Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by INFORMER »

jonh wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:22 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 pm
I don't think not wanting to throw away a lottery pick is the same as "relying on 1st round picks."
You could make the argument that we threw away a lottery pick this year
Yep, and we're worse for it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Unless you're getting an absolute star back OR you're a lock to be a high seed in the playoffs, you never trade an unprotected first rounder. You're advocating trading one to clear cap space in a move that doesn't guarantee us the 12th seed in the West.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
I don't think not wanting to throw away a lottery pick is the same as "relying on 1st round picks."
If I knew the Suns were as good as you in asset management I would think otherwise about it, but they aren't and it's time to start moving forward.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:23 pm
jonh wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
You can't honestly think the Suns are worse for the moves they made on draft night. They are a much better team today than they were at the end of the season with actual roster balance.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Unless you're getting an absolute star back OR you're a lock to be a high seed in the playoffs, you never trade an unprotected first rounder. You're advocating trading one to clear cap space in a move that doesn't guarantee us the 12th seed in the West.
They have to start going for it, whether they make the playoffs or not. They need to start trying to get there without the safety net on management to rest players at the end of the year in hopes that they jump in the lottery.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:57 pm
Shabazz wrote:
They have to start going for it, whether they make the playoffs or not. They need to start trying to get there without the safety net on management to rest players at the end of the year in hopes that they jump in the lottery.
I've been advocating for us to be aggressive all summer. If we could get Bradley Beal, then mayyyyyybe you do that. You don't do it to get D-Lo and Thad Young.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 pm
In2ition wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I've been advocating for us to be aggressive all summer. If we could get Bradley Beal, then mayyyyyybe you do that. You don't do it to get D-Lo and Thad Young.
If Washington was giving up Beal, sure.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
You could make the argument that we threw away a lottery pick this year, so I wouldnt consider it out of the realm of possibility. Its apparent Jones does not value high potential as much as current productivity (unless you're from Gonzaga).
This year. Doesn't mean that will always be the case. Once we start winning again, we can worry about restocking with potential. Right now we need actual production.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm
I'm about to say F it, if DLo wants to come to Phx and someone like NY or Sac strike out, I send an unprotected 1st next year to them to take Tyler, Josh, and Melton's contracts, which are all expiring. Then go after DLo, Beverly and one of Thad Young or Kleber or Vonleh.
No thanks. In that case, I'd just stretch Tyler and Josh and find a taker for Okobo and Melton. That gives me $31M in cap space (assuming we retain Oubre's rights), enough to get Russell at a max offer sheet.

I'd have no room to add Beverly, but I'd be keeping the unprotected pick. Would also have the some cap space remaining (about $4.5M) and the cap room exception ($4.7M, two years) to round out the roster.

Could also use Baynes to add further flexibility. Stretching him puts the cap space post max offer sheet at a little more than $7M. Or you could use his $5.4M in a trade where we can add up roughly $10M to our books.

Bottom line, if I am going to use an unprotected pick, I need a much better haul that Beverly-Vonleh.

I still wonder if we'd be better off looking at solid vets at PG and SB (stretch big) instead of a max offer sheet to Russell. All that effort to land a guy who duplicates a lot of what Booker does (and does not)...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's no need to give away valuable first-round picks to acquire a guy who's an unrestricted free agent who already wants to come here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Russell is restricted

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 pm
In2ition wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Grizz once did it for Otis Thorpe, and it turned out to be the #2 pick in the 2003 draft. Pistons used it on Darko Milicic, ahead of Melo, Bosh, and Wade. Can’t help but SMH at both of them.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Only way you entertain a S&T is if BK is threatening to match. If Kyrie goes to the Lakers or Knicks, BK might be forced to match regardless. It would take a strong push from DLo and his agent to get the Nets not to match an offer and then we could say we'd send them Jackson, Melton and a future 1st just to get the deal done. Or we could bluff and see what they do. I guess they could get Kyrie and still threaten to match since they can go over the cap? But I doubt that would happen since their payroll would skyrocket.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:23 pm
jonh wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
You can't honestly think the Suns are worse for the moves they made on draft night. They are a much better team today than they were at the end of the season with actual roster balance.
I meant that the Suns are worse off because they didn't use the picks to draft someone remotely close to the BPA
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Apparently this guy has been right about a few things, including Monty

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He has 68 followers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:42 am
He has 68 followers.
Sure, but if he’s right, he’s right. And apparently has a pretty good history of getting things right.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am
specialsauce wrote:
He has 68 followers.
Sure, but if he’s right, he’s right. And apparently has a pretty good history of getting things right.
Lol. Alright man. This is a total fake account.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:52 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am
specialsauce wrote:
He has 68 followers.
Lol. Alright man. This is a total fake account.
Could be, didn’t think it would hurt to share. I’m not taking it as truth