Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:03 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:54 pm
I didn't think we had to dump anyone..Is Rubios offer for more than we had in cap space? If not we can go over to sign Oubre I believe.
Yes, his salary will start at $16.1M and we have $13.3M so it's about $2.8M more than we have to spend. Even getting rid of Melton & Okobo won't do it. We'll probably be trading Josh Jackson somewhere sometime soon.
Aren't both Okobo and Melton scheduled to make $1.416 MIL a piece this coming year. I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure them together is more than $2.8 Mil, no?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:43 pm
I think we all need to breathe a big sigh of relief that the Suns aren't spending $50M+ on Terry Rozier.

This team needs more adults in the locker room, and Rubio is way more in line with that than Rozier.
When the justification is "it could have been worse", you know they did something wrong.

17 million is absurd. Who else is he going to sign with? Whoever it was, they can have him.

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:11 pm
carey wrote:
Yes, his salary will start at $16.1M and we have $13.3M so it's about $2.8M more than we have to spend. Even getting rid of Melton & Okobo won't do it. We'll probably be trading Josh Jackson somewhere sometime soon.
Aren't both Okobo and Melton scheduled to make $1.416 MIL a piece this coming year. I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure them together is more than $2.8 Mil, no?

https://twitter.com/theIVpointplay/status/1145467089706033152

It's about $700K off.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:11 pm
carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/theIVpointplay/status/1145467089706033152

It's about $700K off.
I'm only guessing, but sounds like 2 yr stretch and waive of Jackson would do it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Dumping Melton and okobo drops us below the minimum roster requirement I believe. Which means we add an 800k minimum roster charge

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:02 pm
I still like okobo.
Me too. And Melton. I hope we don't just dump them because we overpaid for a mediocre point guard.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

I cant believe this is how far we've sunk.

Justify it all you want, but we just spent all of our cap space on a player the Jazz didnt want as their starting PG.

James Jones sucks. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but these draft and free agency decisions have been a disaster. Ive never been a fan of former players as GMs and Jones appears to be no exception.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:09 pm
Olson chimes in:

He sure didn't get paid like he was coming off of a rough year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm
Indy also gave up a first rounder and 2 seconds to get Brogdon.
Too rich for my blood.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:17 pm
Put it this way: Jazz sure are excited to bring Conley in as Rubio's replacement next year.

Of course you have to shoot. Teams are averaging 35 3pt attempts in the modern NBA. Its all about 3pt shooting and spacing. This is why neither Wolves nor the Jazz thought Rubio was worth keeping.

Horrible signing.
I don't know if I would call it horrible. It just isn't good. Utah had good reason to show him the door, yet the Suns gave him a substantial salary. Same thing happened with Ariza. At least Rubio semi-addresses a need, I guess.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

This was a measured signing in an overpriced market for someone who will likely lead the league in assists next year. This puts Booker back off the ball and allow him to expend less energy. If he can get back to shooting 35% from three that would be great. Suns can build on this and develop the youth.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:50 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Put it this way: Jazz sure are excited to bring Conley in as Rubio's replacement next year.

Of course you have to shoot. Teams are averaging 35 3pt attempts in the modern NBA. Its all about 3pt shooting and spacing. This is why neither Wolves nor the Jazz thought Rubio was worth keeping.

Horrible signing.
I don't know if I would call it horrible. It just isn't good. Utah had good reason to show him the door, yet the Suns gave him a substantial salary. Same thing happened with Ariza. At least Rubio semi-addresses a need, I guess.
Depressing as hell then. Rubio would be a great backup PG. The Suns gave him 50 million dollars to be their starter.

Why didnt the Suns get Conley? Or Jrue Holiday? Or D'Angelo Russel? Or Lonzo Ball?

Why werent the Suns trading up to get that number four pick instead of trading down for cash considerations? Or packaging the pick and TJ Warren for a real PF and not someone else's backup?

This was the best they could do? Are they honestly even trying? I have zero confidence in this franchise's ability moving forward and I think I'm done. I have given them the last ten years to turn it around and it hasnt happened.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I've come to terms that as long as Sarver owns the team our ceiling is a fringe playoff team. With that set as my expectation the Rubio signing doesn't make me mad. I just want to see a semi competitive team on the court with a PG that belongs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 pm
INFORMER wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

Horrible signing.
Depressing as hell then. Rubio would be a great backup PG. The Suns gave him 50 million dollars to be their starter.

Why didnt the Suns get Conley? Or Jrue Holiday? Or D'Angelo Russel? Or Lonzo Ball?

Why werent the Suns trading up to get that number four pick instead of trading down for cash considerations? Or packaging the pick and TJ Warren for a real PF and not someone else's backup?

This was the best they could do? Are they honestly even trying? I have zero confidence in this franchise's ability moving forward and I think I'm done. I have given them the last ten years to turn it around and it hasnt happened.
Conley was expensive and cost 2 1sts, Jrue wasn’t available, who knows if D-Lo was, and Lonzo wasn’t available either.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:10 pm
Conley was expensive and cost 2 1sts, Jrue wasn’t available, who knows if D-Lo was, and Lonzo wasn’t available either.
People prefer to think they can just go and initiate any trade they want for any player they want. Sometimes of the time the price is just too steep, sometimes the players really aren't available, sometimes there really isn't any interest to begin with.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:10 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 pm
INFORMER wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

Horrible signing.

Lonzo just got traded so he was absolutely available. Conley was expensive but only cost the Jazz the 23rd pick and a protected 2020 pick. Would you rather have the 23rd pick and a 2020 protected pick or Mike Conley?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:59 pm
This was a measured signing in an overpriced market for someone who will likely lead the league in assists next year.
:?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:21 pm
Lonzo just got traded so he was absolutely available.
Yeah, all you needed was Anthony Davis to make it happen.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

And to top it all off...DLo to Golden State???? Just...wow ..

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Guys... Help ... It's been more than 4 hours and I am still fully erect. What do I do?