NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 am
Please someone tell me what Ty Jerome does that Daniels doesn't do.
Pass and dribble. I’ve heard him labeled as the best pnr passer in the draft

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:
Pass the ball. Look like a regular dude who stumbled into a NBA court.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Yeah. Daniels has never been remotely close to a PG so I'm not sure where that comp was conjured up.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Handle the ball and pass.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Interesting read on Cam Johnson
Cameron Johnson
Very tall, very old, excellent shooter. Johnson has been a fantastic 3-point shooter on a high volume. He's very reliant on others setting him up with very few unassisted makes. He passes much better than I realized, with a good A/TO and a non-trivial number of assists for a guy who spots up so much. He finishes well at the rim and gets a lot of offensive rebounds for a guy who shoots so many 3. Although he's tall, he really lacks length, which shows in his block rate and unimpressive defensive rebounding. He did a decent job getting steals despite his lack of length however. He checks the boxes as a 3-D guy, and the impact numbers love him on both ends of the floor. There isn’t much upside, but he’s probably a good bet to contribute.
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... &t=1857045

I wonder if his upside is another Rashard Lewis. Why not?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Cam needs to become 1 of the following to make this pick ok. I will say he needs to be at minimum a 40% 3pt shooter and then:

1. Korver - If he’s a 45% guy and one of the greatest catch and shoot/off screen 3 pt shooters of all time, then smart pick.

2. Great shooter that proves to be a good wing defender.

3. Great shooter that bulks up and proves capable of playing the 4.

I don’t have any real hopes of him becoming much of a threat off the dribble, but if he can at least defend and shoot at a high level, I’ll be ok.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Same guy with an analysis of point guards:
Ty Jerome
The passing numbers are elite, though he doesn't look like a special passer on the court, just plays mistake free. His steal rate is crazy good given his terrible wingspan and given that Virginia is ultra-conservative on defense, so his hands and anticipation are fantastic. He's also really good at hitting floaters, but he has to be, because he just lacks NBA level athleticism. He is too slow to get past guys and isn't vertically explosive. His impact number suggest that he is being badly underrated, and that in spite of his lack of speed and length he can be a perfectly capable defender. Now, I think that RAPM has a bit of a bias towards team quality boosting him up (that is, Jermone’s DRAPM is in part, a product of being on an elite defensive team), but I do believe the general direction it’s pointing in – Jerome is underrated.
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... &t=1856724

I think we've found what kinds of characteristics the Suns are looking for.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I also wonder if putting Ty Jerome on an NBA caliber training and plyometrics regimen might have more to gain than others. If he can ever get to average athleticism...watch out.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 am
I think Cam needs to become 1 of the following to make this pick ok. I will say he needs to be at minimum a 40% 3pt shooter and then:

1. Korver - If he’s a 45% guy and one of the greatest catch and shoot/off screen 3 pt shooters of all time, then smart pick.

I don’t have any real hopes of him becoming much of a threat off the dribble, but if he can at least defend and shoot at a high level, I’ll be ok.
Does he have the frame to put on 20 pounds?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Yeah. Daniels has never been remotely close to a PG so I'm not sure where that comp was conjured up.
I haven't watched Ty, but I checked outa whole 5 minutes of highlights after reading this comment:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:34 pm
Just to be clear, Ty Jerome is not a point guard. I don't care what ESPN says.

I also don't expect him to be a point guard on the Suns. He's a poor mans Booker who I hope will occasionally get hot off the bench for 20+ points every couple of weeks.
In the whole 5 minutes I watched, I didn't see any passing or handling against pressure. He did hit a lot of deep 3s. I remain unimpressed for the cost of the pick.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:41 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 am

Does he have the frame to put on 20 pounds?
No clue...he’s already 23...my guess is he isn’t going to be getting much bigger and playing much 4. Needs to work on being a good wing defender.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:45 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
I haven't watched Ty, but I checked outa whole 5 minutes of highlights after reading this comment:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:34 pm
Just to be clear, Ty Jerome is not a point guard. I don't care what ESPN says.

I also don't expect him to be a point guard on the Suns. He's a poor mans Booker who I hope will occasionally get hot off the bench for 20+ points every couple of weeks.
In the whole 5 minutes I watched, I didn't see any passing or handling against pressure. He did hit a lot of deep 3s. I remain unimpressed for the cost of the pick.
Well I don’t think a highlight video is a good indicator. They mostly show scoring. He averaged 5.5 assists and 1.6 turnovers. Added 1.5 steals and shot 40% from 3 on over 5 attempts a game.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Do you think he can run an NBA Offense, or can he just drive and pass situationaly?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:55 am
Do you think he can run an NBA Offense, or can he just drive and pass situationaly?
That’s a good question. Honestly I’m not super familiar with him either. I’m not worried about his skills though. He just might be too unathletic to do anything.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:55 am
He's great in the PnR, so I think he can run an NBA offense. Virginia ran a pretty efficient motion offense that was very close to a modern NBA offense. Jerome was excellent.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:Please someone tell me what Ty Jerome does that Daniels doesn't do.
He’s nothing like him. Watch his highlights.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:40 am
I also wonder if putting Ty Jerome on an NBA caliber training and plyometrics regimen might have more to gain than others. If he can ever get to average athleticism...watch out.
PED the shit out of him ahahh

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I can't find who said it, but someone yesterday compared Ty Jerome to Manu Ginobili. Obviously it wold be great to have just drafted a future hall of fame player, but I do see shades of Ginobili in Jerome with how he seemed to be savvier than his opponents in college.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This kid is already my 2nd favorite player on the team and we don't know for sure that he will ever live up to his draft spot, let alone be a contributing member of an NBA team. This along with his interview with Burns and Gambo was pretty great. I'm cheering hard for this kid to become our 6'9" Klay Thompson.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:50 pm
I'm cheering hard for this kid to become our 6'9" Klay Thompson.
Of course. Here's hoping he is the bomb.