Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:56 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:11 pm
Woj & Lowe have a FA show on ESPN 2. Just set up a recording for later tonight.
Don't waste your time. I was foolish enough to watch it and they didn't mention the Suns a single f*** time. What a joke.
Maybe the Suns aren't going to make a splash. Maybe they immediately sign Oubre into cap space and then go after a PF and backup SG. It will be a big let down for Suns fans, but they will have a much more balanced roster and an improved team. Go out and compete and come back next year with a ton of cap space and a record to start to entice players to come to Phx.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Don't waste your time. I was foolish enough to watch it and they didn't mention the Suns a single f*** time. What a joke.
They’ve got a national audience. No one is watching that broadcast to hear who the suns prefer between Rubio, Joseph, and Tyus Jones.

Russell is the only somewhat intriguing name we’ve been tied to, but we don’t even currently have the space to do it.

carey

Free Agent Targets

Post by carey »

Split T wrote: That’s true if Kyrie/KD sign right away. If they take their time, Brooklyn will hold onto the rights. We’d need to move fast as I think putting pressure on them before Kyrie/KD decide is the best option. They won’t match a Russell offer when they still don’t know Kyrie/KD plans.
To do that we need to stretch Tyler right away since it's basically a waive of the player after which you notify the league office that you are stretching the salary. That takes a bit. I see your strategy but if they match we've lost Tyler for nothing. His contract will be an asset at the deadline.

Really all this stuff will be worked out during the moratorium. Brooklyn will know what Kyrie and Durant will do by July 6th when players can sign.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am
Split T wrote: That’s true if Kyrie/KD sign right away. If they take their time, Brooklyn will hold onto the rights. We’d need to move fast as I think putting pressure on them before Kyrie/KD decide is the best option. They won’t match a Russell offer when they still don’t know Kyrie/KD plans.
To do that we need to stretch Tyler right away since it's basically a waive of the player after which you notify the league office that you are stretching the salary. That takes a bit. I see your strategy but if they match we've lost Tyler for nothing. His contract will be an asset at the deadline.

Really all this stuff will be worked out during the moratorium. Brooklyn will know what Kyrie and Durant will do by July 6th when players can sign.
Ya that’s true. If we verbally agree with Russell during the moratorium, the Nets won’t actually be on the clock until July 6th and they’d have time to figure out KD/Kyrie.

So I guess that brings up the question. Do we tell Russell, we’ll have an offer for you if the Nets renounce your rights? Or do we agree to make him the offer before we know what the Nets are doing? In that case we may know on July 6th that the Nets aren’t getting KD/Kyrie and that we’re probably waiving Tyler for nothing. But it would look really bad to pull the offer at that point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Too late. :x But I appreciate the warning attempt. The only thing that was remotely related was they thought Brogdon's magic number was 20 mil a year to get him away from the Bucks.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Remember when somebody was asking what we do with the cash we get back in the Warren trade? It would help relieve the financial burden of doing a stretch and waive like we're talking about with Tyler.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm not a big fan of stretching Johnson unless we get a perfect player in return. I'd rather bring in a solid guard on a one or two year deal and let play it out and get his salary completely off the books. We can still some out of this offseason with a decent roster if we just don't commit big money to any mediocre free agents.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Too late. :x But I appreciate the warning attempt. The only thing that was remotely related was they thought Brogdon's magic number was 20 mil a year to get him away from the Bucks.
I see this as a pretty strong signal that Jones is going to target FA along the lines that Gambo has been suggesting. I've definitely gotten the vibe that Jones is pretty conservative and risk-averse.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 am
Remember when somebody was asking what we do with the cash we get back in the Warren trade? It would help relieve the financial burden of doing a stretch and waive like we're talking about with Tyler.
If we hadn't traded TJ, the narrative of draft night would have been instead that we had sacrificed all our cap space without getting a point guard.

In other words, we took Saric and Baynes (and in the long run probably just Saric) into TJ's $$$.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Listening to Zach Lowe podcast, he’s got Brian Windhorst on. He thinks Beverley is our target. And maybe we show up Sunday at 6 with all our cap space.

The showing up on Sunday at 6 was a hypothetical scenario to question what Beverley would do. Would he wait to see what the clippers do? Or just take the money?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 am
Listening to Zach Lowe podcast, he’s got Brian Windhorst on. He thinks Beverley is our target. And maybe we show up Sunday at 6 with all our cap space.

The showing up on Sunday at 6 was a hypothetical scenario to question what Beverley would do. Would he wait to see what the clippers do? Or just take the money?
Hey we have 5 PGs under contract right now(although most are not that good or unproven), why not bring in another one? Seems smart.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46 am
Split T wrote:

Hey we have 5 PGs under contract right now(although most are not that good or unproven), why not bring in another one? Seems smart.
Do you think we shouldn’t bring in a pg?

You said it yourself, 2 of those 5 pg’s are rookies. 2 were rookies last year that were clearly not ready for nba rotation minutes. And the last one is a career backup combo guard.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:03 am
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

You said it yourself, 2 of those 5 pg’s are rookies. 2 were rookies last year that were clearly not ready for nba rotation minutes. And the last one is a career backup combo guard.
My first choice would be a PG. I think it would be important that they figure out who they want to keep and who they want to let go or trade away.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:17 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:03 am
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

My first choice would be a PG. I think it would be important that they figure out who they want to keep and who they want to let go or trade away.
Gotcha...ya I don’t think you’ll see all 5 of those guys still on the roster. Jerome and Lecque will be safe. But any of Johnson, Melton, and Okobo could be gone.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Split T wrote:

Would love this move. Makes us 8 deep before we're forced to look to rookies and young players to step up. Solid long-term team payroll situation, better offensive/defensive balance. I hope we can get him. Collison might be my plan B.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

jonh wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I see this as a pretty strong signal that Jones is going to target FA along the lines that Gambo has been suggesting. I've definitely gotten the vibe that Jones is pretty conservative and risk-averse.
I’m already starting to miss the old Robert Sarver. This is when I wish he would start meddling and tell Jones that he has to keep Booker happy.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am
carey wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am

Ya that’s true. If we verbally agree with Russell during the moratorium, the Nets won’t actually be on the clock until July 6th and they’d have time to figure out KD/Kyrie.

So I guess that brings up the question. Do we tell Russell, we’ll have an offer for you if the Nets renounce your rights? Or do we agree to make him the offer before we know what the Nets are doing? In that case we may know on July 6th that the Nets aren’t getting KD/Kyrie and that we’re probably waiving Tyler for nothing. But it would look really bad to pull the offer at that point.
I still think Russell could force his way out if he really wants to play with Booker (a la Joe Johnson). We might need to arrange a sign-and-trade with the Nets and give them something, though.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:57 am
OE32 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:46 am
OE32 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:30 am
Man, if only we had gone after Smart last year instead of DAR this year. :(
Gross
What's your problem with Smart?
Really? Smart does nothing to move the needle or make us a better team. It excites me as much as signing Ariza.
Seriously

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 am
I'm going to ask again something it appears no one has the huevos to answer. With Ayton, Booker, D'Lo...one would expect we have the making of a big 3. D'Lo is obvious, Booker also...and I think our unstated general expectation is that Ayton with a real, distributing PG thrives. That would be our true foundation. The general belief is Oubre gets us a solid SF and Saric a solid base at PF. We have some good serviceable parts around them. We made it would appear solid moves on the coaching side. And when asked...nobody felt that was enough to even make the 8th seed. Either we've grown hella pessimistic in our old age...or I have to ask...do we need to be using Ayton and Booker as chits to trade up with true foundational players. With that much probable salary tied up as they come to re-up, if they can't reach the next level...it's simple...we're investing in the wrong horses. Feel free to comment...but I think it's an important consideration, as both at least at the moment, would have true trade value.
The "that team won't make the 8th seed" is mostly a comment on our youth. Our best guys are mostly in the age 20-23 range. You need to give them a few years to grow together and get better. In a few years I could see that core leading a team to the playoffs. Just because they don't get there right away in the 2019-20 season doesn't mean it's a bad core or that you have to trade them and blow it up.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:

I wouldn't mind Beverley. He isn't my first choice, but if he would take a more reasonable contract, he could be a good choice. I'm a little concerned about statistical drop-off for him recently due to age and injury. Here are his stats. For what it's worth, in the 2019 season he averaged:

7.6 ppg on .407/.397/.780 splits, 3.8 assists, 1.1 TO, 5.0 rebounds, in 27.4 minutes per game. Scoring is lower than I thought it would be, but he averaged 12.2 the year prior, and I assume the scoring drop is partly due to health and would bounce back somewhat next year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... rpa01.html