Free Agent Targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Free Agent Targets

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:40 pm
By looking at his draft selections I don't think JJ values D-Lo type of players. Brogdon is exactly what he is looking for. I guess he will do whatever he can to obtain him.That includes overpaying him to max.
Many here have been saying that’s what it would take to even have a shot at him.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Democritus wrote:
By looking at his draft selections I don't think JJ values D-Lo type of players. Brogdon is exactly what he is looking for. I guess he will do whatever he can to obtain him.That includes overpaying him to max.
Brogdon has serious concerns with his foot.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm
If Rubio and Beverly cost the same amount, Rubio is a no-brainer for me. He's a significantly better all-around player than Beverly and probably a better defender, too. Beverly is a more reliable 3 point shooter, but if your team is inbounding the ball to a PG and needed a basket, I'd trust Rubio to manufacture it more than Pat.
Rubio is better with the ball, Beverley better without it. Having a ball dominant guy like booker means Beverley makes sense. But he’d be less capable of taking the reins from booker, which would be very nice to have.
I'd agree with that. I'm saying if the cost is equal, Rubio is a better value. You can argue, maybe successfully, that he's a worse fit. I think he's a better fit next to Ayton, but a worse one next to Book. And I'm not as concerned about his shooting now that we've loaded up on that skill. It stood out more in a lineup with Gobert and Favors - 2 players with virtually no range.

The Brogdon/Russell debate is interesting. I still think we need shot creators badly, but our defense also sucks. Russell is way ahead in the first, Brogdon's a much better defender. Shooting is pretty close.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 pm
Democritus wrote:
Brogdon has serious concerns with his foot.
I admit it is a bit risky. Maybe he becomes Penny Hardaway 2.0 for us but he may also make us a playoff team for many years.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If we're pursuing a point guard with a questionable jump shot, I'd rather pursue Tyus Jones than Ricky Rubio.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is there a max guy you would go after, INF?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:18 pm
If we're pursuing a point guard with a questionable jump shot, I'd rather pursue Tyus Jones than Ricky Rubio.
Another good backup. We already have 3.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:29 pm
Is there a max guy you would go after, INF?
Who are the max guys? Butler, Durant. Irving, Kawhi, Klay -- none of those guys are considering Phoenix.

There are the guys that could get huge deals, perhaps even max deals: D'Angelo Russell, Tobias Harris, Kemba Walker. I don't have any interest in Russell. The Saric acquistion makes pursuing Harris a poor use of resources. And while I really like Walker, there is talk that Charlotte might give him a Chris Paul deal, and despite his shot-making ability, he is a low percentage shooter. So ultimately I would pass.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Nope. Tyus is better than all of them. Perfect age, ridiculous assist to turnover ratio, good defender. Minnesota looked better with him as a starter and he excelled in that role.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 pm
Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Nope. Tyus is better than all of them. Perfect age, ridiculous assist to turnover ratio, good defender. Minnesota looked better with him as a starter and he excelled in that role.
I like him! He's better than all of three of our current backups (I'm not even counting Okobo), but he still tops out to me as a a good backup/very low-end starter.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That's why you offer him a prove it contract. 3 year deal, first 2 years guaranteed, 8 figures a year.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:59 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 pm
Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I like him! He's better than all of three of our current backups (I'm not even counting Okobo), but he still tops out to me as a a good backup/very low-end starter.
Looked at his numbers, he's interesting...if you can snag him cheap, he's no worse as a try than anybody else. Shrug. Still feel were searching blind...

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 pm
That's why you offer him a prove it contract. 3 year deal, first 2 years guaranteed, 8 figures a year.
KJ started his career backing up Mark Price and only became a starter after a change in scenery. Same for Steve Nash. Why not Tyus Jones? Seems like as good of a candidate as any.

Edit - more likely to be a Negele Knight than KJ or Nash but I would rather roll the dice with him than any other young PG not named Satoranski. Brogdan and Russell don't count because they are established.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like Tyus. I’d be ok with him as our FA target..better than a lot of the other options.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Seth Curry has been mentioned a few times and if we're not going with a big name/big money PG, he'd prob be at the top of my list. Not a true PG but a smart, youngish vet, can shoot, and make the right plays. I'd take him over McConnell or maybe overpaying a RFA like Jones. And if our offense is going to run thru Ayton and Booker, we won't need a ball dominant PG to get 8apg anyway. Defense would be a concern but who cares about defense right?

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Shabazz wrote:
If Rubio and Beverly cost the same amount, Rubio is a no-brainer for me. He's a significantly better all-around player than Beverly and probably a better defender, too. Beverly is a more reliable 3 point shooter, but if your team is inbounding the ball to a PG and needed a basket, I'd trust Rubio to manufacture it more than Pat.
Have to disagree. RPM, ORTG, DRTG all say Beverly helps more on both offense and defense last year. Plus, Beverly's a better 3P% shooter. Looking at the roster Jones is building, they want shooters first and foremost.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Wormwood wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 am
Shabazz wrote:
Have to disagree. RPM, ORTG, DRTG all say Beverly helps more on both offense and defense last year. Plus, Beverly's a better 3P% shooter. Looking at the roster Jones is building, they want shooters first and foremost.

What they want are compliments to Ayton and Booker. Problem with that is that they both need different complimentary players; which is why tho I get that you always take the bigger player, Doncic should have been or pick.

Mental exercise;
Would finding complimentary players be harder or easier if we had Doncic instead of Ayton. Honest discussion

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 am
Wormwood wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

What they want are compliments to Ayton and Booker. Problem with that is that they both need different complimentary players; which is why tho I get that you always take the bigger player, Doncic should have been or pick.

Mental exercise;
Would finding complimentary players be harder or easier if we had Doncic instead of Ayton. Honest discussion
My initial thinking would be that it would be easier, as players that can rebound, create for themselves and others, and shoot are much more rare, imo. They can find defensive bigs that compliment them much easier, and cheaper. And obviously more shooters can be found mid 1st round and later.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You know what this means!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wormwood wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I don't think Rubio was a good fit in Utah.