Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by Mori Chu »

Have we ever done the poll of top-10 most hated Suns of all time? Where would said Aussie center rank on that list? Who would be #1?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I gotta think Horry would take the crown. Longley just sucked, right? I was kinda young then.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Horry definitely, Cassell, Elie, Kobe...Longley just sucked and was paid a ton of money.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Don't forget:

Marcus Banks
Michael Beasley
Hedo Turkoglu

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Honestly never had a problem with Turk. Banks was a bad signing and hurt us at the time. Same with Beasley. Morris Bros can go on the list.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s what I think we should do:

1. We gotta check on Brogdon and D-Lo. If they want to sign, I think you have to waive and stretch Tyler and make an offer. Both are restricted, D-Lo seems attainable as Nets have Kyrie/KD dreams. Brogdon seems unlikely to be let go by Milwaukee. Either scenario is dangerous as we may end up waiving and stretching Tyler for no reason.

2. If Brogdon and D-Lo are not options, I’d offer all our cap space to a couple pg’s for 1 or 2 years and see if anyone takes it. Beverley, Collison, Rubio on 2/28 or 1/14 deals would be fine as stop gaps to give us more time to find a long term solution.

3. If none of those guys are interested, I’d look at the mid level restricted class and see if we could snag one away. Delon Wright could be snagged away from Memphis as they just drafted Ja. Tyus Jones is an option, as is Tomas Satoransky and Terry Rozier. I would consider 3 year deals here at around 8-10 million, but would still prefer 2 year deals at higher numbers.

4. Just sign someone competent. George Hill, Cory Joseph, Ish Smith, Trey Burke to a short cheap contract. 2/15 or 1/8.

I wouldn’t mind going into the season with cap space and being a team that can absorb a deal for assets. I think we really only need 1 player that we need to count in for minutes. Get a pg and don’t waste any leftover money. I’d also be fine overpaying a solid vet on a short deal. Shades of Ariza, just choose the right person this time.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:19 pm

1. We gotta check on Brogdon and D-Lo. If they want to sign, I think you have to waive and stretch Tyler and make an offer. Both are restricted, D-Lo seems attainable as Nets have Kyrie/KD dreams. Brogdon seems unlikely to be let go by Milwaukee. Either scenario is dangerous as we may end up waiving and stretching Tyler for no reason.

2. If Brogdon and D-Lo are not options, I’d offer all our cap space to a couple pg’s for 1 or 2 years and see if anyone takes it. Beverley, Collison, Rubio on 2/28 or 1/14 deals would be fine as stop gaps to give us more time to find a long term solution.
Can they make an offer prior to doing a stretch and waive?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:

3. If none of those guys are interested, I’d look at the mid level restricted class and see if we could snag one away. Delon Wright could be snagged away from Memphis as they just drafted Ja. Tyus Jones is an option, as is Tomas Satoransky and Terry Rozier. I would consider 3 year deals here at around 8-10 million, but would still prefer 2 year deals at higher numbers.

4. Just sign someone competent. George Hill, Cory Joseph, Ish Smith, Trey Burke to a short cheap contract. 2/15 or 1/8.

I wouldn’t mind going into the season with cap space and being a team that can absorb a deal for assets. I think we really only need 1 player that we need to count in for minutes. Get a pg and don’t waste any leftover money. I’d also be fine overpaying a solid vet on a short deal. Shades of Ariza, just choose the right person this time.
I think you call D-Lo, and if he'll sign, you stretch Tyler Johnson and do it. If you can't get him, you throw the cap space we have at Rubio. I'd also be fine with Satoransky or Tyus Jones, but I don't like most of the others.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:25 pm
Split T wrote:

They can make a verbal offer and receive a verbal agreement between July 1 and July 6. I think when the offer actually becomes official, Tyler would have to be waived and stretched. Milwaukee or Brooklyn would have 3 days to match. I don’t think we can wait to see if they match and then decide on Tyler.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:32 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:25 pm
Split T wrote:

They can make a verbal offer and receive a verbal agreement between July 1 and July 6. I think when the offer actually becomes official, Tyler would have to be waived and stretched. Milwaukee or Brooklyn would have 3 days to match. I don’t think we can wait to see if they match and then decide on Tyler.

We have options at least. I think D lo is a good move because it really makes us competitive and puts the onus on stars to win for their team. Don’t get me wrong, I would have rather have had Conley or even Brogdon but this team needs star power for the role players and rookies to shape up around.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:32 pm
Split T wrote:

I think you call D-Lo, and if he'll sign, you stretch Tyler Johnson and do it. If you can't get him, you throw the cap space we have at Rubio. I'd also be fine with Satoransky or Tyus Jones, but I don't like most of the others.
I like some better than others, but on short term deals I’d be ok with any of them.

It sounds like Beverley will be a hot commodity and won’t need to take our offer as he can get the 14ish million from a team he’d rather play for.

Collison has said he wants to play for a contender(I’d guess Lakers come calling) but we could convince him if we overpay. As long as its 2 years, we could still have plenty of space in 2021 again.

I don’t love the restricted guys as they all have their shortcomings: Wright, Jones, and Rozier have efficiency problems. Satoransky is kind of what Ty Jerome is supposed to be and a slightly different skill set might help.

Joseph and Hill aren’t great, although Hill was very good in the playoffs, but we’ll need someone and I’m not sure Tyler Johnson is the answer.

Rubio can’t shoot, but he’s smart, moves the ball, and plays defense. As long as we don’t give him a contract over 2 years I’d be fine bringing him in.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:27 pm
Have we ever done the poll of top-10 most hated Suns of all time? Where would said Aussie center rank on that list? Who would be #1?
Mustaf gets my vote for #1. But if we’re speaking specially of what they did as Suns to the organization, it’s a tossup between Horry and the Morrii.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:27 pm
Jerrod Mustaf
Markieff Morris
Marcus Morris
Robert Horry
Michael Beasley
William Bedford

Some of the others who get blamed were just bad players and I'm not going to hold a grudge for that.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No question Horry is number one for me. The towel to the coaches face and the hip check seal the deal.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:48 pm
No question Horry is number one for me. The towel to the coaches face and the hip check seal the deal.
When I read the question, I think about what they did as suns, so I keep the hip check out of the Horry bucket. I think I would go with Keef.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I really though trade was the best avenue for us to improve our team, rather than free agency. The problem is, we're pretty much out of assets now unless we want to include Bridges or future picks. Prior to the draft, we had our first rounder, second rounder and the MIL pick. None of those are in play anymore. The perceived value around the league on someone like Cam is a lot lower than the internal perceived value.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If Rubio and Beverly cost the same amount, Rubio is a no-brainer for me. He's a significantly better all-around player than Beverly and probably a better defender, too. Beverly is a more reliable 3 point shooter, but if your team is inbounding the ball to a PG and needed a basket, I'd trust Rubio to manufacture it more than Pat.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Rubio is probably headed to Indiana.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm
If Rubio and Beverly cost the same amount, Rubio is a no-brainer for me. He's a significantly better all-around player than Beverly and probably a better defender, too. Beverly is a more reliable 3 point shooter, but if your team is inbounding the ball to a PG and needed a basket, I'd trust Rubio to manufacture it more than Pat.
Rubio is better with the ball, Beverley better without it. Having a ball dominant guy like booker means Beverley makes sense. But he’d be less capable of taking the reins from booker, which would be very nice to have.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

By looking at his draft selections I don't think JJ values D-Lo type of players. Brogdon is exactly what he is looking for. I guess he will do whatever he can to obtain him.That includes overpaying him to max.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire