NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Saric + Cameron + Baynes + Jerome = 14.2 million

We could have almost had Randle instead of garbage. Lol.
This may be unpopular tonight, but I've already had a glass of Japanese whiskey, so--I would rather be paying those 4 guys 14.2 than paying just Randle 20.
I would agree

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Trying to look for some positives

We didn’t get great value in our moves but added
Shooting
Some front court depth

We still have too many wings and young pgs. Need to turn this into a starting pg

If we start the season with some kind of roster balance then I guess that’s a victory of sorts

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jonathon Tjarks gave us a B for both picks
The Suns have suddenly become conservative with their lottery picks. A year after they traded up to no. 10 to take Mikal Bridges, an experienced wing with a proven 3-point shot, they took a similar type of player in Johnson, a fifth-year senior from North Carolina with one of the best 3-point shots in this year’s draft. Johnson isn’t as good defensively as Bridges, but his size (6-foot-9, 205 pounds) should at least allow him to survive on that end of the floor. Johnson will have an immediate role in the NBA, which means he is a pretty safe bet to give them solid minutes off the bench, even if he never ends up as a high-level starter. He hasn’t shown the ability to do much on offense beyond shoot, but he won’t need to if he’s playing with Devin Booker and D’Angelo Russell, the latter of whom they may target in restricted free agency.

Grade: B

It’s not hard to figure out what the Suns were trying to do in this draft. Johnson and Jerome are two of the best 3-point shooters in this draft, and they are far more experienced than many of the other players taken in the first round. There’s an obvious trade-off to selecting older players: They may not have the upside of some of their younger peers, but they should be able to contribute right away. No one questions Jerome’s skill. He has great size (6-foot-6, 194 pounds) for an elite shooter who ran point on a team that just won the NCAA championship. The issue is whether he will have the athletic ability to beat his man off the dribble and survive on defense. The good news for Jerome is that the Suns will be so bad on defense that he could hardly make it much worse.

Grade: B

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I called for Clarke and Ty Jerome today before the draft when we had 11 and were rumored to be picking up another late first.

I don't think I need to go over how I feel about Cam Johnson vs. Brandon Clarke, but I really like Ty Jerome. He's not flashy, but he's smart and can shoot really well. Both of those things we desperately lacked last season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 pm
Ok, just added it all up, Counting Booker, Johnson, Ayton, Jackson, Baynes, Bridges, Saric, Okobo, Melton, Johnson, Jerome, and Oubre’s cap hold, we’re at 94.9 million and should have 14.1 million in space.

Dumping Jackson gets us to 21.1
Stretching Johnson would get us to 33-34 million.

Stretching Johnson without dumping Jackson puts us at 26-27 million. Still in max for D-Lo/Brogdon range
And if we’re a little short of max we might be able to salary dump Melton or Okobo.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Saric + Cameron + Baynes + Jerome = 14.2 million

We could have almost had Randle instead of garbage. Lol.
This may be unpopular tonight, but I've already had a glass of Japanese whiskey, so--I would rather be paying those 4 guys 14.2 than paying just Randle 20.
I would agree
Thirded.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:10 pm
I called for Clarke and Ty Jerome today before the draft when we had 11 and were rumored to be picking up another late first.

I don't think I need to go over how I feel about Cam Johnson vs. Brandon Clarke, but I really like Ty Jerome. He's not flashy, but he's smart and can shoot really well. Both of those things we desperately lacked last season.
If anything, these moves have been a vote of confidence in Booker and Ayton. All the additions are smart players who don’t need the ball, make the right pass, and shoot it really well.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:10 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 pm
Ok, just added it all up, Counting Booker, Johnson, Ayton, Jackson, Baynes, Bridges, Saric, Okobo, Melton, Johnson, Jerome, and Oubre’s cap hold, we’re at 94.9 million and should have 14.1 million in space.

Dumping Jackson gets us to 21.1
Stretching Johnson would get us to 33-34 million.

Stretching Johnson without dumping Jackson puts us at 26-27 million. Still in max for D-Lo/Brogdon range
And if we’re a little short of max we might be able to salary dump Melton or Okobo.
They’re not both coming back and maybe neither now that we’ve added Jerome

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmmm, if he’s willing to give up most of that salary I’d do it. If it’s one of those buyouts where we pay him 5 million of his 5.4 million salary, then no.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if he takes say 2 million for a buyout, we clear 3.4 million in cap space?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We may be buying out Aaron Baynes? You gotta be shitting me. Just eating the cap space? Why??? He's a useful player might as well keep him.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Hmmm, if he’s willing to give up most of that salary I’d do it. If it’s one of those buyouts where we pay him 5 million of his 5.4 million salary, then no.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if he takes say 2 million for a buyout, we clear 3.4 million in cap space?
We better be saving several million. I'd rather keep him than have to find a backup C for that 3.4M that he saved us if he takes 2.

I'm not interested unless he waives all of his salary.

Stupid ass idiots.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:

Is there any way we can complete the trade before June 30 and have 0 salary against next season’s cap? Or are we over the cap for this NBA year?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:20 pm
Split T wrote:

We better be saving several million. I'd rather keep him than have to find a backup C for that 3.4M that he saved us if he takes 2.

I'm not interested unless he waives all of his salary.

Stupid ass idiots.
Ya only makes sense if we need that space for a specific player. He’s a useful backup 5

carey

Post by carey »

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

:oops: :shock: :oops:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1141906961497243648

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Lol
Sigh @ carey
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Fuck me, Coby. I really wish you'd been a little less transparent.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bol Bol to the Heat

Edit: Trading to Nuggets

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14 pm
Ty Jerome is a super smart player, very good shooter and outstanding decision maker on the floor, high bballiq
I fear he is going to be too slow and lack too much athleticism to make a difference.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Won't mean anything if he can't matchup physically. Overall, I worry about our speed and athleticism.
Ha, Shel beat me to it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.