Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by Superbone »

I'm just glad we're going to enter the season with an actual fully-fledged team unlike last year without a starting quality PG or PF.
"Be Legendary."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

When Colangelo wanted a PG, he got KJ, Kidd, Marbury and Steve Nash.

Are we still not the worst team in the west? Any chance we make the playoffs in the next three years?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:54 pm
I'm happy with our new PG rotation. Rubio/Johnson/Jerome.
What I said:

"Be Legendary."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Put it this way: Jazz sure are excited to bring Conley in as Rubio's replacement next year.

Of course you have to shoot. Teams are averaging 35 3pt attempts in the modern NBA. Its all about 3pt shooting and spacing. This is why neither Wolves nor the Jazz thought Rubio was worth keeping.

Horrible signing.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:15 pm

Yeah, but they're all really old now.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:11 pm
He was never an offensive player. If he can hit the 3 and be a threat I'll take it. Just get everyone else easy looks and no more PointBook.

Also, it seemed like he was going to Indy and then they went with Brogdon. Wonder how it all went down for us.
I wonder if we thought we had Rozier at the 3/51 deal and then pivoted to Rubio when Indy pivoted to Brogdon.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:15 pm

Are we still not the worst team in the west? Any chance we make the playoffs in the next three years?
Have you seen who owns the team now? You need to lower your expectations. I'm just happy we have an NBA point guard again.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:17 pm
Put it this way: Jazz sure are excited to bring Conley in as Rubio's replacement next year.

Of course you have to shoot. Teams are averaging 35 3pt attempts in the modern NBA. Its all about 3pt shooting and spacing. This is why neither Wolves nor the Jazz thought Rubio was worth keeping.

Horrible signing.
We just need to win more than 19 games this upcoming season and I'll consider this off season progress.

Split T

Post by Split T »

da_suns_fan wrote:

Horrible signing.
Of course they wanted Conley over Rubio. Conley is an all star level pg. Rubio can’t shoot, but that’s not as big of an issue here. He was often on the court with Favors and Gobert. 3 non shooters is rough. He’ll be the only non shooter on the court for us. And maybe, just maybe, he’ll figure out how to shoot.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:18 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:11 pm
He was never an offensive player. If he can hit the 3 and be a threat I'll take it. Just get everyone else easy looks and no more PointBook.

Also, it seemed like he was going to Indy and then they went with Brogdon. Wonder how it all went down for us.
I wonder if we thought we had Rozier at the 3/51 deal and then pivoted to Rubio when Indy pivoted to Brogdon.
I prefer Rubio at 3/51 than Rozier at that price. Not to say I’m cool with Rubio’s contract.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:21 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:

Horrible signing.
Of course they wanted Conley over Rubio. Conley is an all star level pg. Rubio can’t shoot, but that’s not as big of an issue here. He was often on the court with Favors and Gobert. 3 non shooters is rough. He’ll be the only non shooter on the court for us. And maybe, just maybe, he’ll figure out how to shoot.
Remember when Jason Kidd learned how to shoot? We can only hope.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:24 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:21 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:

Horrible signing.
Remember when Jason Kidd learned how to shoot? We can only hope.
Rubio did hit 35% 2 years ago from 3. I’d take that

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:28 pm
He was 22nd in real plus minus and about league average in player efficiency rating. We paid a little too much for him, but not outrageously so. If he gets back to 35% from 3 pt range and 8+ assists per game, we could win 30 games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:28 pm
He was 22nd in real plus minus and about league average in player efficiency rating. We paid a little too much for him, but not outrageously so. If he gets back to 35% from 3 pt range and 8+ assists per game, we could win 30 games.
Wow, is this an endorsement from Wormwood?! :P
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:01 pm
I'm feeling pretty good about my 35+ win prediction for this season. It should be much more enjoyable than last season in spite of the late season stretch.
Last week my over/under was 29.5 and I felt like that was a little generous. Now I'm at 31.5.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:01 pm
I'm feeling pretty good about my 35+ win prediction for this season. It should be much more enjoyable than last season in spite of the late season stretch.
Last week my over/under was 29.5 and I felt like that was a little generous. Now I'm at 31.5.
That's something! :)
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think we all need to breathe a big sigh of relief that the Suns aren't spending $50M+ on Terry Rozier.

This team needs more adults in the locker room, and Rubio is way more in line with that than Rozier.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.