Whom to pick at 6

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Assuming we keep the pick, who do you want at 6?

Jarrett Culver
24%
Darius Garland
16%
Deandre Hunter
3%
Coby White
5%
Cam Reddish
3%
Brandon Clarke
22%
Nassir Little
No votes
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
No votes
PJ Washington
No votes
Goga Bitadze
3%
The Suns are idiots if they keep this pick
24%

Total votes: 37

Superbone

Re: Who to pick at 6

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:47 am
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:31 am
Reading between the lines, Coby White is our guy.

We'll end up hating him by the end of the season. This is a weak draft past Morant. I think his closest comp is Elfrid Payton, and we let him walk. He's a bad fit next to Booker and especially Ayton.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019 ... ce=twitter
"reading between the lines?" Pretty sure most outlets with supposed inside info have us taking him at 6. I think that is just reading the lines.
This. And Wormwood’s stamp of disapproval is a good sign for us.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 am
Indy wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

We'll end up hating him by the end of the season. This is a weak draft past Morant. I think his closest comp is Elfrid Payton, and we let him walk. He's a bad fit next to Booker and especially Ayton.

"reading between the lines?" Pretty sure most outlets with supposed inside info have us taking him at 6. I think that is just reading the lines.
I am not sure just because worm things someone will be awful that it means the opposite. But he is certainly further down the spectrum of shit-colored vs rose-colored glasses than you are up it. :P

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 am
Agreed. Its been hard for me to see anything but Crawford or Brandon Knight. How is that what this team needs?
It depends on which version of those guys you’re talking about. Milwaukee Knight we could use, Suns Knight was garbage. Prime Crawford we could also use, 39 year old Crawford would be disappointing for a 6th pick. I’m not in the we need a Steve Nash pg crowd though. Someone who can split ball handling duties with Booker is what we need. I think White will be able to do that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

I am not sure just because worm things someone will be awful that it means the opposite. But he is certainly further down the spectrum of s*** vs rose-colored glasses than you are up it. :P
Heh. And I just like to mess with Wormy. :P
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:14 am
jonh wrote:
Agreed. Its been hard for me to see anything but Crawford or Brandon Knight. How is that what this team needs?
It depends on which version of those guys you’re talking about. Milwaukee Knight we could use, Suns Knight was garbage. Prime Crawford we could also use, 39 year old Crawford would be disappointing for a 6th pick. I’m not in the we need a Steve Nash pg crowd though. Someone who can split ball handling duties with Booker is what we need. I think White will be able to do that.
If our track record shows that this type of point guard has historically regressed when playing alongside Devin Booker, perhaps drafting another one may not make the most sense for White or for the team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
jonh wrote:
I think we need more than just someone that can handle the ball half the time. If he is going to be in the starting back court with Book, he needs to be able to hit 3s really well, and guard both back court spots. We need to surround Booker with good, switchable defenders at 1 and 3. That way, Book can take the easiest assignment 1-3 and we are still covered. Bridges has that at the 3, but we really need that at the 1. I would say we need that as much as we need shooting.

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 am
Split T wrote:
jonh wrote:
If our track record shows that this type of point guard has historically regressed when playing alongside Devin Booker, perhaps drafting another one may not make the most sense for White or for the team.
I don’t think that had anything to do with Booker. Knight got hurt and he’s been garbage since leaving Booker. Crawford regressed because of age.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea early Jamal was a nasty offensive player but played on terrible teams. I don't think White will be the instant offense Crawford was, but has those same combo guard abilities. If he's coached up he can certainly get better and just about anyone could play better D than Jamal.

The league seems to be moving away from ball dominant PGs getting 8-10apg. And going back thru history, I think you have to go back to Isiah Thomas the last time the league leader in assists won a title.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 am
Split T wrote:
jonh wrote:
I think we need more than just someone that can handle the ball half the time. If he is going to be in the starting back court with Book, he needs to be able to hit 3s really well, and guard both back court spots. We need to surround Booker with good, switchable defenders at 1 and 3. That way, Book can take the easiest assignment 1-3 and we are still covered. Bridges has that at the 3, but we really need that at the 1. I would say we need that as much as we need shooting.
Ya that’s fair. I mostly meant we don’t need someone to run our offense completely. White can shoot. Defense? We’ll see. He’s not as big as his height would suggest, but he’s in that range where he could be able to defend either backcourt spot. It’s within his potential.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 am
jonh wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 am
Split T wrote:
jonh wrote:
I don’t think that had anything to do with Booker. Knight got hurt and he’s been garbage since leaving Booker. Crawford regressed because of age.
I didn't watch him at all in Cleveland, but his numbers look ok for a back up that splits his time at 1/2. He did get back to shooting pretty good from 3 on a good number of attempts. His A/T ration looks ok too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like White better than I liked Knight or Bledsoe coming out for the draft.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:53 am
White can shoot it so the Payton comps aren't valid there. I still have concerns about his release point but he's got a jumper and his stepback can be pretty lethal. I like his size, his quickness, he can pass it and be a primary ballhandler. Not an 8apg guy but 4-5 should be easy for him. I just see a newer version of Jamal Crawford.
Yeah, and this help us how? Still no one to run a half court offense or make passes to Ayton. Just another mediocre three point shooter who's as likely to kill the popcorn guy in the third row with his passing as find the open man.

I feel strongly we will end up hating White, even if he's an ok player, because he doesn't make the team better, and trading him away for very little because he doesn't fit.

Blerch.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

I didn't like Josh Jackson either. And he's been a real gem. :roll:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

I didn't like Josh Jackson either. And he's been a real gem. :roll:
Pretty sure at least a third of us here were saying not to take Josh.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 am
ShelC wrote:
White can shoot it so the Payton comps aren't valid there. I still have concerns about his release point but he's got a jumper and his stepback can be pretty lethal. I like his size, his quickness, he can pass it and be a primary ballhandler. Not an 8apg guy but 4-5 should be easy for him. I just see a newer version of Jamal Crawford.
Yeah, and this help us how? Still no one to run a half court offense or make passes to Ayton. Just another mediocre three point shooter who's as likely to kill the popcorn guy in the third row with his passing as find the open man.

I feel strongly we will end up hating White, even if he's an ok player, because he doesn't make the team better, and trading him away for very little because he doesn't fit.

Blerch.
His PnR game looks solid and at the very least, he can break down a defense better than Book in the halfcourt. So he's not totally redundant in that sense. His ability to change speeds with an explosive first step, keep a defense on its heels is what I really like.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:23 am
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 am
ShelC wrote:

Blerch.
His PnR game looks solid and at the very least, he can break down a defense better than Book in the halfcourt. So he's not totally redundant in that sense. His ability to change speeds with an explosive first step, keep a defense on its heels is what I really like.
For how great Book is at getting his shot where he wants it, he is not quick or explosive. Having someone that can do that will be helpful.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Gross

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Coby White does nothing for me. He’s a PG with a score first mentality who doesn’t pass all that well. His quickness stands out less when compared to NBA talents. It’s Garland or trade down for me.

Hey Atlanta, want the 6th and 30th pick along with Tyler Johnson?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

For gods sake trade the damn pick and give us peace of mind James. I'm tired of rookie expectations.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Indy

Post by Indy »

The #6 pick in this draft will not get you a good veteran PG. And all of the players/contracts we want to dump are seen as guys on a 19 win team. Who adds them to their team to improve it? It isn't like there were a handful of 15-win teams that had a good PG but just need an awful Josh Jackson or an injured TJ Warren to make them a bubble play off team.