Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:00 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:59 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:56 pm
Finally time to start winning some games. It's about damn time! Let's develop that winning culture.
Literraly the same thing was said last year after the Suns acquired Ariza.
Because we did the equivalent this off-season. Got it. Rubio = Ariza. Both are overpriced PG's.
Ok, I see where this is going. Thanks for the discussion, AIG.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Even better. Where are you getting your numbers then? He was on a bargain 3 year contract. You know he's going to get paid by somebody so how the heck are you coming up with 13 million per season if it was 11 per season during the Ish Smith bargain years?
I don't think there will be a pay raise for him on the open market. Money is going really fast, and there are still more point guards out there, most of them held in higher regard than Smith. We'll see what he ends up going for.
Yep, there's a reason for that.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:58 pm
I guess the Suns aren't aware of which FA's and their agents are wanting to setup a meeting with the Suns. Every FA is having their agent reach out to the Suns and we're foolishly turning them down so we can rush to sign Rubio. Am I getting that right? We're a hot destination.
I don't even know what point you're trying to make here.
That we can only sign players willing to play for the Suns. When other, much better teams (which, over the past 5 seasons = 28 other teams) show interest, along with the Suns, you have to tell your agent you're willing to talk to the Suns. If we can't even get them on the line, how can people here expect us to sign these players over a Rubio? There are articles on how we could sign Oubre and Russell. Guess what? Russell has to want to play here. If he's boys with Booker, I can assure you Booker has already told us to not waste our time because he's interested in (insert team).

I get that there are wiser ways to spend your money. But you have to be sure those wise ways are going to be accepted by FA's and that the Suns are an option for them.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Finally time to start winning some games. It's about damn time! Let's develop that winning culture.
Literally the same thing was said last year after the Suns acquired Ariza.
McD's top prize. Position of need. NOT!
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:02 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Because we did the equivalent this off-season. Got it. Rubio = Ariza. Both are overpriced PG's.
Well, you seem to carry a pessimistic tune all the time. You come up with extremes to make a point and shut down optimism. It's trash to compare the Ariza signing with this offseason thus far.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:55 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:49 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:10 pm
Conley was expensive and cost 2 1sts, Jrue wasn’t available, who knows if D-Lo was, and Lonzo wasn’t available either.
People prefer to think they can just go and initiate any trade they want for any player they want. Sometimes of the time the price is just too steep, sometimes the players really aren't available, sometimes there really isn't any interest to begin with.
How many years are we going to keep hearing this? Its been TEN YEARS.

The Jazz got Conley. The Pelicans got Ball. The Celtics got Kemba walker. The Nets got Kyrie Irving.

THE WARRIORS had no cap space and somehow got Russell. The Suns get Rubio and excuses.
The Jazz also gave up 2 1sts for Conley and are paying him 66 million over 2 years. Rubio is better than Ball and the pelicans gave up AD to get him. Boston has to lose Horford and Kyrie to get kemba. The nets are in the largest market in the country. And the warriors got Russell because they lost Durant. We probably could have gotten Russell if we were willing to lose Booker.
The first was the 23rd pick in the last draft and the other is a protected 2020 pick.

Would you rather have those picks or Conley?

And there was a plethera of scenarios for how the Suns could have landed Russell and not have to lose Booker or Oubre:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 602234001/
Well our picks are different than the jazz picks. I don’t know what a trade for us would have looked like, but I don’t think it made sense for us. Conley is 4 years older than Rubio. Yes he’s significantly better, but he’s also had injury concerns and he’s 32. So we give up future assets to be the 9th seed instead of the 11th seed for two years and then have to find a new pg all over again? I’d rather keep the assets and maybe use them to find a long term solution.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:10 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:02 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Well, you seem to carry a pessimistic tune all the time. You come up with extremes to make a point and shut down optimism. It's trash to compare the Ariza signing with this offseason thus far.
Theres lots of differences between Ariza and Rubio signing. Ariza made no sense but was only a one year deal.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Monty Williams, PG situation markedly improved (by overpaying or otherwise, it's much improved), additional moves to come. Ariza all over again. I see it now.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
1. Has my pessimism been proven wrong over the years? And let's not pretend that I hate things just for the sake of hating things.
2. I've already made the distinction that at least Rubio addresses a need, whereas Ariza did not. But the Ariza move, like this move, were both lauded as "win now!" moves while a blind eye was turned to why the move could/would be detrimental. It is also similar in that we spent ALL of the cap space on a player who was hardly in demand, and whose value seemingly didn't match the contract given.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:16 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
1. Has my pessimism been proven wrong over the years? And let's not pretend that I hate things just for the sake of hating things.
2. I've already made the distinction that at least Rubio addresses a need, whereas Ariza did not. But the Ariza move, like this move, were both lauded as "win now!" moves while a blind eye was turned to why the move could/would be detrimental. It is also similar in that we spent ALL of the cap space on a player who was hardly in demand, and whose value seemingly didn't match the contract given.
I can appreciate when you add detail to your response and I can agree with many things you've said regarding both points. I just don't like the one line comparisons with expectations that I can read your mind and fill in the blank.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

What a fucking flop

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Everyone pls relax now. We are better than last year which matters the most. We can worry next summer for improving further.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

If Inf is mad about how much money Rubio is getting just wait until you how much the suns are gonna pay Oubre. Yikes.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I really want to keep Oubre but there’s just no way he doesn’t get paid a ridiculous number. I do have a sneaking feeling the Lakers might go hard after him if they sniff out on getting Kawhi.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lakers need guards, I think they’ll stay away from Oubre. Not sure there will be a team to come after him. Only 4 teams still have more than 15 million.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I think that a "win now" move is the wrong way to look at it. It's a synergy move, getting Ayton an entry passer and moving Booker back to his primary SG role. The goal is to develop existing players more than to bring in a big name new player. And on that front -- I give the Suns an A.

Never mind that I'd be much, much happier if Rubio could hit a 3. But I think the observations I've seen are spot on. Utah didn't have the offense and shooting, so it was harder to hide Rubio. The Suns (now) have crazy shooting.

The main difference between McDonough and Jones is that McD maximized individual value to the detriment of the team. Jones maximizes team value even if we end up overpaying at an individual level -- or that's the hope. Let's see but I'm happy to see a complete roster position-wise for the first time since the Dragic era.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:25 pm
INFORMER wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I think that a "win now" move is the wrong way to look at it. It's a synergy move, getting Ayton an entry passer and moving Booker back to his primary SG role. The goal is to develop existing players more than to bring in a big name new player. And on that front -- I give the Suns an A.

Never mind that I'd be much, much happier if Rubio could hit a 3. But I think the observations I've seen are spot on. Utah didn't have the offense and shooting, so it was harder to hide Rubio. The Suns (now) have crazy shooting.

The main difference between McDonough and Jones is that McD maximized individual value to the detriment of the team. Jones maximizes team value even if we end up overpaying at an individual level -- or that's the hope. Let's see but I'm happy to see a complete roster position-wise for the first time since the Dragic era.
Thanks for bringing rationale to the discussion, v9. Signing Rubio this year is nothing like signing Ariza a year ago in my mind. It's team need this year versus some kind of analytics last year. Also, Ariza didn't turn out to be the great vet for a younger team that he was advertised as. I think Rubio will be much better in that regard after reading Mitchell's comments about him.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:22 pm
I really want to keep Oubre but there’s just no way he doesn’t get paid a ridiculous number. I do have a sneaking feeling the Lakers might go hard after him if they sniff out on getting Kawhi.
Lakers or Clippers, who ever missed out on Kawhi, will go after Oubre.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:47 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Let's hope we have a deal locked in before that happens.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
I don't see Oubre fitting on the Lakers at all. All they have are forwards. I get waiting for Kawhi but they need guards and shooting badly.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!