Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Indy »

Would anyone take Frank for #32?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Knicks Twitter has stanned hard for Frank because they refused to believe he was taken as a big triangle point guard for Phil's offense. I think some here like him but he's been the Knicks' version of Dragan Bender. Literally the same start in the league, same issues, same non-factor on the court (Knicks fans have him as a HOF defender already tho). But he's not a PG, can't shoot at all, is too timid, and seemingly always injured. He's kind of your standard 6-5/6-6 swing that can play pretty good defense 1-3 but gives you nothing on offense.

Indy

Post by Indy »

so that's a no from you :lol:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ugh if we trade anything for him...

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d trade josh Jackson for him...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 am
Knicks Twitter has stanned hard for Frank because they refused to believe he was taken as a big triangle point guard for Phil's offense. I think some here like him but he's been the Knicks' version of Dragan Bender. Literally the same start in the league, same issues, same non-factor on the court (Knicks fans have him as a HOF defender already tho). But he's not a PG, can't shoot at all, is too timid, and seemingly always injured. He's kind of your standard 6-5/6-6 swing that can play pretty good defense 1-3 but gives you nothing on offense.
Dude, but wait until he gets going. Ask OG. :P
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 pm
No way am I trading Ayton for Davis. Ayton just had a better rookie season than Davis. Who's to say he won't be a better player.
The potential is there, but the sure thing is better by definition. DA would need to turn into an almost different player (mentally, above all) to reach AD's level. I love having DA and don't have regrets despite Luka showing a ton, but Anthony Davis is an MVP candidate in his prime. Would be a little like not trading for Barkley because you love Horny. I get it, but you gotta.
If Davis had 5 years remaining on his contract, I would consider it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:18 am
ShelC wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 am
Dude, but wait until he gets going. Ask OG. :P
He's special to me and his mother!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

There is word that the Pelicans may be looking to trade Zion for another superstar to pair with Jrue and AD to convince AD to stay. I'm not exactly sure which superstars are available. This could be very interesting. Who do you think they are targeting? Who would be better than Zion for them?

They could have nearly a max slot available in cap space if they don't have the #1 pick, Randle opts out, and they stretch Solomon Hill. Could they trade Zion and Moore for say Donovan Mitchell and Korver's non-guaranteed contract? Or maybe Beal is available in a trade. I don't know who will be or will not be available.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:17 am
There is word that the Pelicans may be looking to trade Zion for another superstar to pair with Jrue and AD to convince AD to stay. I'm not exactly sure which superstars are available. This could be very interesting. Who do you think they are targeting? Who would be better than Zion for them?

They could have nearly a max slot available in cap space if they don't have the #1 pick, Randle opts out, and they stretch Solomon Hill. Could they trade Zion and Moore for say Donovan Mitchell and Korver's non-guaranteed contract? Or maybe Beal is available in a trade. I don't know who will be or will not be available.
Griffin has talked about trying to keep Davis since day one. I hope he doesn't. NO doesn't need to spend more assets trying to keep Davis happy. It'll be tough to build a winner if they keep dumping good players for guys who don't want to be in NO. Instead, I'd love to see them get some assets in return.

Listen to this: The last 1st round pick they kept was Anthony Davis. They've been scrambling instead of building, and it hasn't worked out for them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Can’t imagine they’d get somebody that would help them more than Zion. Zion will be a stud right away.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:50 am
In2ition wrote:

Griffin has talked about trying to keep Davis since day one. I hope he doesn't. NO doesn't need to spend more assets trying to keep Davis happy. It'll be tough to build a winner if they keep dumping good players for guys who don't want to be in NO. Instead, I'd love to see them get some assets in return.

Listen to this: The last 1st round pick they kept was Anthony Davis. They've been scrambling instead of building, and it hasn't worked out for them.
I agree that they should have kept their picks and tried to build around Davis a couple years in the lottery while clearing space to attract FAs when they felt that young core was ready to start to compete, but they didn't. I don't think there is a FA or draft pick that's as good as AD, so losing him is going to be a huge blow to the franchise. If they can add two more stars that make sense next to AD and Jrue, and go out and compete for a title next year, you would think that AD would change his mind about the franchise. He can't really think that the Lakers front office has been doing the right things in a better way than what Griff has been doing lately to change things in NO, can he?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Zion for Lebron?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 am
Zion for Lebron?
Yikes.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:50 am
In2ition wrote:

I agree that they should have kept their picks and tried to build around Davis a couple years in the lottery while clearing space to attract FAs when they felt that young core was ready to start to compete, but they didn't. I don't think there is a FA or draft pick that's as good as AD, so losing him is going to be a huge blow to the franchise. If they can add two more stars that make sense next to AD and Jrue, and go out and compete for a title next year, you would think that AD would change his mind about the franchise. He can't really think that the Lakers front office has been doing the right things in a better way than what Griff has been doing lately to change things in NO, can he?
By the numbers, you're absolutely right. There's no draft or trade scenario that will bring back a guy who scores, rebounds, and defends like AD. But in the last 6 years, they've only been above 34 wins twice. I have a tough time thinking they can't win 40 with Zion, Tatum, and Brown or some other good offer.

Like you say, If they can add two studs, they probably should. I just don't believe that they can add the studs and the role players they would need to compete. It feels like the same treadmill they've been on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Zion buys them time...just get the best offer you can to build around Zion. They don’t need to win 50 games next year. Just show promise and let that team grow around Zion. He’s locked up for 8-9 years essentially. Just do it right this time and don’t make stupid decisions to chase wins.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Interesting idea though... What could they hall for Zion? Could they get an elite shooter... Do they have the salaries to send back for a stud?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:37 am
Zion buys them time...just get the best offer you can to build around Zion. They don’t need to win 50 games next year. Just show promise and let that team grow around Zion. He’s locked up for 8-9 years essentially. Just do it right this time and don’t make stupid decisions to chase wins.
I think it's naive to even say he's "essentially" locked up for 8-9 years. Looking at the recent history of the top players in the league, New Orleans should feel lucky if they have Zion when he's at the peak of his prime.

I also don't understand this narrative of stupid decisions by the Pelicans front office. They certainly weren't perfect (Solomon Hill), but their biggest move(s) weren't stupid. IIRC, Cousins and AD were playing pretty damn well together right up to the point that Cousins suffered a completely unpredictable injury. Most people thought the Randle and Mirotic moves would work out better, and maybe they would have if AD (and Klutch) didn't sabotage their entire season in January.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm
Split T wrote:
I think it's naive to even say he's "essentially" locked up for 8-9 years. Looking at the recent history of the top players in the league, New Orleans should feel lucky if they have Zion when he's at the peak of his prime.

I also don't understand this narrative of stupid decisions by the Pelicans front office. They certainly weren't perfect (Solomon Hill), but their biggest move(s) weren't stupid. IIRC, Cousins and AD were playing pretty damn well together right up to the point that Cousins suffered a completely unpredictable injury. Most people thought the Randle and Mirotic moves would work out better, and maybe they would have if AD (and Klutch) didn't sabotage their entire season in January.
They were 27-21 (56%) with Couisins and 21-13 after his injury (61%). I don't think it was unpredictable that Cousins would leave after his contract or that his contribution wouldn't show up in the standings.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm
Split T wrote:

No one turns down the rookie max extension.