Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by In2ition »

I agree that you don't acquire DLo to make Book happy, you acquire him to become a better team. They need another star, they also need a creating PG. You can get both in DLo. Will he regress? I don't think so, but it's possible. If they can't free up enough money by trading Tyler (it doesn't seem right now that stretching Tyler will free up enough), they will have to renounce Oubre. I don't want to see that happen.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am
We acquired Marcus to make M******f happy. It didn’t result in Kieff being happy. We acquired Zoran to make Goran happy. It didn’t result in Goran being happy. We could invest $100M in DLo to make Book happy, and the result may well be an unhappy Book.
D'Lo is nowhere close to the players you mention, do come'on...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't want Russell because he's Booker's buddy. That is a small bonus, not at all the primary reason. I want him because I think he's the best free agent PG this year overall, and I'm including Kyrie in that. Kyrie is a better offensive player overall but he's insane and ruined the last two locker rooms he was in, so I wouldn't want him. I think Russell is genuinely the best PG on the market. That's why I want him. I would accept the argument that Kemba is better overall, and I'd certainly take Kemba here if that were possible, but Kemba is much older and may not be in his prime when our team is ready to contend.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wouldn't mind beating the Lakers for DLo, and then them striking out on any big time difference makers. That's like reason #4 that I want DLo though, haha.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I'm curious, I know some of you don't want Russell. But who would you rather get. When I look there are no options next year in Free Agency. Things get a bit more interesting in 2021. But I still don't see anyone available that's clearly better than Russell. He's probably the 8-10 best pg in the league now and will only be moving up the ladder. I just don't see anything better coming down the line if we choose to wait for our long term solution at the position.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 am
Cap wrote:
We acquired Marcus to make M******f happy. It didn’t result in Kieff being happy. We acquired Zoran to make Goran happy. It didn’t result in Goran being happy. We could invest $100M in DLo to make Book happy, and the result may well be an unhappy Book.
Seriously. That's just silly.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Cap wrote:
Lol..And 1!!!!

carey

Post by carey »

He is but there was a long stretch where Marcus was the Celtics best player this year. Not that that impacts the argument at all.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Vladimir_Taltos

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:16 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Cap wrote:
Seriously. That's just silly.
Ya...but I wasn't the one drawing the comparative analogy, so...😁

Cap

Post by Cap »

I’m just saying, appeasing Booker is not a good reason to sign him, because if he turns out not to be as good a fit as Booker thinks, Booker’s happiness won’t last. If you genuinely think a Russell-Booker-Ayton core will contend some day, then go for it.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:30 pm
I’m just saying, appeasing Booker is not a good reason to sign him, because if he turns out not to be as good a fit as Booker thinks, Booker’s happiness won’t last. If you genuinely think a Russell-Booker-Ayton core will contend some day, then go for it.
Thank you, I will. Oh wait, I’m not the Suns’ GM, unfortunately. :(
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:56 am
The Suns could trade Tyler and something for JR Smith. If they did this, then JR is on partially guaranteed for only about $3.8 mil. That would add around $15 mil to $13 mil and not keep $12 mil on the books the next 2 yrs($6 mil per).

It's one way of doing it without finding a taker for Josh or renouncing Kelly, but would cost the Suns a 1st I think.

If they could also give up Josh, the better.
This is when it would be nice to have that Milwaukee pick still. Ugh.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:23 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 pm
There is a 100% chance that if Booker wants Russell and we refuse to even go after him, and sign someone like Cory Joseph instead, Booker will demand a trade very soon. 100%.

And rightfully so. Duh. We aren’t even TRYING to win at that point.

I can’t imagine a single Suns fan would be upset with Booker about it either.
I don't understand the thought that our best path to winning is signing Dlo to a max contract. That seems to be a great way to give Booker/Dlo more control over our team than our coaching staff/FO, and to make sure we are perpetually confused as to why our back court regularly scores 60 points in a game, but we lose by double digits.
Or it could be like Steph and Klay, who won a title. And Ayton could be way better than anyone they had in their frontcourt at the time.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Book hasn’t been shy of letting his feelings come out to the media. I wouldn’t be naive. It’s a player’s league now and he’s of a younger generation. He was pissed about not being informed of Ulis being cut, he’s said he expects to win in the playoffs now, and apparently the rumor is he wants the suns to sign DLo. Given how awful circus bad the Suns FO has been, I take rumors about what Booker says as his word.
He would definitely be the first player to seek a trade early into his max deal. But it’s gonna come sooner than Anthony Davis did his. Playing for the suns is hurting his image. In fairness we are waisting his talents putting him on the same timeline as Ayton and Bridges.
Not that I want DLo. He needs a star though.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If Oubre is gonna get huge offers that we aren’t willing to match, we might as well renounce him. That plus dumping Melton and Okobo gets us very close to 27 million max space.

Vladimir_Taltos

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I honestly don't know why the Nets would move on from D'Angelo to get Kyrie unless DLo really doesn't want to be there? But if they're just going after Kyrie to get a big name FA and tossing Dlo aside, it really goes against all the moves and what they've built in Brooklyn so far. And with how things ended up for Kyrie in Boston, seems awful risky for BK when they know what they have in DLo and that team. They could keep that roster together, add a legit PF and continue rising up in the East.

And I also think Kyrie would be best served going to LA, but I get him wanting to play in BK or NYC since he's from NJ. Plus, maybe he doesn't want his success tied solely to LeBron.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Lol

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1144344596811411457

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."