Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:39 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 am
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm
If Rubio and Beverly cost the same amount, Rubio is a no-brainer for me. He's a significantly better all-around player than Beverly and probably a better defender, too. Beverly is a more reliable 3 point shooter, but if your team is inbounding the ball to a PG and needed a basket, I'd trust Rubio to manufacture it more than Pat.
Have to disagree. RPM, ORTG, DRTG all say Beverly helps more on both offense and defense last year. Plus, Beverly's a better 3P% shooter. Looking at the roster Jones is building, they want shooters first and foremost.
I don't think Rubio was a good fit in Utah.
Yeah, neither did the Jazz.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm
You know what this means!

Russell to the Lakers?
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 558102001/

Jared Dudley: "So it might be better for them, at this point, to put 2-3 veterans making $10 to 12 million dollars around him, to get this team from 25 wins ... let's get them like 35-37 wins and interesting and eventually in two years, three years from now Book gets them to the playoffs, free agents will think 'hey what, Phoenix is back.'"

We haven't had 25 wins since 2014-15, what is Dudley talking about?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me if they just had a competent balanced roster they would have won 30 games last year. Instead, they had giant holes at PG and PF, while carrying 4 SFs. Just be at least 2 deep at every position with decent talent, legit starter and quality backup and this team with an improved Ayton, Bridges, Booker and Oubre with improved shooting around them they could win 40 games this year.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

I think we're undervaluing the potential of Russell...a starting lineup of...

Russell
Booker
Ayton
Saric
Oubre

... sounds pretty interesting. What would be the prediction on W/L if we followed through on that? Stretch Tyler, etc., sign Russell...what does that get us?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I really want to get excited about DLo coming to Phx, but I'm not quite convinced he's coming or that they are prioritizing him as a match with what they are building.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Russell
Booker
Ayton
Saric
Oubre

... sounds pretty interesting. What would be the prediction on W/L if we followed through on that? Stretch Tyler, etc., sign Russell...what does that get us?
I think with that lineup we push for a bottom playoff seed next year. Potential beyond that completely depends on Monty developing each player individually and more importantly as a team. I wouldn't dismiss any potential outcome good or bad.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not sure if this has been discussed but - at what number are we not matching an offer sheet for Oubre? Is there a team out there that would throw a ton of money at him, even if it were to get us to match?

Split T

Post by Split T »

The lowest I think we get him is at 12 per year. I’m expecting 14 or 15. I think if he gets 18 per year I let him go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

They probably have agreed to a number already, I'm guessing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:18 pm
I wouldn’t be surprised and I’d guess it’s a little higher than his true value to keep him from exploring other options. I see his value 12-14 and that means we’re probably paying 14-16

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:42 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

Russell
Booker
Ayton
Saric
Oubre

I think with that lineup we push for a bottom playoff seed next year. Potential beyond that completely depends on Monty developing each player individually and more importantly as a team. I wouldn't dismiss any potential outcome good or bad.
It took 48 wins to make the 8th seed this year. I can't see how that team would be even close to that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised and I’d guess it’s a little higher than his true value to keep him from exploring other options. I see his value 12-14 and that means we’re probably paying 14-16
That's what I was thinking, too. I would be happy to pay him 13, but figured the Suns would give him 15, and because we keep spending assets poorly, will pay more.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Geez, I thought we were looking at 18 minimum. I'd take him at 14 for sure.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

An average of $15M/year is when I'd think long and hard about it. Total years and player/team options would probably make or break it for me.

Oubre has really only played well for about 3-4 months of his entire career. Over paying for that is a bad idea. It's also not that difficult to find guys to plug into his role who are at a similar level.

For example, would you take Kelly Oubre at 3 years/$50M or Jeremy Lamb at 3 years/$45M?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d rather have Oubre. He’s younger and bigger. Lamb had a nice year, but I think Oubre is better, culture wise he was good for us and he wants to be here. I would easily pay him 1.7 million a year more than lamb.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
There was a cryptic picture of Oubre added to the Suns Facebook page a couple weeks ago which gives me this inkling as well.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:42 pm
An average of $15M/year is when I'd think long and hard about it. Total years and player/team options would probably make or break it for me.

Oubre has really only played well for about 3-4 months of his entire career. Over paying for that is a bad idea. It's also not that difficult to find guys to plug into his role who are at a similar level.

For example, would you take Kelly Oubre at 3 years/$50M or Jeremy Lamb at 3 years/$45M?
You're not factoring in his integration into the Suns' team and fan base into account. I'd most definitely pay the extra $5M for Oubre. He's one of the Valley Boyz for god's sake! ;)
"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:07 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:42 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

Russell
Booker
Ayton
Saric
Oubre

It took 48 wins to make the 8th seed this year. I can't see how that team would be even close to that.
If you mean that, than I ask...why are we holding on to Ayton and Booker...?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Trade idea: Goran Dragic for Josh Jackson

We get a PG placeholder for one season. McDonough's gone, so Dragic feels better about coming back for round 3.
Miami opens up $12M in cap room to pursue free agents. Kicks the tires on a prospect in JJ.

I was never a huge fan of bringing Dragic back, but it's preferable to signing the Cory Joseph's of the world. I'd prefer someone like Sato, but he's an RFA and would require a multi-year deal.

Couple the Dragic move with re-signing Oubre and splitting our room exception (~$5M for 2 players) among 2 of this group for PF/C depth: Cheick Diallo, Maxi Kleber, Dragan Bender, Daniel Theis, Noah Vonleh, Jordan Bell, Khem Birch

That gives us:
PG: Dragic/Jerome/Melton/Okobo
SG: Booker/Tyler
SF: Oubre/Bridges
PF: Saric/Cam/(PF/C Depth player 1)
C: Ayton/Baynes/(PF/C Depth player 2)