Whom to pick at 6

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Assuming we keep the pick, who do you want at 6?

Jarrett Culver
24%
Darius Garland
16%
Deandre Hunter
3%
Coby White
5%
Cam Reddish
3%
Brandon Clarke
22%
Nassir Little
No votes
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
No votes
PJ Washington
No votes
Goga Bitadze
3%
The Suns are idiots if they keep this pick
24%

Total votes: 37

djy2j

Re: Who to pick at 6

Post by djy2j »

Tyler Johnson and huge improvement don’t belong in the same sentence. He’ll be running an offense the he and none of the Suns have run before with Monty being the new coach. I’m hoping he comes off the bench if I’m fact he’s still on the team and hope the Suns can get a legit PG to run this team.

He can be a decent role player but I want no part of him starting. Most teams had put it into cruise control against us when he was on the team also.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:10 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm
I believe there's a non-zero percent chance that Oubre is the starting 4 on opening night.
Better than Ariza.
That's nothing.

If Oubre is used at PF, we are going to be abused on the glass and he won't provide any rim protection either. This is no way to face a real problem such as the huge hole we have at PF.

Btw, according to 82games, none of our top20 lineups had Oubre at PF (and they are pretty exhaustive; they even have one unit on record with Spalding).

I want JJones to just do his work and get a real stretch PF and one C/PF to come off the bench. Keep Oubre and Warren (if he stays) as wings.

Indy

Post by Indy »

djy2j wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 pm
Tyler Johnson and huge improvement don’t belong in the same sentence. He’ll be running an offense the he and none of the Suns have run before with Monty being the new coach. I’m hoping he comes off the bench if I’m fact he’s still on the team and hope the Suns can get a legit PG to run this team.

He can be a decent role player but I want no part of him starting. Most teams had put it into cruise control against us when he was on the team also.
Tyler Johnson is a huge improvement over what we ran out there for 70 games last year. He may not be a top 20 PG in the league, and I would prefer a very good pairing with Booker in the back court. But I think if we are talking about people already under contract, I am more worried about our PF/C positions than the back court. For starting PF we have nobody, and for backup PF we have nobody, and for backup C we have nobody. Well, we do have Spalding on a non-guaranteed deal, but that is it. TJ is not a PF, and neither is Oubre. I realize they will both be forced to play there at times, but we have 48 minutes a game at that spot.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:28 am
djy2j wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Tyler Johnson is a huge improvement over what we ran out there for 70 games last year. He may not be a top 20 PG in the league, and I would prefer a very good pairing with Booker in the back court. But I think if we are talking about people already under contract, I am more worried about our PF/C positions than the back court. For starting PF we have nobody, and for backup PF we have nobody, and for backup C we have nobody. Well, we do have Spalding on a non-guaranteed deal, but that is it. TJ is not a PF, and neither is Oubre. I realize they will both be forced to play there at times, but we have 48 minutes a game at that spot.
This.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

You make a fair case for keeping TJ next to Book. A good stretch PF would do well alongside Ayton. But I think a floor general would really pay off developmentally for both our youth and team all around. This team is ripe for a point god or someone close to it. If the Colangelos were still around there wouldn’t be any of this ambiguous point guard bullcrap. They’d trade for the second pick or Conley.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Tyler was definitely an improvement over Canaan, Melton, and Okobo. I just thing his impact was a bit overstated. He played mostly against teams that had their playoff fates already sealed.

He’s never been much of a playmaker whether he knows the offense or not.

I just don’t see how we win more than 25 games if he is who we are putting out at point this season.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I liked what I saw from Tyler Johnson last season. He has value on the court and with his large expiring contract. I think it would be unwise to just disregard this summer. He could be a big piece of a mid-season deal that brings in a higher caliber player off of a salary shedding lottery team.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He averaged 11.1 ppg and 4.2 apg for us (along with 4 rebounds, 1.1 steals, 1.1 turnovers) in 31.2 minutes/game over 13 games. That's not bad, but it's not exceptional, and it isn't worth $19m/year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... sty01.html

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:46 pm
I liked what I saw from Tyler Johnson last season. He has value on the court and with his large expiring contract. I think it would be unwise to just disregard this summer. He could be a big piece of a mid-season deal that brings in a higher caliber player off of a salary shedding lottery team.
Sure. But if you don't stretch him or use him this summer, our ability to add to this roster decreases greatly. You know what? I'd rather have Anderson's contract, owe him 5M less and just stretch him without having to think twice about it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I really like this kid:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I also like Herro. I feel like he's going to be taken much earlier than most are expecting, or he'll go in the late first round and look like a steal for that team in a year from now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:46 pm
Sure. But if you don't stretch him or use him this summer, our ability to add to this roster decreases greatly. You know what? I'd rather have Anderson's contract, owe him 5M less and just stretch him without having to think twice about it.
I disagree. Most importantly, Tyler Johnson is an NBA player and Ryan Anderson is not. There's also no reason to have the roster set by the end of the summer. That's how teams dig themselves into a hole when it's clearly not working out by mid-December.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:57 pm
You make a fair case for keeping TJ next to Book. A good stretch PF would do well alongside Ayton. But I think a floor general would really pay off developmentally for both our youth and team all around. This team is ripe for a point god or someone close to it. If the Colangelos were still around there wouldn’t be any of this ambiguous point guard bullcrap. They’d trade for the second pick or Conley.
Just to be clear, I would prefer an upgrade at PG, a starting caliber PF that can stretch the floor and rebound and help Ayton on defense, as well as sign a back up Center/PF to go along with re-signing Kelly. I just don't see how we make all of that happen. So if I am trying to balance our needs, it lean towards the front court. But that 19M would be great if we could turn it into to something worth 19M--Tyler isn't. And stretching him means we have that dead money sitting on our books for 3 years.

I think we are going to keep him, draft White (ugh), then use Tyler as an expiring near the deadline to give a team in salary cap hell an out while hopefully getting a good young guy to go along with a not-great contract.

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way, if we do end up with a decent solution at PG, would anyone be willing to build a package around Tyler, TJ, Josh and other draft assets for Blake? His contract is crazy, I know, but he would be a great fit on this team.

Obviously Detroit wouldn't consider it unless they take a step backwards this year and see themselves in 9-12 seed territory the next few years and want to blow it up. They would save like 50M this way.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm
By the way, if we do end up with a decent solution at PG, would anyone be willing to build a package around Tyler, TJ, Josh and other draft assets for Blake? His contract is crazy, I know, but he would be a great fit on this team.

Obviously Detroit wouldn't consider it unless they take a step backwards this year and see themselves in 9-12 seed territory the next few years and want to blow it up. They would save like 50M this way.
We could trade down and grab Atlantas picks using one to keep and the other to package to Detroit. Blake would have fun in Phx. Something needs to happen.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm

We could trade down and grab Atlantas picks using one to keep and the other to package to Detroit. Blake would have fun in Phx. Something needs to happen.
I think it would have to be a mid-season trade because I can't see them deciding to blow it up before free agency happens and they get 20-30 games under the belt.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Blake is a really good fit here. He kinda solves a lot of problems.

Another ball handler and playmaker - Check
Stretch 4 - Check
Rebounding help - Check

He doesn’t provide rim protection, but he gives us a lot of flexibility with our 5th starter. You could start Bridges in the backcourt with Booker if you want.

Injury issues would be my only concern.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm
I also like Herro. I feel like he's going to be taken much earlier than most are expecting, or he'll go in the late first round and look like a steal for that team in a year from now.
Yeah, but who wants to watch a bunch of Herro ball?
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:13 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm
Yeah, but who wants to watch a bunch of Herro ball?
Alright, now that that's out of the way, can we all agree to never make that obvious joke again for the rest of Tyler Herro's career? 8-)