The Suns will have a better record than the Mavs this season.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:14 pm
Here’s a hot take for you: The Suns will have a better record than the Mavs this season.
Do you mean by the end of the 2019-20 season, or just at any point during the season?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Do you mean by the end of the 2019-20 season, or just at any point during the season?
At the end, silly.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
I think this, too. I love Luka and also really like (a healthy) Porzingis. But as others have said, I'm not sure KP gets back to 100%, and I don't like a lot of their other players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
I think this, too. I love Luka and also really like (a healthy) Porzingis. But as others have said, I'm not sure KP gets back to 100%, and I don't like a lot of their other players.
which of their rotation players do you think are worse than ours?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
At the end, silly.
I'll take that bet (and hope you win).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:02 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
At the end, silly.
I'll take that bet (and hope you win).
It's not a bet.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

so it is a hot take you don't expect to happen? or the margin of error is too slim?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:53 am
so it is a hot take you don't expect to happen? or the margin of error is too slim?
Sure, let's go with margin of error.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

I'd sign him for the minimum and get rid of the other excess PGs

SDC

Post by SDC »

Jeremy Lin waving off kobe and scoring (

BlaCkAdDa

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

SDC wrote:

I'd sign him for the minimum and get rid of the other excess PGs
I was thinking same thing when I saw the news on Lin... If we move on from Okobo or Johnson he'd be great for some spot backup minutes