Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 am
What he should do and what he does do are not always in alignment. He is smart and had good size--there is no reason he should be so bad on defense. It wasn't just last year. It has been for 4 years. The question was about what I think will be most beneficial to the team. I didn't assume Booker would finally decide to play hard on defense. But even if he does, I still think that Bridges' shot will come around and he will be the better player on the court to match up with Rubio, Booker and Ayton.
You could be totally correct. I think the team on the floor needed Oubre's energy though, as it raised everyone else's energy and urgency out there. It can't all come from the bench, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:44 am
Indy wrote:
What he should do and what he does do are not always in alignment. He is smart and had good size--there is no reason he should be so bad on defense. It wasn't just last year. It has been for 4 years. The question was about what I think will be most beneficial to the team. I didn't assume Booker would finally decide to play hard on defense. But even if he does, I still think that Bridges' shot will come around and he will be the better player on the court to match up with Rubio, Booker and Ayton.
You could be totally correct. I think the team on the floor needed Oubre's energy though, as it raised everyone else's energy and urgency out there. It can't all come from the bench, imo.
I guess I don't see a huge difference in bench vs starter. to me it is about court time together, and what we do when a clear #1 or #2 isn't out there. If Booker or Ayton are on the bench, I want Oubre out there. That is doubly true if both are on the bench.

As a quick example--I looked up a game when we were at full strength and playing well last year. It was the Bucks game we won at home. We started the first part of the 2nd Quarter and the 4th quarter with both Ayton and Booker on the bench. In just those few minutes, we were -9 points. Kelly sat part of that time too, because he was on a similar rotation to Booker. I hope Book plays 34-35 minutes per game, and the same for Ayton, and that we limit the amount of time they are both out of the game. But I still expect 5-10 minutes a night where they are out, and I want to make sure Oubre is on the court then.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am hoping that with Rubio holding down the PG spot and Booker not having to carry such a big load on offense, that he might be able to spend more energy on defense.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm
I am hoping that with Rubio holding down the PG spot and Booker not having to carry such a big load on offense, that he might be able to spend more energy on defense.
Me too.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:21 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:44 am
Indy wrote:
I guess I don't see a huge difference in bench vs starter. to me it is about court time together, and what we do when a clear #1 or #2 isn't out there. If Booker or Ayton are on the bench, I want Oubre out there. That is doubly true if both are on the bench.

As a quick example--I looked up a game when we were at full strength and playing well last year. It was the Bucks game we won at home. We started the first part of the 2nd Quarter and the 4th quarter with both Ayton and Booker on the bench. In just those few minutes, we were -9 points. Kelly sat part of that time too, because he was on a similar rotation to Booker. I hope Book plays 34-35 minutes per game, and the same for Ayton, and that we limit the amount of time they are both out of the game. But I still expect 5-10 minutes a night where they are out, and I want to make sure Oubre is on the court then.
JUst based upon memory, the good games we had last year often coincided with Josh Jackson's rare good game. Haven't looked at stats, but I sure if I am wrong, someone will correct me.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Rubio shot 60/43/100 vs Tunisia.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:17 am
Rubio shot 60/43/100 vs Tunisia.
Nice.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

His technique was wrong but, he got the job done. Kind of reminds me of people talking about guys shooting in the NBA. Some of them have unique shooting techniques that are considered wrong and yet the ball goes in.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:36 pm
His technique was wrong but, he got the job done. Kind of reminds me of people talking about guys shooting in the NBA. Some of them have unique shooting techniques that are considered wrong and yet the ball goes in.
<thumbs up>
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder what kind of time off or restrictions we may see early on with Rubio and Baynes. I never like when our guys are on international teams playing late in the summer and then going right to training camp. It's good they're in shape and sharp, but there's gotta be some burnout and wear and tear.

SDC

Post by SDC »

No restrictions. I just don't want to see them get injured during the tournament.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Rubio leading spain to victory against serbia?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Upset city!

Edit: both of Rubio's threes are of the catch and shoot variety. 2/3.
Last edited by SDC on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Oubre should come off the bench, but play 30 minutes a night.

Cap

Post by Cap »

But he’s not Spanish...

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 am
But he’s not Spanish...
Plus he's wearing a China uniform.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the highlights, SDC. That announcer is horrible. He constantly says "he throws it up" on a shot attempt. Also, they better ban vuvuzelas in the States. What a horrible sound throughout the game.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

For Marty:

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He's so dreamy.