Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by Shabazz »

Let's all take it down a notch.

carey

Post by carey »

That's all bullshit.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

There is a 100% chance that if Booker wants Russell and we refuse to even go after him, and sign someone like Cory Joseph instead, Booker will demand a trade very soon. 100%.

And rightfully so. Duh. We aren’t even TRYING to win at that point.

I can’t imagine a single Suns fan would be upset with Booker about it either.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My wild guess here is that Sarver doesn't want to stretch Tyler Johnson. He isn't the kind of guy who takes kindly to just eating $20,000,000 for nothing, especially if the player is somewhat serviceable. That plus the prospect of signing Russell to a max contract probably has Saver thinking about all the dollars he would be just burning up for nothing.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Find someone to dump JJ on and you won't need to stretch TJ

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:13 am
If we dump JJ we still have only around $20-21 million, right? Not enough for a max or near-max for D'Angelo Russell. And I also don't think it would be at all easy to find anybody to take JJ's contract. We'd have to throw in a future pick and therefore get owned in the trade.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 pm
There is a 100% chance that if Booker wants Russell and we refuse to even go after him, and sign someone like Cory Joseph instead, Booker will demand a trade very soon. 100%.

And rightfully so. Duh. We aren’t even TRYING to win at that point.

I can’t imagine a single Suns fan would be upset with Booker about it either.
I don't understand the thought that our best path to winning is signing Dlo to a max contract. That seems to be a great way to give Booker/Dlo more control over our team than our coaching staff/FO, and to make sure we are perpetually confused as to why our back court regularly scores 60 points in a game, but we lose by double digits.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:35 am
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
If we dump JJ we still have only around $20-21 million, right? Not enough for a max or near-max for D'Angelo Russell. And I also don't think it would be at all easy to find anybody to take JJ's contract. We'd have to throw in a future pick and therefore get owned in the trade.
I think we can still pull Oubre's QO to free up that extra 9.6M, but then still sign him after everyone else to go over the cap to keep him. So I think that if we dump JJ for nothing, and rescind the QO, we are over the amount we need for a max contract for a player with less than 10 years in the league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You’d have to renounce bird rights on Oubre to get the cap space and then you wouldn’t be able to go over the cap to sign him. It’s not possible to get russell without either 1)waive/stretch Johnson 2)let Oubre walk 3)Russell taking significantly less than the max

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Cs may renounce Rozier to create room for Kemba. Not a huge fan of his but if he becomes unrestricted I'd be interested to see what his value is.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:10 am
My wild guess here is that Sarver doesn't want to stretch Tyler Johnson. He isn't the kind of guy who takes kindly to just eating $20,000,000 for nothing, especially if the player is somewhat serviceable. That plus the prospect of signing Russell to a max contract probably has Saver thinking about all the dollars he would be just burning up for nothing.
You mean like eating a significant amount of the contracts of Darrell Arthur ($7.5 million), Tyson Chandler ($11.4 million), Wayne Ellington ($6.2 million) and Austin Rivers ($12 million) last season alone?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Devin is the face of the franchise at this point. From a marketing and business perspective, burning that bridge would be a huge mistake.
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vladimir_Taltos

From an earlier article...

"But then General Manager James Jones traded T.J. Warren (as well as the 32nd overall pick) to the Indiana Pacers in a complete salary dump receiving absolutely nothing in return but cash considerations.

Suddenly the Suns went from about $9 million dollars under the cap to closer to $20 million.

If Jones can find a similar taker for Josh Jackson, Phoenix will be in the mid-$20’s range.

Find a way out of Tyler Johnson‘s final year of his contract, which could mean stretch and waive, and the Phoenix Suns will have salary cap space in excess of $40 million dollars."

The roadmap is there...they took the first step. Deal with Josh and Tyler, and you're there...you'd have the money. They just played their games with the pick to land a soso player...would rather see them have opened the cap space.

We ought to have a way to garner interest in Josh... stretching Tyler shouldn't be impossible...those two moves...sign D'Lo...and let's see what noise we can make!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:24 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:35 am
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
I think we can still pull Oubre's QO to free up that extra 9.6M, but then still sign him after everyone else to go over the cap to keep him. So I think that if we dump JJ for nothing, and rescind the QO, we are over the amount we need for a max contract for a player with less than 10 years in the league.
To free up Oubre’s cap hold, we would have to renounce his Bird rights.

Vladimir_Taltos

And btw...if this is where we are...and they hadn't talked/figured this out before the draft...our mgt sucks. You would have had a variety of moves to be made if they simply were going to give up on Devin during the draft if he was in play. Utter horsecrap if that ends up being the case...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Suns could trade Tyler and something for JR Smith. If they did this, then JR is on partially guaranteed for only about $3.8 mil. That would add around $15 mil to $13 mil and not keep $12 mil on the books the next 2 yrs($6 mil per).

It's one way of doing it without finding a taker for Josh or renouncing Kelly, but would cost the Suns a 1st I think.

If they could also give up Josh, the better.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Vladimir_Taltos

Here's what's going to eat at me...if they're going to end up sheiting all over Devin on this...would Devin and the 6 and maybe a future have gotten the #2 out of Memphis and landed us Ja? Ja and Ayton would be a nice place to be standing if the situation gets f'd because of mgt as this plays out ..

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:59 am
Here's what's going to eat at me...if they're going to end up sheiting all over Devin on this...would Devin and the 6 and maybe a future have gotten the #2 out of Memphis and landed us Ja? Ja and Ayton would be a nice place to be standing if the situation gets f'd because of mgt as this plays out ..
Micdrop. It would seem they’re on a collision course. That Book is leaking to the media says it all.

Vladimir_Taltos

And let's run some salt in it...won't this little nugget be fun to watch from the Bickley article if/as it comes true...going to be hard to stay a fan if this comes true...

"Booker, Russell and Karl-Anthony Towns are threatening to become the next generational Super Team in the NBA. The city that lands two of those players will be NBA champion within five years."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:59 am
I would never have done that deal