Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Superbone »

I don't know if I like this change. So, fouled on a missed three and you go to the line for a single chance at 0 or 3 points. Meh.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm
I don't know if I like this change. So, fouled on a missed three and you go to the line for a single chance at 0 or 3 points. Meh.
I think it's tough for the 3-pointer as you say. And I bet the players like the little break between free throws to rest or do a substitution. I do like the goal of speeding up the game by eliminating a source of slowdowns.

Really the change I would want them to make is to have them speed up the end of games. #1 would be, if in the last N minutes (N=2?) you are fouled, you can choose to just inbound the ball rather than taking the FTs. And/or maybe you can't call more than 1 timeout in the last minute or two of a game, or something. Let's get rid of the "take 12 timeouts all at the end of a game" business.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm
Ultimately the scoring would be the same. If Harden gets fouled 10 times and shoots 90%, he either goes 9/10 or 27/30.

27 points either way. Could swing some situational spots, as 1 missed free throw would be huge...guess that’s why they are abandoning the rule in the final 2 minutes.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea not sure how I feel. In terms of late-game pressure situations where a guy is fouled on a shot, is there more pressure trying to make 1 FT vs 2 or 3 to win or tie a game? I think the rest thing can be important for the guy players but the "speed up the game" reason seems like BS to me because FTs take such little time. They need to find a way to make replays more efficient because those take way too long.

I'm still surprised they don't or won't consider giving an assist or half an assist for FTs made should it call for it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:38 pm
I'm still surprised they don't or won't consider giving an assist or half an assist for FTs made should it call for it.
Ultimately, that would increase assist totals but probably at a proportional rate across all players so I'm not sure what you gain from that data.

You can find "points created" stats online.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't like tinkering with the basic rules simply because they can't figure out how to streamline other things like replays and timeouts for commercials.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Agreed Bob. Don't fix what is not broken.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So had we kept Melton he would've been out and missed training camp/start of the season. Hate when that happens to young players going into their rookie/2nd year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Geez

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not sad we dumped him...he clearly had pretty significant negative value. Maybe this will be a wake up call for him and he can get his life turned around. It’s probably his last chance as he’ll be a FA next season.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Wow - kind of surprising his won't even be in training camp before going to the G-League.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Grizz have nothing invested in him, I’m sure they had zero interest in him as a person/player. They did the trade for Melton and the 2nd round pick. So unless Jackson shows he is worth the hassle, they’ll keep him away from the team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:38 am
Grizz have nothing invested in him, I’m sure they had zero interest in him as a person/player. They did the trade for Melton and the 2nd round pick. So unless Jackson shows he is worth the hassle, they’ll keep him away from the team.
How do you know this?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:33 am
Split T wrote:
How do you know this?
The fact that they don’t want him at training camp seems to attest to it.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Suns named 2nd most miserable team to be a fan of.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/245 ... -bases-nba

2. Phoenix Suns
NBA Movement: Even

Total score: 20.14
All-sport rank: 12 (even)
Ranking by category: championships, 1 (tie); playoff berths, 3; playoff wins, 10 (tie); heartbreaks, 28; rival comparison, 2

Why they stayed the same: The Suns continued to lag at the bottom of the league, finishing with the second-worst record in the NBA and missing the playoffs for the ninth consecutive season. Phoenix has lost 58 or more games in four straight seasons, while its 19-63 mark this past season was the franchise's worst since its inaugural campaign in 1968-69. The Suns, who have never won a championship in 51 seasons, have gone from very good but not quite good enough to not even close over the past decade.

Moving forward: It hasn't translated to many wins in recent years, but the Suns have drafted some dynamic young players in Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton. They'll be fun to watch, but it's hard to see the Suns emerging as a playoff team in a loaded Western Conference and a suddenly deep Pacific Division.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:42 am
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
How do you know this?
This. Plus I wasn’t making a statement of fact, just my opinion.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:22 am
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
How do you know this?
This. Plus I wasn’t making a statement of fact, just my opinion.
Yeah, it's a little damning that they don't want him around and the GLeague stuff doesn't even start for another month.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood... always the bluebird of happiness.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
How do you know this?
And that we paid them to take him.