Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by In2ition »

Where would Rubio rank in all-time Suns on the list of pass first PGs?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Purely "pass first" he'd be right up there with Nash and Kidd, I imagine. Ahead of the likes of KJ, Marbury, Dragic, Bledsoe. Doesn't mean he's as good as Kidd/Nash or better than the guys in the other group.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:48 am
Does this mean we’re only ranking pg’s that were pass first, or are we ranking all the pg’s on their passing skills?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am
In2ition wrote:
Does this mean we’re only ranking pg’s that were pass first, or are we ranking all the pg’s on their passing skills?
You could do it any way you like. I am not old enough to know if DJ was a pass first PG or where I would rank him. I really only started following the Suns in '89 when I moved with my family to Phoenix. Maybe there were others that I don't know too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am
In2ition wrote:
You could do it any way you like. I am not old enough to know if DJ was a pass first PG or where I would rank him. I really only started following the Suns in '89 when I moved with my family to Phoenix. Maybe there were others that I don't know too.
Rubio is a great passer, he’d probably be 3rd on my list of best passers behind Nash and Kidd. I hope he can follow a little of the Kidd trajectory and become a decent spot up shooter. A guy like KJ, while maybe not the passer that Rubio is, was clearly a better player. I’d say the same for even Marbury. I think Rubio is on a similar level of player as Bledsoe was. Vastly different, but similar level.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think Rubio's weakness is far too glaring to be on a comparable level to Bledsoe. I can't get over his low at rim %. I don't mind the lack of 3 point shooting so much...

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

pickle wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:58 pm
I think Rubio's weakness is far too glaring to be on a comparable level to Bledsoe. I can't get over his low at rim %. I don't mind the lack of 3 point shooting so much...
I think we will come to see that Rubio is a better player than Bledsoe by a mile. Rubio wasn’t a good fit for the Jazz being that Donovan is a ball dominant combo guard. Bledsoe fits a little better on the Bucks and his stats wont change much this year. Rubio on the other hand will see his plus minus improve greatly and assists take a big bump up. It’d be nice if he could hit a three with greater accuracy but don’t underestimate the value of a playmaker who makes his teammates better.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I like Rubio and his game. I am not pretending that I'm anything close to his shadows as a player but when I play basketball my style is similar to him, so I absolutely wish him well. I also think he is a better fit for the Suns' current situation than most other teams in the league due to this team's complete inability to put a coherent *team* on the court. Having said that, for probably all other 29 teams, he's a lesser lead guard than Bledsoe. Even Magic probably needs Bledsoe to attack the basket to free up shots for the other players.

Again, I'm not one of those who hated the deal the Suns gave Rubio this summer. I would've preferred that it was for a few mil less per year or if the Suns had a team option in year 3, but even as is, I think it's a reasonable deal, especially given the level of cluelessness the team exhibited over the course of the past season.

Yet, he's still a really terrible scorer from pretty much all the areas that matter in the modern NBA other than the free throw line. I'd absolutely love for him to prove me wrong.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:00 pm
pickle wrote:
I think we will come to see that Rubio is a better player than Bledsoe by a mile. Rubio wasn’t a good fit for the Jazz being that Donovan is a ball dominant combo guard. Bledsoe fits a little better on the Bucks and his stats wont change much this year. Rubio on the other hand will see his plus minus improve greatly and assists take a big bump up. It’d be nice if he could hit a three with greater accuracy but don’t underestimate the value of a playmaker who makes his teammates better.
The reason that the Rubio signing was criticized is that at this point Booker is also seen as a ball dominant combo guard. If Booker has a hard time being effective off ball, there is some legitimacy to that criticism.

I think it should work though. Booker is more of a traditional SG than Donovan is.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:00 pm
pickle wrote:
The reason that the Rubio signing was criticized is that at this point Booker is also seen as a ball dominant combo guard. If Booker has a hard time being effective off ball, there is some legitimacy to that criticism.

I think it should work though. Booker is more of a traditional SG than Donovan is.
Booker is more Brandon Roy and on some nights Kobe-esque.