Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

How many wins?

< 20
No votes
20-24
2%
25-29
17%
30-34
21%
35-39
40%
40-44
10%
45-50
8%
> 50
2%

Total votes: 52

Mori Chu

Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Mori Chu »

Now that we've signed Oubre, our 2019 offseason is essentially complete. We might sign a third PF at a minimum salary or something of that nature, but our roster is basically complete. And most of the other teams have finished making their major signings and trades, as well.

So let's get to it! How many regular season wins is this revamped Suns team going to get next season? Feel free to give your rationale below in a reply.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Basically an entire roster unfamiliar with each other and an entirely new coaching staff. It's gonna take some time to gel, especially in a very competitive western conference. On the positive side, there won't be any tanking and I think there won't be many nights were it seems like the Suns have no chance at all.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Think I’m in the 35-39 range. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more like 30-32 though as the west will be very tough. If everything clicks and we’re blessed with good health, I could see us top 40.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

30-34.

I just think this team is built a lot better than the last few years and has a little better depth.

Plus I am anxious to see Ayton with a good point guard.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Basically an entire roster unfamiliar with each other and an entirely new coaching staff. It's gonna take some time to gel, especially in a very competitive western conference. On the positive side, there won't be any tanking and I think there won't be many nights were it seems like the Suns have no chance at all.
Aren't many of the teams unfamiliar with their roster this year?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I’m in the 35-39 range. I wouldn’t be surprised with a few more.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Do I really need to explain the difference between the Suns roster and, say, the Clippers'?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:04 pm
In2ition wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Do I really need to explain the difference between the Suns roster and, say, the Clippers'?
Oh, you think I was only referring to the Clippers...explains the snarky response. I assume that the Clippers and Lakers will be better than the Suns.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:04 pm
In2ition wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Oh, you think I was only referring to the Clippers...explains the snarky response. I assume that the Clippers and Lakers will be better than the Suns.
The snark wasn't intended, it just seems silly to equate the Suns turnover with other teams when no team East of Staples Center has had a bigger overhaul. The Suns roster doesn't have a single current all-star either. Maybe they get one this year, but it's still a long shot.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I voted 35-39 before seeing the results or reading the comments and was surprised to see the majority with me.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 pm
I voted 35-39 before seeing the results or reading the comments and was surprised to see the majority with me.
Same

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

25-29. Unless Ayton becomes a force on defense.

SDC

Post by SDC »

They can make the playoffs if they have a good start.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I voted 25-29.

Saric is going to be a bright spot, and both Booker and Bridges will improve their 3pt accuracy.

Coaching will be a relief after last season, but Monty won't be a savior. Basically the same story for Rubio.

Ayton will improve, but folks are going to be disappointed. It's going to be harder for his fans to keep making excuses for him as the season goes on.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If the Suns with all the improvements that they seemed to make only win 25-29 games, it's time to hang up my Suns fandom card. I just don't see them ever making it back to the playoffs in that case and this franchise is eternally doomed.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am
If the Suns with all the improvements that they seemed to make only win 25-29 games, it's time to hang up my Suns fandom card. I just don't see them ever making it back to the playoffs in that case and this franchise is eternally doomed.
I felt the same way last summer.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:13 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am
I felt the same way last summer.
I did too, but I expected them to trade for a PG, which they didn't and started the season off badly because of it. I totally overestimated how bad Ryan Anderson was. I thought Ariza would be a good soldier and wasn't. I thought Dragan would shoot better, and didn't. I thought that Igor would be much more competent and made a lot of bad mistakes with a terribly unbalanced roster. I also thought that Jackson would improve, and he was worse.

Maybe I'm going to be totally wrong, but it's nice to have talent and depth at all positions. So if injuries or crappy play by some show up, there is depth to slide in and replace them this year, imo.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we are legitimately a 25 win team, and don’t end up there because of something flukey, then there really isn’t any other option than to put it on Booker. There is no reason we should play anyone this year that isn’t nba caliber. We have solid role players, if we can’t win, then it means Booker is not as good as we thought and not a number 1 option.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 am
If we are legitimately a 25 win team, and don’t end up there because of something flukey, then there really isn’t any other option than to put it on Booker. There is no reason we should play anyone this year that isn’t nba caliber. We have solid role players, if we can’t win, then it means Booker is not as good as we thought and not a number 1 option.
I don't agree with this. Booker is not going to be a relevant defender but he is a shotmaker force and in theory it is possible to make it work if you put the right kind of players around him (and Ayton). If you build a roster that is fatally flawed on defense (and rebounding), it's the FO who fails. This is not the East. You don't get to play four times against NYK, CLE or a bunch deceptively decent teams.