Whom to pick at 6

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Assuming we keep the pick, who do you want at 6?

Jarrett Culver
24%
Darius Garland
16%
Deandre Hunter
3%
Coby White
5%
Cam Reddish
3%
Brandon Clarke
22%
Nassir Little
No votes
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
No votes
PJ Washington
No votes
Goga Bitadze
3%
The Suns are idiots if they keep this pick
24%

Total votes: 37

AmareIsGod

Re: Who to pick at 6

Post by AmareIsGod »

Isaiah Thomas? Yuck, Informer. Is that really you? Was your account hacked?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure he was advocating for signing him. I think the question was "who is gettable" and that was a response.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

This board is pretty split this year. Votes all over the place

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 am
I may change my vote. I initially clicked Culver because he seemed like BPA. But then I watched some videos and read about Clarke and just liked the feel of his game better and the fit for us, so I switched my vote to him. But as I read more, I may change my mind.

I have to admit that I often do what so many people say not to do: I do look at the draft based on team needs and fit. For example, I have a hard time looking at SG prospects in this draft. We have Booker. Why should we draft an SG? I have heard all the arguments and I understand them. We won 19 games. We don't have hardly any talent. We should draft the best player. I get it.

But in today's NBA, you have almost no data to go on. You see these kids play a couple dozen games over one season, mostly. They play a few tournament games. Then you have to decide whom to draft. We hardly know them, and their games may change a lot in their careers. There's almost no consensus about who is going to be a great pick beyond the top 1-2 guys. So why not draft a guy who would fill an important need if he turned out to be a star? It's almost a complete crapshoot anyway. Even if some SG/SF prospect is good, what good will it do him to languish on our bench? Why not draft an exciting young PF or PG and give him actual minutes and an actual role?

I may need to rethink how I look at the draft, but I find it really hard not to think about our roster and needs when I evaluate these guys. That's why I am drawn to prospects like Clarke (PF) or White (PG) more than, say, Culver or Reddish.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 am
specialsauce wrote:
I may change my vote. I initially clicked Culver because he seemed like BPA. But then I watched some videos and read about Clarke and just liked the feel of his game better and the fit for us, so I switched my vote to him. But as I read more, I may change my mind.

I have to admit that I often do what so many people say not to do: I do look at the draft based on team needs and fit. For example, I have a hard time looking at SG prospects in this draft. We have Booker. Why should we draft an SG? I have heard all the arguments and I understand them. We won 19 games. We don't have hardly any talent. We should draft the best player. I get it.

But in today's NBA, you have almost no data to go on. You see these kids play a couple dozen games over one season, mostly. They play a few tournament games. Then you have to decide whom to draft. We hardly know them, and their games may change a lot in their careers. There's almost no consensus about who is going to be a great pick beyond the top 1-2 guys. So why not draft a guy who would fill an important need if he turned out to be a star? It's almost a complete crapshoot anyway. Even if some SG/SF prospect is good, what good will it do him to languish on our bench? Why not draft an exciting young PF or PG and give him actual minutes and an actual role?

I may need to rethink how I look at the draft, but I find it really hard not to think about our roster and needs when I evaluate these guys. That's why I am drawn to prospects like Clarke (PF) or White (PG) more than, say, Culver or Reddish.
To be honest, it is hard not to when there are such glaring holes in the roster, and a relatively small amount of cap space to address them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
I was wondering if that would happen, part of the reason I made the poll. I picked Garland, but I’m hardly committed to him, I very well may change my mind.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's amazing how not taking Fox 2 years ago is still affecting this franchise. McD really set us back with that one.

I still think Clarke at 6 is a major reach but I also don't want another swing taken. It's just going to create another logjam and minutes crunch. I believe in drafting the BPA but we have overwhelming needs at PG and PF. I'm not convinced of the guys at PG and PF at 6. It's just a tough situation all around.

BTW, how come Hachimura isn't getting more attention? Am I missing something there?

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I want Darius Garland. He's a PG with good handles and he's reportedly a good shooter. That's exactly what we need.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 am
It's amazing how not taking Fox 2 years ago is still affecting this franchise. McD really set us back with that one.

I still think Clarke at 6 is a major reach but I also don't want another swing taken. It's just going to create another logjam and minutes crunch. I believe in drafting the BPA but we have overwhelming needs at PG and PF. I'm not convinced of the guys at PG and PF at 6. It's just a tough situation all around.

BTW, how come Hachimura isn't getting more attention? Am I missing something there?
Clarke is a PF.

I’m not an expert on Hachimura...feels very similar to TJ. All offense, no defense, no passing. Good shooter, questionable range. I just don’t think he does much for us. I’ve seen Jabari comparisons as well.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I gotta say
As always the amount of Info I get on here regarding players is great. I can't pretend that I went and watch videos on all these players but I think I can safely say that I want us to draft Brandon Culver 8-) :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
He's not that good. I mean, he's an ok prospect but he shoots with the wrong hand, came to basketball late, and seems to lack feel for the game. He's athletic and a hard worker but I struggle to see how he will succeed in the league at current.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

According to Gambo, the Suns are going to end up picking Coby White.
...I think I'm going to be sick...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am
I want Darius Garland. He's a PG with good handles and he's reportedly a good shooter. That's exactly what we need.
Won't he likely be gone by #6? I could see either LAL or CLE taking him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm
I don’t get this, I’m no draft expert, but not sure what the appeal is. Someone convince me why he’d be good?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo also says the Suns will refuse to trade #6 for Dinwiddie even if he’s available.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm
I don’t get this, I’m no draft expert, but not sure what the appeal is. Someone convince me why he’d be good?
Shooting, athleticism, defensive potential, willing passer. Will still allow Booker to play point book in closing situations. That's all I got.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If McD didn't f everything up, starting with trading for Knight:
1. he would have picked Fox
2. we could have had SGA since we would have picked Bridges outright and would have only traded away 16 and the Mil pick.
3. the Miami unprotected '21 pick
4. probably a happier TJ
5. $26 Mil in cap space with no need to pick a crappy pg this year.

Potential depth chart would have looked like this going into the draft:
Fox/SGA/Harrison
Booker/Daniels/??
Warren/Bridges/??
??/??
Ayton/??
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I always take Gambo with a grain of salt. He clearly does have some access and proximity to the team and its front office, so what he says merits attention. But I don't think what he says can be taken at face value. For one thing, the F.O. knows that he'll publish whatever they tell him. So they can feed him information to get things out there to gauge the reaction. Or they can feed him misinformation that will come out as part of a negotiating strategy. That comment about how they won't trade the #6 pick for Dinwiddie reeks of such a tactic. They want it to get out there that they won't give up #6 as an initial negotiating position.

As for his comment about White, that could also be to hide who we are truly interested in. We've had Culver and Clarke in for workouts, so one of those guys is likely our favorite so far.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we do take white, I hope it’s after we trade down.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Get me excited about Coby White, fam. What's to like? The nearly 4 assists and 3 turnovers a game?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton