Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by Superbone »

Woj & Lowe have a FA show on ESPN 2. Just set up a recording for later tonight.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think anyone is taking Jackson without getting back a future asset, possibly in addition to either Melton or Okobo.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 pm
I don't think anyone is taking Jackson without getting back a future asset, possibly in addition to either Melton or Okobo.
In this case we're taking on the additional salary, and a significant amount. Also, adding Okobo (who I'd happily include) or Melton (who I'd be reluctant to) defeats the purpose of the trade for Miami unless they really value either of those two.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:19 pm
1. We gotta check on Brogdon and D-Lo. If they want to sign, I think you have to waive and stretch Tyler and make an offer. Both are restricted, D-Lo seems attainable as Nets have Kyrie/KD dreams. Brogdon seems unlikely to be let go by Milwaukee. Either scenario is dangerous as we may end up waiving and stretching Tyler for no reason.
If the Nets move on from DLo for Kyrie/KD, he will be an unrestricted free agent since they'll renounce his rights. So we would only have to stretch Tyler if we knew he was coming here.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
In this case we're taking on the additional salary, and a significant amount. Also, adding Okobo (who I'd happily include) or Melton (who I'd be reluctant to) defeats the purpose of the trade for Miami unless they really value either of those two.
The Suns could afford to dump both in this trade since they have 5 PGs on contract right now.

Talk about having most of you money tied up in the backcourt. Almost $70 mil in PG and SG.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
The Suns could afford to dump both in this trade since they have 5 PGs on contract right now.

Talk about having most of you money tied up in the backcourt. Almost $70 mil in PG and SG.
And only one clear cut starter quality player for all that cash...

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Not necessarily. I believe you could decline the last two years of his contract, stretch and waive him.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

I'm going to ask again something it appears no one has the huevos to answer. With Ayton, Booker, D'Lo...one would expect we have the making of a big 3. D'Lo is obvious, Booker also...and I think our unstated general expectation is that Ayton with a real, distributing PG thrives. That would be our true foundation. The general belief is Oubre gets us a solid SF and Saric a solid base at PF. We have some good serviceable parts around them. We made it would appear solid moves on the coaching side. And when asked...nobody felt that was enough to even make the 8th seed. Either we've grown hella pessimistic in our old age...or I have to ask...do we need to be using Ayton and Booker as chits to trade up with true foundational players. With that much probable salary tied up as they come to re-up, if they can't reach the next level...it's simple...we're investing in the wrong horses. Feel free to comment...but I think it's an important consideration, as both at least at the moment, would have true trade value.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think it's still tough in the West, with what would be still a young team in its first season together with a new coach. On paper, yea I think we'd arguably be more talented than a team like the Spurs, Clips (this year's version) and Thunder. Does that mean we'd be better? Not necessarily.

If we had DLo, Book, Oubre, Saric and Ayton with Bridges and Baynes off the bench and a couple other pieces (Cam? Ty? Some FAs?) it's a very good starting point. But I don't see a lot of other teams dropping off and you still have the Kings on the rise and the Lakers with LBJ and AD at the moment. 48 wins got you the 8th seed this year. Next year? It could be 50 or 52.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:I think it's still tough in the West, with what would be still a young team in its first season together with a new coach. On paper, yea I think we'd arguably be more talented than a team like the Spurs, Clips (this year's version) and Thunder. Does that mean we'd be better? Not necessarily.

If we had DLo, Book, Oubre, Saric and Ayton with Bridges and Baynes off the bench and a couple other pieces (Cam? Ty? Some FAs?) it's a very good starting point. But I don't see a lot of other teams dropping off and you still have the Kings on the rise and the Lakers with LBJ and AD at the moment. 48 wins got you the 8th seed this year. Next year? It could be 50 or 52.
The West is stupid. Every team has a competitive roster talent wise. A few more stars need to head East but it seems no one ever wants to play out there. That team would easily make the playoffs in the East. I like that roster more than Boston without Kyrie. The Nets *with* Kyrie. And any team not named Toronto or Philly.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
It's not enough savings to get Miami in the free agent market, but I believe it would save them money in luxury tax.

Of course, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I don't think Miami is going to do straight salary dumps of their starters. They want to stay competitive and don't mind paying to do so.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They also have Winslow who's kind of what we wanted JJ to be and they just drafted Herro and Okpala who are both SG/SFs.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 am
I'm going to ask again something it appears no one has the huevos to answer. With Ayton, Booker, D'Lo...one would expect we have the making of a big 3. D'Lo is obvious, Booker also...and I think our unstated general expectation is that Ayton with a real, distributing PG thrives. That would be our true foundation. The general belief is Oubre gets us a solid SF and Saric a solid base at PF. We have some good serviceable parts around them. We made it would appear solid moves on the coaching side. And when asked...nobody felt that was enough to even make the 8th seed. Either we've grown hella pessimistic in our old age...or I have to ask...do we need to be using Ayton and Booker as chits to trade up with true foundational players. With that much probable salary tied up as they come to re-up, if they can't reach the next level...it's simple...we're investing in the wrong horses. Feel free to comment...but I think it's an important consideration, as both at least at the moment, would have true trade value.
Relax

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Man, if only we had gone after Smart last year instead of DAR this year. :(

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

OE32 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:30 am
Gross

OE32

Post by OE32 »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:46 am
OE32 wrote:
Gross
What's your problem with Smart?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What do you think of this?

Trade Josh, Elie, and Melton for Dragic and his expiring contract.
Sign Maxi Kleber to as much as you have left.
Resign Oubre and Holmes.

With 5 PGs under contract right now, you at least cut that down to 4.
Then you have $47 Mil in expiring money to go into the off-season and you could go into the draft looking at a PG of the future. You could also use that flexibility in trade at the deadline if someone becomes available that makes sense.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:19 pm
1. We gotta check on Brogdon and D-Lo. If they want to sign, I think you have to waive and stretch Tyler and make an offer. Both are restricted, D-Lo seems attainable as Nets have Kyrie/KD dreams. Brogdon seems unlikely to be let go by Milwaukee. Either scenario is dangerous as we may end up waiving and stretching Tyler for no reason.
If the Nets move on from DLo for Kyrie/KD, he will be an unrestricted free agent since they'll renounce his rights. So we would only have to stretch Tyler if we knew he was coming here.
That’s true if Kyrie/KD sign right away. If they take their time, Brooklyn will hold onto the rights. We’d need to move fast as I think putting pressure on them before Kyrie/KD decide is the best option. They won’t match a Russell offer when they still don’t know Kyrie/KD plans.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:11 pm
Woj & Lowe have a FA show on ESPN 2. Just set up a recording for later tonight.
Don't waste your time. I was foolish enough to watch it and they didn't mention the Suns a single fucking time. What a joke.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

OE32 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:46 am
OE32 wrote:
Gross
What's your problem with Smart?
Really? Smart does nothing to move the needle or make us a better team. It excites me as much as signing Ariza.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton