Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by OE32 »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:32 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:52 am
One of the benefits that's not being talked about much if at all is the help that Rubio could provide to the wings on the Suns. Spida Mitchell and Wiggins should be writing a check to Rubio each month for all the money he made them. Wiggins career was on a upward trajectory when Rubio was in Min and Min gave him a Max contract. As soon as Rubio left, his contract is thought of as one of the worst in all of the NBA. Mitchell starts his career off with Rubio, and all of a sudden he's one of the up and coming SUPERSTARS of the league with his own shoe line and nickname of "Spida" from being a "relatively" unheralded college player at Louisville.

I think Booker, Oubre, Bridges, & Cam(thinking that Jackson is not long for the Suns, even though he could benefit the most) could all really benefit from Rubio looking for the athletic cutters and then open looks for the other guys.
Thank you In2ition. For everyone that's down on Rubio, remind yourselves of how up in arms fans were when we signed Nash. "He's so old and over the hill! He's unathletic!". Yes, the huge difference is that he could shoot. But he was older than Rubio when we signed him and many of the knocks Rubio has were the same with Nash. Though Rubio is a much better defender.
There's definitely a parallel here. A bunch of kids who suck and can't win games. Miss out on the big name(s) in free agency and grab the old, pass-first, second-class point guard instead. Nash may be better than Rubio, but I'm not sure Stoudemire/Marion/JJ/QRich/Barbosa/Hunter is more talent than Booker/Ayton/Bridges/Oubre/Johnson/Jerome. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
One of the benefits that's not being talked about much if at all is the help that Rubio could provide to the wings on the Suns. Spida Mitchell and Wiggins should be writing a check to Rubio each month for all the money he made them. Wiggins career was on a upward trajectory when Rubio was in Min and Min gave him a Max contract. As soon as Rubio left, his contract is thought of as one of the worst in all of the NBA. Mitchell starts his career off with Rubio, and all of a sudden he's one of the up and coming SUPERSTARS of the league with his own shoe line and nickname of "Spida" from being a "relatively" unheralded college player at Louisville.

I think Booker, Oubre, Bridges, & Cam(thinking that Jackson is not long for the Suns, even though he could benefit the most) could all really benefit from Rubio looking for the athletic cutters and then open looks for the other guys.
This is a good point and I agree with you in general. But I do think that his effect on the MIN players was much more than his effect on most of the Utah players. In Utah, it looks like Mitchell drove most of the offense himself. Rubio sometimes handled the ball, ran the break, etc., but in their half-court offense he was mostly spotting up to shoot threes while Mitchell initiated. And they play a slow style, which helps explain why Rubio had so little value to them. The way they play, they want shooting and defense around Mitchell. Rubio isn't quite the right PG for how they want to structure their offense.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 am
In2ition wrote:

This is a good point and I agree with you in general. But I do think that his effect on the MIN players was much more than his effect on most of the Utah players. In Utah, it looks like Mitchell drove most of the offense himself. Rubio sometimes handled the ball, ran the break, etc., but in their half-court offense he was mostly spotting up to shoot threes while Mitchell initiated. And they play a slow style, which helps explain why Rubio had so little value to them. The way they play, they want shooting and defense around Mitchell. Rubio isn't quite the right PG for how they want to structure their offense.
I wouldn't argue that Conley isn't a better player or better fit in Utah that Rubio. I thought that was a tremendous trade for Utah and a big upgrade to how they want to play. Just pointing out that Mitchell may have been helped even a little bit by having Rubio on the court with him. How good would they or Mitchell have been if it was Canaan or Melton starting in the backcourt with him?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:03 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 am
In2ition wrote:

I wouldn't argue that Conley isn't a better player or better fit in Utah that Rubio. I thought that was a tremendous trade for Utah and a big upgrade to how they want to play. Just pointing out that Mitchell may have been helped even a little bit by having Rubio on the court with him. How good would they or Mitchell have been if it was Canaan or Melton starting in the backcourt with him?
You're right that a Canaan/Melton would be a huge downgrade for them. I think Conley will be great there. Utah has a nice team and should be gunning for home court in the first round next year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
I think you're reaching. There may be some truth there with Wiggins, but Mitchell had one great year and one down year, both with Rubio.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thank you In2ition. For everyone that's down on Rubio, remind yourselves of how up in arms fans were when we signed Nash. "He's so old and over the hill! He's unathletic!". Yes, the huge difference is that he could shoot. But he was older than Rubio when we signed him and many of the knocks Rubio has were the same with Nash. Though Rubio is a much better defender.
I think the concern with Nash was how he was going to be at the end of the contract. That was Mark Cuban's issue too. I don't think anyone questioned the immediate impact or the player he was at that time.

And you can't admit that the shooting difference is "huge" but then continue to push the comparison.

I get it: a skilled distributor is going to benefit the team. No argument here. But I think we're losing it when we bring out Nash comparisons and start claiming Donovan Mitchell was made by Ricky Rubio.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:29 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
I think the concern with Nash was how he was going to be at the end of the contract. That was Mark Cuban's issue too. I don't think anyone questioned the immediate impact or the player he was at that time.

And you can't admit that the shooting difference is "huge" but then continue to push the comparison.

I get it: a skilled distributor is going to benefit the team. No argument here. But I think we're losing it when we bring out Nash comparisons and start claiming Donovan Mitchell was made by Ricky Rubio.
I also think you're taking it too far when you say posters were saying Rubio "made" Mitchell.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
I think you're reaching. There may be some truth there with Wiggins, but Mitchell had one great year and one down year, both with Rubio.
I'm trying to figure out which year was the up yr and which one was the down yr.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sophomore year. He struggled for a large chunk of the season, and the playoffs.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:23 pm
I also think you're taking it too far when you say posters were saying Rubio "made" Mitchell.
Am I? These are pretty strong claims:
Mitchell starts his career off with Rubio, and all of a sudden he's one of the up and coming SUPERSTARS of the league with his own shoe line and nickname of "Spida" from being a "relatively" unheralded college player at Louisville.
Spida Mitchell and Wiggins should be writing a check to Rubio each month for all the money he made them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think he certainly helped them, but not so far as to say he made them. Wiggins was the #1 pick. Mitchell looked great in summer league.

This could be totally unfounded and crap, but I wonder if Mitchell's slight increase in Usage rate his 2nd yr had something to do with a slight decrease in that yr.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:54 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm
Indy also gave up a first rounder and 2 seconds to get Brogdon.
Too rich for my blood.
Doesn't matter. They got their guy and looking around at the deals some other players got, it's actually a good proposition at $21.5M per. I would have loved it if Jones was able to pull it off.
I don't blame the Suns for not getting Brogdon. I could live with the salary, but investing that money in him AND giving up 3 draft picks is a non-starter for me.
Can't agree on this one. Two seconds is neglible in this context and the lotto protected 1stR pick is not a price that would keep me from adding a pice I value this highly. You tell me before the offseason that I can get Brogdon per under the max ($6M per/$32M overall), for the price of the MIL pick, #32 and another second round, and I can't say yes fast enough.

IND did very well, in my opinion.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Goals in the off season. Get a real PG and a real PF.

Check

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If nothing else, we addressed those needs. The FO did what it said it'd do.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Agreed.
We can moan all we want about who we got to fill those holes, but they are filled non the less.
We also have a bit of depth at all positions, probably also looking to bring in another 4/5.
A balanced roster that actually may perform like an NBA team.
For one off season it is not all doom and gloom.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

OE32 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:43 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:

There's definitely a parallel here. A bunch of kids who suck and can't win games. Miss out on the big name(s) in free agency and grab the old, pass-first, second-class point guard instead. Nash may be better than Rubio, but I'm not sure Stoudemire/Marion/JJ/QRich/Barbosa/Hunter is more talent than Booker/Ayton/Bridges/Oubre/Johnson/Jerome. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.
:?

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:00 am
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:54 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm
Indy also gave up a first rounder and 2 seconds to get Brogdon.
Too rich for my blood.
Doesn't matter. They got their guy and looking around at the deals some other players got, it's actually a good proposition at $21.5M per. I would have loved it if Jones was able to pull it off.
I don't blame the Suns for not getting Brogdon. I could live with the salary, but investing that money in him AND giving up 3 draft picks is a non-starter for me.
Can't agree on this one. Two seconds is neglible in this context and the lotto protected 1stR pick is not a price that would keep me from adding a pice I value this highly. You tell me before the offseason that I can get Brogdon per under the max ($6M per/$32M overall), for the price of the MIL pick, #32 and another second round, and I can't say yes fast enough.

IND did very well, in my opinion.
Not to mention they didnt NEED to do a sign and trade. They didnt need one for Rubio and Brogdon only got 5 mil per year more than Rubio.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's it? 5 Mil? A year? Pfft.
"Be Legendary."

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 pm
Assist to turnover ratio is currently the most overrated stat on this board. What is Steph Curry’s A:TO ratio?

Some PGs have a strong A:TO ratio because they can’t be trusted to run an offense. Not because they can.

Steph Curry is the greatest shooter of all time. He’s not a pure point so that’s kind of a weird point.

Nor do they run a traditional offense.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 pm
Assist to turnover ratio is currently the most overrated stat on this board. What is Steph Curry’s A:TO ratio?

Some PGs have a strong A:TO ratio because they can’t be trusted to run an offense. Not because they can.

Steph Curry is the greatest shooter of all time. He’s not a pure point so that’s kind of a weird point.

Nor do they run a traditional offense.
I’m just saying it’s being overused as a stat. Tyus Jones has always had a great A:TO. There’s also a reason he doesn’t start over Jeff Teague.