Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
MightyMoog
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by MightyMoog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm

AmareIsGod wrote:
MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm
Also Meh. We’re going to miss Holmes. Kaminsky is a poor mans Saric. Don’t know why we needed both. We need some toughness and rebounding. Was hoping we’d go after someone like faried or cauley-Stein. Or we should’ve just kept Holmes.
Typically bench players that play less minutes are a poor man's version of their starting equivalent position.
More often than not, you want a different skill set out of your BU. Not just a lesser version of the same skill set.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by Shabazz » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm

We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?
Aron Baynes.

I really hope he sticks around if only to physically kick Ayton's ass in practice.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by Shabazz » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?
Aron Baynes.

I really hope he sticks around if only to physically kick Ayton's ass in practice.
I meant someone who’ll be playing alongside Ayton. I don’t see Ayton and Baynes sharing the court much.
Point Guard Needed. Apply here.

User avatar
iLLmatic
Posts: 3212
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:03 pm
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by iLLmatic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Anyone sad we didn't retain Holmes and Daniels? They both filled needs on this team.

User avatar
iLLmatic
Posts: 3212
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:03 pm
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by iLLmatic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Didn't Charlotte get offered a lot to trade out of that draft position but they wanted Frank really bad?

BlaCkAdDa
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Re: RE: Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by BlaCkAdDa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:27 pm

iLLmatic wrote:Anyone sad we didn't retain Holmes and Daniels? They both filled needs on this team.
A little but they were part of losing culture... Need to clear house a bit.

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5156
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by O_Gardino » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:27 pm

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:43 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm
Also Meh. We’re going to miss Holmes. Kaminsky is a poor mans Saric. Don’t know why we needed both. We need some toughness and rebounding. Was hoping we’d go after someone like faried or cauley-Stein. Or we should’ve just kept Holmes.
Typically bench players that play less minutes are a poor man's version of their starting equivalent position.
AIG has reached a new level of ice cold sarcasm. :lol:
SELL THE TEAM
#notank
#sarverout

Online
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 14973
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by Superbone » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, you're new backup PF:

Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by INFORMER » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm
Meh...I think I would have preferred Bender at the min. I guess he can shoot. I’m not expecting much playing time for him.
He'll probably be the first big off the bench.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by INFORMER » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:28 pm

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:51 pm
Not sure what the beef is. He's much better than Bender. People really have some odd love fest with Bender. He's SUCKED.
To be honest, Kaminsky has sucked for just about all of his career. He has shown flashes here and there, but nothing sustained. I don't prefer Bender though. I don't think there was any way you could go into next season counting on anything from Bender.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by INFORMER » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:31 pm

da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm
Why didnt they just keep Richaun Holmes?
I applaud for Holmes for being one of the few bright spots of the 2018-19 season, but he was bad defensively, despite his shot-blocking. And as others have said, Baynes is probably an upgrade.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3269
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by specialsauce » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?
Ayton needs to help himself down low. He’s our f*** franchise center. We needed a stretch 4 on the outside. If we need a bruiser for Ayton, just call him a big ass bust right now.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by INFORMER » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:38 pm

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
I actually came across Frank's name on a FA list and thought he might be a target for us. I would've preferred more defense, athleticism, shotblocking but like Marty said we're stocking up on shooters and mature guys/pros pros.
Kaminsky is another "NBA ready"experienced college player that has struggled considerably.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by INFORMER » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:39 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Agree with it or not, the plan by GM James Jones is clear. We sucked at shooting last season, so he's restocking the roster with guys who can hit 3s and spread the floor. We had too many young rooks who weren't ready to play, so he gets two of the older more mature players in the draft (who can also both shoot 3s). We had horrible ball movement and a stagnant offense, so he grabs a starting PG who can set up all of those shooters.

I don't know whether it will work. But at least it's a plan, and it's based around an actual consistent basketball strategy and not just asset management or perceived individual player value.
Participation award it is, I guess.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5095
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by INFORMER » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:56 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?
Aron Baynes.

I really hope he sticks around if only to physically kick Ayton's ass in practice.
I meant someone who’ll be playing alongside Ayton. I don’t see Ayton and Baynes sharing the court much.
Exactly. We've loaded up with shooting, which is nice and all, but outside of Ayton and Baynes, there isn't a rebounder to be found on the roster. Zero rim protection too. And a significant lack of athleticism. Those are some of the reasons why I was interested in Jordan Bell.
Free agent targets: Cheick Diallo, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Theo Pinson

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10765
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by carey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:21 pm

Baynes won an Aussie slam dunk competition!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 2157
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by AmareIsGod » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:32 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:39 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Agree with it or not, the plan by GM James Jones is clear. We sucked at shooting last season, so he's restocking the roster with guys who can hit 3s and spread the floor. We had too many young rooks who weren't ready to play, so he gets two of the older more mature players in the draft (who can also both shoot 3s). We had horrible ball movement and a stagnant offense, so he grabs a starting PG who can set up all of those shooters.

I don't know whether it will work. But at least it's a plan, and it's based around an actual consistent basketball strategy and not just asset management or perceived individual player value.
Participation award it is, I guess.
A life of pessimism isn't a fun way to live. Give optimism a try. Worse case, we actually do well and you wonder why you spent so many years with a miserable disposition about the team.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7716
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by Split T » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:39 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:22 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm
Meh...I think I would have preferred Bender at the min. I guess he can shoot. I’m not expecting much playing time for him.
He'll probably be the first big off the bench.
I hope not

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5576
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by In2ition » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:42 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:43 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:56 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:32 pm
We really need some defense and athleticism. I already listed my preferences for the vacant big man spot. Frank's a good player, but who's helping Ayton down low?
Aron Baynes.

I really hope he sticks around if only to physically kick Ayton's ass in practice.
I meant someone who’ll be playing alongside Ayton. I don’t see Ayton and Baynes sharing the court much.
Exactly. We've loaded up with shooting, which is nice and all, but outside of Ayton and Baynes, there isn't a rebounder to be found on the roster. Zero rim protection too. And a significant lack of athleticism. Those are some of the reasons why I was interested in Jordan Bell.
I definitely agree about athleticism and rim protection in the front court, with the exception of Ayton, and honestly it's like he hardly uses his athleticism. I think the per 36 and per 100 numbers for Kaminsky and Saric are pretty decent(not outstanding or great) in rebounding though. Much better than any of the wings.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"
Nate Duncan / Morten Jensen
Ben Goliver / Jake Madison
Bryan Toporek / John Karalis
Danny Leroux / Jonathan Feigen
Howard Beck / Dan Devine
Dan Favale / Andy Bailey
Coach Nick / Jared Weiss
Marc Jiang / David Aldridge

Post Reply