Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:53 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 pm
Maybe we have the 3rd guy already. Oubre, Bridges, Saric? Guys can emerge just the same.
The ideal would be having someone that makes Booker and Ayton #2 & #3. That would be a clear upgrade toward contention.
exactly. Without a monumental shift in Ayton on both ends of the floor, and Booker becoming a good defender, there is no way we are going to be in contention if those guys are our top 3 players.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Maybe we have the 3rd guy already. Oubre, Bridges, Saric? Guys can emerge just the same.
The ideal would be having someone that makes Booker and Ayton #2 & #3. That would be a clear upgrade toward contention.
exactly. Without a monumental shift in Ayton on both ends of the floor, and Booker becoming a good defender, there is no way we are going to be in contention if those guys are our top 3 players.
Your top players have to be two-way players if you want to contend for a championship.

Steph, Klay, KD, Draymond.
LeBron.
Kawhi.

You have to go all the way back to the Dallas championship in 2011 to find a team where the star player was not a good to great defender. Even then that Dallas team sported Jason Kidd and a young Tyson Chandler as part of its core.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:35 pm
Indy wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Your top players have to be two-way players if you want to contend for a championship.

LeBron.
Kawhi.

You have to go all the way back to the Dallas championship in 2011 to find a team where the star player was not a good to great defender. Even then that Dallas team sported Jason Kidd and a young Tyson Chandler as part of its core.
Steph is not a good to great defender.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:35 pm
Indy wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:

LeBron.
Kawhi.

Steph is not a good to great defender.
Yeah, he is just not bad. Good thing they have really good defenders on that team or it would be more apparent.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

2011 is not very far back to need to go to find a counterexample. And as others have said, Steph Curry is only fair on defense. Our stars could certainly improve to his level on D if they worked at it and were mentored properly.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I guess someone will post links later with Kelly presser but I just dig the guy's energy and hope he builds on his solid run at the end of the season.
I would get a laugh at his fashions n the whole Valley Boyz stuff and maybe it's because I follow a few Suns ppl on Twitter but really seems like he's starting a movement smh lol and does have a decent size fan club. I'm interested to see how things go next season and I'm not really concerned about him being complacent
Here thinking about it, different players obviously but he probably will be like our Marcus Smart personality wise. Celtics fans love that guy because of the energy he brings every night, a deflection and he's clapping getting everyone riled up a steal leading to a fastbreak and so on and TD Garden starts going bonkers. I believe Kelly will continue to be that for us , doing his shoulder shrugs lol and getting the bench/crowd pumped.
Others have concerns about Oubre efficiency which is fair but like with Smart who has that issue also at times , despite that he's still a critical piece of what they do and hopefully it plays out the same for us with Kelly positively impacting games most nights
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

carey

Post by carey »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:28 pm
I guess someone will post links later with Kelly presser but I just dig the guy's energy and hope he builds on his solid run at the end of the season.
I would get a laugh at his fashions n the whole Valley Boyz stuff and maybe it's because I follow a few Suns ppl on Twitter but really seems like he's starting a movement smh lol and does have a decent size fan club. I'm interested to see how things go next season and I'm not really concerned about him being complacent
Here thinking about it, different players obviously but he probably will be like our Marcus Smart personality wise. Celtics fans love that guy because of the energy he brings every night, a deflection and he's clapping getting everyone riled up a steal leading to a fastbreak and so on and TD Garden starts going bonkers. I believe Kelly will continue to be that for us , doing his shoulder shrugs lol and getting the bench/crowd pumped.
Others have concerns about Oubre efficiency which is fair but like with Smart who has that issue also at times , despite that he's still a critical piece of what they do and hopefully it plays out the same for us with Kelly positively impacting games most nights
It's already been posted in the news thread. www.suns.com/now
Go Suns!

Og Snus!