Suns sign Rubio

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Suns sign Rubio

Post by LazarusLong »

Just for some context, Jason Kidd shot just under 42% as a Sun.
The last three years, Rubio has shot just under 41%.

Yeah, he's not Steph Curry, but he's clearer much, much better than the string of cast-offs the Suns have run through in recent years.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I wouldn’t say it’s a horrible signing. I would call it underwhelming. Rubio makes this team better but I’m not sure by how many wins. I think they could have done better (Brogdon, DLo) but they could have done worse (Joseph, Rozier)

I would have given up picks like Indiana did for Brogdon. No question
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:43 pm
I think we all need to breathe a big sigh of relief that the Suns aren't spending $50M+ on Terry Rozier.

This team needs more adults in the locker room, and Rubio is way more in line with that than Rozier.
Yeah, I was hearing rumblings that Rozier might be a bit of a locker room cancer.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

LazarusLong wrote:

Yeah, he's not Steph Curry, but he's clearer much, much better than the string of cast-offs the Suns have run through in recent years.
He'll be making $17M a season for the privilege of shooting 40% from the field and 30% from 3. He better be able to defend his ass off. His DWS is at something like 2.8 which is impressive but I wonder how much of that is playing next to Rudy Gobert. And y'all don't go overboard expecting Nash-like passing either. He only put up 6 assists per game last year and 5 the year before. Nash he is not.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I don't think Rubio's any better than Tyler. Just a steady, capable NBA point guard. With him, Johnson and Jerome on the roster, we should have depth and stability at the position. We should be competitive most nights and beat the young and injured teams. The influx of passing from Rubio and Saric could be a springboard for Ayton's development as well.

Wow, the makings a full depth chart. It's been a while.

Rubio/Jerome
Booker/T. Johnson
Bridges/C. Johnson
Saric/Oubre
Ayton/Baynes

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 pm
LazarusLong wrote:

He'll be making $17M a season for the privilege of shooting 40% from the field and 30% from 3. He better be able to defend his ass off. His DWS is at something like 2.8 which is impressive but I wonder how much of that is playing next to Rudy Gobert. And y'all don't go overboard expecting Nash-like passing either. He only put up 6 assists per game last year and 5 the year before. Nash he is not.
His assists were suppressed by the Utah offense. We’ll see what we run here, but he is a fantastic passer. He just spent a lot of time without the ball in Utah. Which may be the case here as well, but we’ll see.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:28 pm
He was 22nd in real plus minus and about league average in player efficiency rating. We paid a little too much for him, but not outrageously so. If he gets back to 35% from 3 pt range and 8+ assists per game, we could win 30 games.
Wow, is this an endorsement from Wormwood?! :P
He's better than the guys I hated (Rozier, Joseph).

He cost more than Patrick Beverly, who probably would have helped more in the short term.

He cost more than Tyus Jones, who would have had the same effect

He cost a little less that guys who would have made us playoff contenders (Brogdon and DLo)

I'll give it a solid, "Meh, it's ok. Could have been worse. We're still probably the worst team in the west though. 25-30 wins vice 20." But, it's not the "OMFG we just paid Rozier what!?!!?" level of stupid we've come to expect.

I'll withold further judgment until I see what we do with the cap situation re: Jackson, Tyler Johnson, and Oubre.
Last edited by Wormwood on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:

No one is Steve Nash.

Also consider that Utah used Joe Ingles as the primary distributor a lot last season. I expect Rubio to be more of a facilitator in Phoenix than he was in Utah, especially more so than this past season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

carey wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:

He sure beats the hell out of 59 year old Jamal Crawford and soon to be playing for the NBDL, Melton.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm
carey wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:

His assists were suppressed by the Utah offense. We’ll see what we run here, but he is a fantastic passer. He just spent a lot of time without the ball in Utah. Which may be the case here as well, but we’ll see.
I have to agree with Flagrant here. Rubio put up 8-9 APG pretty consistently with Minnesota even when there was no one to pass to. He'll help withh Ayton and finding Cam Johnson and Saric on the perimeter. Utah's philosophy on pacing that putting air in basketballs was the worst thing ever tended to suppress his numbers.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Wormwood wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wormwood wrote:
Superbone wrote:
He was 22nd in real plus minus and about league average in player efficiency rating. We paid a little too much for him, but not outrageously so. If he gets back to 35% from 3 pt range and 8+ assists per game, we could win 30 games.

He cost more than Patrick Beverly, who probably would have helped more in the short term.

He cost a little less that guys who would have made us playoff contenders (Brogdon and DLo)

I'll give it a solid, "Meh, it's ok. Could have been worse. We're still probably the worst team in the west though. 25-30 wins vice 20." But, it's not the "OMFG we just paid Rozier what!?!!?" level of stupid we've come to expect.

I'll withold further judgment until I see what we do with the cap situation re: Jackson, Tyler Johnson, and Oubre.
Expect eye popping numbers from Oubre.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:11 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wormwood wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Expect eye popping numbers from Oubre.
LOL. That's assuming we keep him, because either Jackson or Tyler Johnson has to go in order to create enough cap space. We will see if the Suns FO is smart enough to realize that Oubre adds more than either of the first two to the team.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think they'd like to keep Tyler Johnson.

Jackson is the one who they need to dump on someone. I just hope it doesn't cost a future first round pick to do it.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:20 pm
I think they'd like to keep Tyler Johnson.

Jackson is the one who they need to dump on someone. I just hope it doesn't cost a future first round pick to do it.
We just need to clear about 3 million. Waiving and stretching him would accomplish that. No way we should consider giving up assets to dump him.

carey

Post by carey »

With Oubre, Rubio and Armani all on the team we're at least the sexiest team in the league. Which is something!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:58 pm
With Oubre, Rubio and Armani all on the team we're at least the sexiest team in the league. Which is something!
Ha ha! That's the attitude. :D
"Be Legendary."

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I didn't think we had to dump anyone..Is Rubios offer for more than we had in cap space? If not we can go over to sign Oubre I believe.

Split T

Post by Split T »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:54 pm
I didn't think we had to dump anyone..Is Rubios offer for more than we had in cap space? If not we can go over to sign Oubre I believe.
Ya we had like 13.4 million and Rubio will start at about 16 million, so we need to clear about 3 million in space.

carey

Post by carey »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:54 pm
Yes, his salary will start at $16.1M and we have $13.3M so it's about $2.8M more than we have to spend. Even getting rid of Melton & Okobo won't do it. We'll probably be trading Josh Jackson somewhere sometime soon.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!