Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

How many wins?

< 20
0
No votes
20-24
0
No votes
25-29
9
17%
30-34
12
23%
35-39
21
40%
40-44
5
10%
45-50
4
8%
> 50
1
2%
 
Total votes: 52

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8976
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Indy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:03 pm

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:28 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am
I think we're better than the Mavs. I like Doncic and KP a lot, but we have a better best 3 guys (Rubio, Booker, Ayton) than they do
Rubio is in our "best 3"?!

And I don't know what team vs. team debate is won with playing the Ricky Rubio card.
Rubio is clearly in our best 3. For PGs. He is probably our best PG. ;)

But unless he shoots better than he ever has from 3 and from 2, he won't be in our best 3. If our best three are not Booker, Ayton, and Oubre, we are going to be hurting this year.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15355
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Superbone » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm
Assuming Ayton will show something he hasn't, while assuming KP won't have something he has shown us, seems like a bad way to win an argument.
Seems like a silly argument to begin with.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

Phoenix219
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13 am

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Phoenix219 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Rubio is going to be top 3. He's going to get 16/8.

User avatar
Aztec Sunsfan
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Aztec Sunsfan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:34 pm

The same argument about precipitated assumptions could be made about KP’s health, specially after a year out. Jury will be out on both players next year.

JeremyG
Posts: 1212
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by JeremyG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 pm

I was not trying to win an argument. I was making a bet/prediction.

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3825
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by SDC » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 am

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am
What am I missing on Dallas? Doncic is great and KP has been very good, but he’ll have sat out a year and a half when he plays his next game. Still, assuming he has no problem returning to form, what else does Dallas have? Seth Curry? Tim Hardaway Jr? JJ Barea? The rest of their team is pretty meh. I think we should be better than them.
Supporting cast also includes Delon Wright, Jalen Brunson, and Courtney Lee. More importantly, they have one of the best coaches in the league.
I think PHX will have a better record than dallas because i dont think KP will return to his old form.

User avatar
Wormwood
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Wormwood » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 am

25-29. We're about 10 games better than last year. Still no defense at SG, PF, or C. No shooting at PG. No rebounding from PFs. Too many holes to be a good, or even average, team.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8976
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Indy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:40 am

Wormwood wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 am
25-29. We're about 10 games better than last year. Still no defense at SG, PF, or C. No shooting at PG. No rebounding from PFs. Too many holes to be a good, or even average, team.
I think Saric/Diallo is a pretty significant upgrade in rebounding over TJ Warren and Bender. I assume when we play Bridges/Oubre at 4 it will be about the same as when we did that last year.

LazarusLong
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by LazarusLong » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am

After off-season moves, Suns should advance from cesspool of the NBA to semi-competent mediocrity.

A good target is 30-31 wins. If a number of things break right, then it could be 36-37 wins. But that's a big "if."
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10810
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by carey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 am

38 wins.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15355
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Superbone » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am

carey wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 am
38 wins.
You just had to best Laz, didn’t you? ;)
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 10048
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm
Assuming Ayton will show something he hasn't, while assuming KP won't have something he has shown us, seems like a bad way to win an argument.
Ayton is entering his second season. Most good young players show new improvements to their game as they grow. Kristaps Porzingis tore his ACL. Most players who tear their ACL take a while to recover back to 100%. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume Ayton will be better next year than this year, and that Porzingis will be worse next year than in previous years.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10810
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by carey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 am
38 wins.
You just had to best Laz, didn’t you? ;)
Mebbe.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 15355
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Superbone » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm

carey wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 am
38 wins.
You just had to best Laz, didn’t you? ;)
Mebbe.
:D It’s like we’re playing The Price is Right. I’ll tell you what though, it will be awesome if we approach 40 wins!
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8976
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Indy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm
Assuming Ayton will show something he hasn't, while assuming KP won't have something he has shown us, seems like a bad way to win an argument.
Ayton is entering his second season. Most good young players show new improvements to their game as they grow. Kristaps Porzingis tore his ACL. Most players who tear their ACL take a while to recover back to 100%. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume Ayton will be better next year than this year, and that Porzingis will be worse next year than in previous years.
Like Paul George or Lowry? Guys have been coming back pretty effectively after it this century. PG missed most of a season and came back just as great his first season back, and still played 81 games at 35 mpg. And Lowry ruptured his while in college. Hasn't really slowed him down. KP is also coming back to a team that has a bona fide ball handler that can demand double teams and set him up at the same time. I expect him to have his best season yet.

LazarusLong
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by LazarusLong » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 pm

carey wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 am
38 wins.
You just had to best Laz, didn’t you? ;)
Mebbe.
Thanks, gang, but I'm really at 30-31.
The higher projection was premised on few injuries, a few career years (or major steps forward by Ayton and Bridges), and some bad chemistry within other Western Conference teams.
Once upon a time, in what seems an epoch ago, the Phoenix Suns were a respectable NBA franchise ...

User avatar
AmareIsGod
Posts: 2192
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by AmareIsGod » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm
Assuming Ayton will show something he hasn't, while assuming KP won't have something he has shown us, seems like a bad way to win an argument.
Ayton is entering his second season. Most good young players show new improvements to their game as they grow. Kristaps Porzingis tore his ACL. Most players who tear their ACL take a while to recover back to 100%. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume Ayton will be better next year than this year, and that Porzingis will be worse next year than in previous years.
Like Paul George or Lowry? Guys have been coming back pretty effectively after it this century. PG missed most of a season and came back just as great his first season back, and still played 81 games at 35 mpg. And Lowry ruptured his while in college. Hasn't really slowed him down. KP is also coming back to a team that has a bona fide ball handler that can demand double teams and set him up at the same time. I expect him to have his best season yet.
Paul George and Lawry aren't 7ft3 with a prior history of issues.

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/02/27/new- ... -injury-2/
From January of 2016 until February of 2017 (approximately one year and one month), Porzingis suffered six different injuries. He has injured his left Achilles, left groin, left leg, right shoulder, right ankle, and right foot.

The disturbing thing about Porzingis’ injuries is that they’re not coincidental. Towering big men have a lengthy history with lower-extremity injuries.
And that was before he tore his ACL last season and before a few other injuries he suffered leading up to that.

You really expect him to stay healthy and have his best season next year?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. You got dudes like Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, all these 7-footers, doing everything. There's no stopping us. - Ayton

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8976
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Indy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:58 pm

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:01 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm
Assuming Ayton will show something he hasn't, while assuming KP won't have something he has shown us, seems like a bad way to win an argument.
Ayton is entering his second season. Most good young players show new improvements to their game as they grow. Kristaps Porzingis tore his ACL. Most players who tear their ACL take a while to recover back to 100%. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume Ayton will be better next year than this year, and that Porzingis will be worse next year than in previous years.
Like Paul George or Lowry? Guys have been coming back pretty effectively after it this century. PG missed most of a season and came back just as great his first season back, and still played 81 games at 35 mpg. And Lowry ruptured his while in college. Hasn't really slowed him down. KP is also coming back to a team that has a bona fide ball handler that can demand double teams and set him up at the same time. I expect him to have his best season yet.
Paul George and Lawry aren't 7ft3 with a prior history of issues.

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/02/27/new- ... -injury-2/
From January of 2016 until February of 2017 (approximately one year and one month), Porzingis suffered six different injuries. He has injured his left Achilles, left groin, left leg, right shoulder, right ankle, and right foot.

The disturbing thing about Porzingis’ injuries is that they’re not coincidental. Towering big men have a lengthy history with lower-extremity injuries.
And that was before he tore his ACL last season and before a few other injuries he suffered leading up to that.

You really expect him to stay healthy and have his best season next year?
I expect he will play in +65 games and score over 20 ppg with his best efficiencies of his career. I don't ever see him as being a guy that plays +75 games in a season regularly. I think Luca is probably the best player he has shared the court with in his young career (Melo and Rose were way past their peaks).

User avatar
OE32
Posts: 1602
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:43 am

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by OE32 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:32 pm

With the extreme level of competition in the west this year, a lot would seem to depend on (i) other teams' having health problems, as we need to take some wins from Denver, GSW, Houston, LAC, LAL, Portland and Utah if we're going to win more than 35, (ii) Ayton stepping up, so we have the talent necessary to win series against competitive teams like Sacto, Minny, OKC, San Antonio, Dallas, and New Orleans, and to a lesser extent, (iii) Ty Jerome and/or Cam Johnson being able to contribute in year one, so we have the depth necessary to win games when our starters inevitably suffer injury.

No one can confidently say that we'll be better than all of Dallas, Memphis, Minnesota, New Orleans, SAS and Sacto, which would seem to be the base requirement for us to nab the 8th seed, unless one of GSW, Houston, Denver, LAC, LAL, Portland or Utah somehow slip (GSW seems to be the most vulnerable to me, which doesn't bode well for our chances to move higher than #8). So even if you're a big believer in this team, projecting playoffs for this group seems foolish.

Sad to consider how good we'd look in the East. Just looking at wins for next season, I could see us plausibly getting as high as #3. It's like we have two leagues... Damn. Just look at the enormity of the disparity! Of the 16 best teams in the league, arguably 14 of them would come from the Western Conference if the schedules weren't so lopsided! Would next year's TOR, BOS or BKN make the playoffs in the west? I tend to doubt it!

Here's hoping James Jones manages to trade next year's lottery pick for multiple future firsts and continues to manage the cap wisely. Keep this team together another year or two and perhaps we'll be able to eke into Playoff Bracket A, aka, the Western Conference Playoffs.

I voted 30-34 wins, and I think that's optimistic.

User avatar
Sad Suns Fan
Posts: 6179
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Predict 2019-20 Suns # of wins

Post by Sad Suns Fan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

33
The past is a place of reference, not a place of residence.

Post Reply