Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
gosuns

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by gosuns »

Curious what you guys think. Can he play PF next to Ayton?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Our biggest weaknesses in the frontcourt revolve around defense and athleticism.
That's where passing on Brandon Clarke hurts. I know you didn't like him, but his combination athleticism, shot-blocking, and savvy doesn't grow on trees. I would love to see him meet at the rim all those guys Ayton neglects on defense. I would love to see him running down and snatching rebounds on both ends.

I wanted him over Hachimura for those reasons. I think Rui ends up being the better player (I think he is going to be a stud, btw), but Clarke would have fit our team better, IMO.

Anyway, this is a free agency thread. You mention Vonleh, who I have always liked, and yes, he could provide some needed rebounding help. But he isn't a rim protector, unfortunately. Dedmon could help, but judging from Lowe's podcast, it sounds like there is a ton of interest in him around the league. He is probably going to be expensive and have better destination options than the Suns.
I get why people liked Clarke. I had concerns about his size and wingspan as a full time 4. But my biggest issue was taking him 6, which some wanted to do. He would've filled the above the rim, shotblocking threat for us and I would've felt better with him at 11, after we traded for Saric knowing we had a floor spacer at PF who we know can play.

I don't see many shotblocking bigs in FA. Holmes actually leads UFAs in blocks with 1bpg. Vonleh was 2nd at 0.8. There just aren't a lot of options for us and the fact we have Saric most likely getting 30mpg, you need a guy who's good with maybe 12-15mpg anyway. That's where Holmes is kind of perfect. I also like Ed Davis for some depth and a banger/rebounder who knows his role. I kind of like JaMychel Green even those he's not a shotblocker but would give us a versatile 4/3 with some experience up front. I just don't think we can promise anyone of note 20+ minutes off the bench.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

WCS has gotten better but isn't the shotblocking threat you'd hope he'd be. He's played C most of his career so PF probably wouldn't work next to Ayton and he wants out of a rising team like Sacramento which makes you wonder. Doubt we'd have the money to pay him anyway and I'd rather see what Saric can do next to Ayton as a potential longterm fit.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Is there capspace to sign Rubio and Oubre without stretching TJ?
Rubio and Saric would add good playmaking for booker and Ayton.
Benchwise, I’d actually be happy with having TJ off the bench playing two guard alongside Okobo, Bridges, CJ, Baynes.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:32 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:27 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:24 am
Call Dedmon asap with 4 years starting at $14M and I think you have a pretty good chance.
Too much for me. I wouldn't offer more than 3yrs/$33 million.
Sure, for me too. But your offer needs to beat the ones from better teams.
No, it doesn’t. That’s how you end up capped out as a marginal team like Detroit.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why would Dedmon come here? We don’t have minutes for him. All we’ve got is backup minutes at the 4, he can find a better spot than that.

Just sign a starting pg and then add a couple end of the bench guys to fill out the roster.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Our biggest weaknesses in the frontcourt revolve around defense and athleticism.
That's where passing on Brandon Clarke hurts. I know you didn't like him, but his combination athleticism, shot-blocking, and savvy doesn't grow on trees. I would love to see him meet at the rim all those guys Ayton neglects on defense. I would love to see him running down and snatching rebounds on both ends.

I wanted him over Hachimura for those reasons. I think Rui ends up being the better player (I think he is going to be a stud, btw), but Clarke would have fit our team better, IMO.

Anyway, this is a free agency thread. You mention Vonleh, who I have always liked, and yes, he could provide some needed rebounding help. But he isn't a rim protector, unfortunately. Dedmon could help, but judging from Lowe's podcast, it sounds like there is a ton of interest in him around the league. He is probably going to be expensive and have better destination options than the Suns.
I agree with all of this. Although, I'm a little more skeptical of Rui. I honestly thought that Vonleh's block numbers were better than they are. He has long arms and a high reach, so he probably discourages more than the number suggests, but not sure anymore.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I can’t remember which podcast, but it had the wizards pick of Rui as a bigger reach than Cam Johnson.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am
I can’t remember which podcast, but it had the wizards pick of Rui as a bigger reach than Cam Johnson.
I heard that too. Cool. One team reached more than us. Let's just hope like Indy said that Cam becomes this generation's Majerle (Cotton: "You will rue the day you booed him...") however, Majerle was multi-dimensional. Well at least he ended up that way. He was primarily a gritty defender when he first entered the league.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
That's the problem with rating this draft. Most of these guys would have gone in the 2nd round last year. They are all a reach if you just look at the draft position.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
I certainly don't think it is crazy to not like Rui, but calling him a reach is baseless. He was a project lottery pick in the majority of mock drafts.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 am
Split T wrote:
That's the problem with rating this draft. Most of these guys would have gone in the 2nd round last year. They are all a reach if you just look at the draft position.
Last year has the potential to be one of the best draft classes ever. So it really doesn't make sense to compare the two. And to be accurate, Daniel Gafford was a projected first round pick in last year's draft and went in the second round this year. And he got better.

So no, all are not a reach.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Also, go back and look at the draft choices after 12. Donte Divencenzo, Lonnie Walker, Chandler Hutchison...these are the same level prospects that were chose in this year's draft in the same spots, and in some cases, the prospects were worse last year.

Let's not create a false narrative.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:58 pm
Split T wrote:
I certainly don't think it is crazy to not like Rui, but calling him a reach is baseless. He was a project lottery pick in the majority of mock drafts.
I agree. I’m not a Rui fan, but most had him being mocked in the late lottery. 11 to Minny was pretty common. Though there were a few mocks who admitted to having him higher because they were getting intel he would go that high. So mocks aren’t always the same as big boards. Cam Johnson was dropped to the 2nd round in ESPN’s mock because they heard he was being red flagged for medical reasons. He was originally in the early 20’s and that fit with what Cam himself said he thought his range was 17-24. We still took him way too high, but I’m just gonna stop worrying about where we took him and just worry about what he can contribute. Can’t change it now.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:20 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:32 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:27 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:24 am
Call Dedmon asap with 4 years starting at $14M and I think you have a pretty good chance.
Too much for me. I wouldn't offer more than 3yrs/$33 million.
Sure, for me too. But your offer needs to beat the ones from better teams.
No, it doesn’t. That’s how you end up capped out as a marginal team like Detroit.
Of course it does. Otherwise players don't have any incentive to come here to play for Sarver and his dumpster fire.

And you end up like Detroit if you spend $10M per on marginal players such as Leuer, or if you pay your average guard Reggie Jackson 17M per (man, that 2016 summer was terrible for many team, and Detroit is a prime example). This is not what I am proposing.

Again, my plan A would be to stretch/dump people as needed to create max cap space, then look first at Brogdon. But if he doesn't sign a max offer sheet, I move onto the plan B, which would be signing Dedmon and a PG with said cap space.

Hell, now that I think about it, you could convince MIL to agree to sign and trade Brogdon at the max for Tyler+Jackson+assets (say Okobo/Melton and a lightly protected 1stR; sucks we don't have MIL pick anymore), then the cap space can be used for Dedmon.

In any case, Dedmon is a player that fits perfectly here. Rim protection, rebounding and athleticism on defense, while also being a space provider on offense (38%3pt on 3 attempts over 25mpg). He is exactly what you need alongside Ayton-Booker, and I'd make a considerable effort to get him. Having Saric doesn't even give me pause, there is room for both as Ayton-Dedmon-Saric is a very solid C/PF rotation. Also, that means no Bridges/Oubre at PF.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Dedmon is on the same level as the other players you mentioned from Detroit. He’s more skilled, but he’s a role player nonetheless. You’re drowning in contradiction

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

You need to acquire a star and win enough games that role players will come here for market value or less.

Splurging on role players that don’t move the needle enough to impact the overall W-L is how we ended up with Ariza and Anderson.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like Dedmon, the problem is that Richaun won't command as much but had better impact stats than Dedmon. If someone could help Richaun improve his range, he would be perfect, moved to PF.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:56 am
Dedmon is on the same level as the other players you mentioned from Detroit. He’s more skilled, but he’s a role player nonetheless. You’re drowning in contradiction
He's absolutely not, but whatever. There is no real star that will come to this pigsty. I'd gladly eat my words, but trying to chase that dream is a waste of time. We are better served looking for players that can help Booker-Ayton reach their considerable potential. Russell is no solution to any of our problems, btw.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Didn't seem like we were that interested in bringing Holmes back and the weed arrest probably didn't help, plus we have Baynes now. Still like Holmes for his hustle and athleticism, plus he can block shots.