NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:42 pm
I can't find who said it, but someone yesterday compared Ty Jerome to Manu Ginobili. Obviously it wold be great to have just drafted a future hall of fame player, but I do see shades of Ginobili in Jerome with how he seemed to be savvier than his opponents in college.
That was me. The plays he makes at :50, 1:53, 4:00 have shades of Manu, but the pass at 8:56 was positively Manu-esque. Jerome is obviously a lot less athletic, but you can see the hoops IQ is there.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:02 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:40 am
I also wonder if putting Ty Jerome on an NBA caliber training and plyometrics regimen might have more to gain than others. If he can ever get to average athleticism...watch out.
PED the s*** out of him ahahh
I vote for bionics, complete with sound effects.

Remember when six million dollars seemed like a ridiculous amount of money? Tyler Johnson is three Steve Austins a year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

And that's the bottom line, 'cause Tyler Johnson said so!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jared Harper's a nice pickup. Smaller scoring point with legit NBA athleticism and deep range but not great shot selection. 3 year player from Auburn which fits the "older" player profile, 5-11 but a solid 170, kind of a cross between Reggie Jackson and Nate Robinson. Loved watching him play and get up and down the floor. His size is the biggest question but he's got the NBA game.

Owens transferred from St John's to Tennessee to Texas Tech. He'll be 24 in a week. 6-10 205 with a 7-4(?) wingspan, athletic defender/shotblocker with not much offense.

carey

Post by carey »

I've had a little more time to sit with yesterday's events. I'm still not thrilled with how the day unfolded. It was and still is perplexing. Now that we see a plan unfolding it does seem to be a little less so. The weirdest thing is that I like all the players we drafted. In a vacuum I think Cam Johnson is a guy you can play in the NBA playoffs. Saric as well. I'm unsure about Ty Jerome but he can legitimately run an NBA caliber pick & roll and the NBA playoffs are all about pick & roll and isolation basketball. There's not much tape for me to dive into for Jalen Lecque so I can't comment on him. So all together it looks like we got players that can fill roles on a playoff quality NBA team. That certainly isn't nothing.

We can all agree that Booker and Ayton are slotted in as our stars. One of Kelly or Mikal really needs to make a leap into star territory for this team to be successful. That's 4 solid players already though, and if we slot Aron Baynes, Tyler Johnson, Saric, Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome in as guys that will get rotational minutes we need one more above average player to be any good and it should be at PG. We'll find out in 8 days if this has been a moderate success or massive failure.

(Free Agent PG) - Ty Jerome - Melton?
Booker - Tyler Johnson
Kelly Oubre - Mikal Bridges
Dario Saric - Cam Johnson
DeAndre Ayton - Aron Baynes

We should be significantly more competitive than last year. We could even push for 35-40 wins with the right FA signing.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

I searched and didn't see the link come up but there's a piece on the Stepien about Cam Johnson you should all read: https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/04/case-cam-johnson/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 pm
Booker - Tyler Johnson
I really like this second unit on paper. A couple of guys that can really shoot it. A couple of guys that defend their butt off. One guy that mauls dudes. Return of the bench mob?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:45 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:42 pm
I can't find who said it, but someone yesterday compared Ty Jerome to Manu Ginobili. Obviously it wold be great to have just drafted a future hall of fame player, but I do see shades of Ginobili in Jerome with how he seemed to be savvier than his opponents in college.
That was me. The plays he makes at :50, 1:53, 4:00 have shades of Manu, but the pass at 8:56 was positively Manu-esque. Jerome is obviously a lot less athletic, but you can see the hoops IQ is there.

He seems like the kinda player coach Pop would turn into a solid rotational player.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Well Monty is a branch off of the Pop tree, so maybe he's learned how to develop players.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

I really enjoyed the Burns & Gambo interview with Cam Johnson. He's the most well spoken draftee for the Suns in a long, long time.

https://arizonasports.com/category/podc ... +%26+Gambo
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:49 pm
carey wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 pm
Booker - Tyler Johnson
I really like this second unit on paper. A couple of guys that can really shoot it. A couple of guys that defend their butt off. One guy that mauls dudes. Return of the bench mob?
Needs more playmaking. Maybe if you switch switch Bridges and Oubre.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 pm
I searched and didn't see the link come up but there's a piece on the Stepien about Cam Johnson you should all read: https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/04/case-cam-johnson/
Good article
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 am
I really enjoyed the Burns & Gambo interview with Cam Johnson. He's the most well spoken draftee for the Suns in a long, long time.

https://arizonasports.com/category/podc ... +%26+Gambo
Great interview! The kid is wise beyond his years.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Interesting table in that article. Cam Johnson shot 46% from NBA range last year...tops in the ncaa. He also shot 50% from 25 feet or further. This wasn’t on low attempts either. 81 attempts from 25 feet plus and 162 attempts from nba range.

Also, Ty Jerome shows up as over 40% on nba 3’s as well on 138 attempts.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:39 am
carey wrote:
Interesting table in that article. Cam Johnson shot 46% from NBA range last year...tops in the ncaa. He also shot 50% from 25 feet or further. This wasn’t on low attempts either. 81 attempts from 25 feet plus and 162 attempts from nba range.

Very impressive.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:39 am
carey wrote:

Very impressive.
Wow, we got some great shooters. Let's hope it holds up at the NBA level.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:00 am
Cam and Ty are two of the most nba ready prospects in the draft.
Ty isn't NBA ready if he can't play at the NBA level.

And in general, being in your early 20s doesn't mean that you are NBA-ready, just like being 18 or 19 doesn't automatically mean you have upside or potential.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 pm
Split T wrote:

And in general, being in your early 20s doesn't mean that you are NBA-ready, just like being 18 or 19 doesn't automatically mean you have upside or potential.
INF, I haven't seen your overall take on our draft. Apologies if I've missed it. What do you think?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:32 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 pm
Split T wrote:

INF, I haven't seen your overall take on our draft. Apologies if I've missed it. What do you think?
"F"
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:32 pm
Not a fan, surprise surprise.

At the end of the day, we're a 19-win team. We can't afford not to pursue the most talented players in the draft. I not wanting to wait 2-3 years for a guy to reach the point to be able to contribute, but there has to be a happy medium. You can't just draw a line in the sand, and say you're only going to draft guys who are almost 30. That is self-defeating.

And we're still drafting players that we don't have room to play them at the position where they are going to thrive. I don't think Cameron Johnson can make it as a 4. I just don't. And if the thought is we can just play Oubre and Bridges at the 4, then we're in trouble. Adam Silver help us.

I like the thought of having a guy that can absolutely fill it up from 3, so that is my hope for Cam.

I'm not a Ty Jerome guy. I keep going back to watch UVA games, and I just don't see an NBA player. But I'll admit, I could be wrong. But you could see his physical limitations restrict him at the college level. So how is that going to get better at the NBA level?

I hated not having the 32nd pick. Bol Bol or Daniel Gafford would have been great to select there.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.