Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Kelly Oubre Jr. Restricted Free Agent Watch

Post by JeremyG »

I’m honestly shocked that we’ve still heard nothing about Oubre. In this case, no news is not good news.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I would have thought we'd hear by today now that Kahwi is settled.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:03 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:01 pm
I'm not a fan of him playing for the QO. I want him back, but if his salary demands are too much for the front office, they need to proactively seek a sign & trade.
Gotcha. I don't want him playing for the QO either. What's your top price per year?
$18 mil/yr
Thanks. That's where I'm at.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:36 pm
If the Suns were willing to pay him $18 million per year, he would be signed already.

They are obviously lowballing him

Here we go again. Sigh.
18 million seems like wayyyy to much. He's had one half of a good season.

Sarver is always comparing the players to each other. He famously said he based Joe Johnson's offer after looking around the leauge and seeing what Nash was making and what Manu Ginobili was making (of course those two players were steals at the time). If Devin Booker is making 27 million, is Oubre worth 18?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

$18M/year is ridiculous. $14M/year is my limit.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:44 pm
$18M/year is ridiculous. $14M/year is my limit.
We paid Rubio 17. I’ll pay him 18

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:56 pm
45% from the field, 32% from 3. His VORP is barely over 0 so he's statistically almost average. His defensive win share is .8 and offensive is .5. Rubio's VORP is .9 but has a defensive win share of 2.8 and an offensive win share of .9. I guess I don't understand why you'd pay him *more* than Rubio. He doesn't impact a game nearly as much. He could improve though. But that was by far his best basketball of his career and the circumstances aren't likely to repeat since it's a new coaching staff and almost an entirely new roster next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I'm comfortable with $14-15 million. Oubre really hasn't done much to warrant beyond that.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:03 pm
specialsauce wrote:
45% from the field, 32% from 3. His VORP is barely over 0 so he's statistically almost average. His defensive win share is .8 and offensive is .5. Rubio's VORP is .9 but has a defensive win share of 2.8 and an offensive win share of .9. I guess I don't understand why you'd pay him *more* than Rubio. He doesn't impact a game nearly as much. He could improve though. But that was by far his best basketball of his career and the circumstances aren't likely to repeat since it's a new coaching staff and almost an entirely new roster next year.
Exactly. Overpaying for average is a recipe for disaster.

It seems like a lot of people are clouded by a 3 month performance where everything around him was a dumpster fire.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm
My question too but I was going to use "whom"? :D

ETA: I'm still trying to learn when to use "whom" correctly. Still going by sound. Need to learn the grammatical rules.
Grammar Nazi here!

Use "who" if it's a subject and "whom" if it's an object. The easiest way to tell which is right is to substitute "he" or "him" and see which sounds right.

To target he? No.

To target him? Yes.

So, to target whom.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm
My question too but I was going to use "whom"? :D

ETA: I'm still trying to learn when to use "whom" correctly. Still going by sound. Need to learn the grammatical rules.
Grammar Nazi here!

Use "who" if it's a subject and "whom" if it's an object. The easiest way to tell which is right is to substitute "he" or "him" and see which sounds right.

To target he? No.

To target him? Yes.

So, to target whom.
Thanks.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

carey wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:03 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Why would you assume he's not likely to repeat those numbers or improve upon them just because there's a new coaching staff and roster? I think it'd be the opposite, given the supposed issues with the coaching staff last year and the garbage we had at PG. He could be that much better with a PG like Rubio, just like a guy like Shawn was because of Nash. You can't go by past numbers when he was on somewhat dysfunctional teams in Washington and was traded mid-year to our mess. From what I saw, he was a big plus for us on the court. I'd give him 18 without blinking because I think he's worth it to us as a club. Most likely, we're in the 12-14 range and aren't budging which is shortsighted. But if he and his agent are asking for 20-24mil, then we're right to hold firm.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:01 pm
I think the Jackson salary dump is still being finalized, then we can finalize the Rubio signing, then we can sign Oubre.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
I think the Jackson salary dump is still being finalized, then we can finalize the Rubio signing, then we can sign Oubre.
Good points.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
Nothing is stopping them from coming to terms.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Why would you assume he's not likely to repeat those numbers or improve upon them just because there's a new coaching staff and roster? I think it'd be the opposite, given the supposed issues with the coaching staff last year and the garbage we had at PG. He could be that much better with a PG like Rubio, just like a guy like Shawn was because of Nash. You can't go by past numbers when he was on somewhat dysfunctional teams in Washington and was traded mid-year to our mess. From what I saw, he was a big plus for us on the court. I'd give him 18 without blinking because I think he's worth it to us as a club. Most likely, we're in the 12-14 range and aren't budging which is shortsighted. But if he and his agent are asking for 20-24mil, then we're right to hold firm.
I would expect Oubre's shooting percentages to go up somewhat with Rubio distributing the ball, as I would with most everybody in our starting lineup.

I hope we can get Oubre for less than $18m/year, but I'm worried it'll be closer to $20m/year given that there are so many dumb contracts for lesser players at that range, such as our own Tyler Johnson for $20m/year.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mavs have 22 mil in cap space, why doesn't he go there?

Give him a 2 yr contract Ave. 15 mil/yr

Split T

Post by Split T »

The suns would match, why would Dallas waste time with it?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

4/56. Get it done.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”