The Next Suns Power Forward

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Which of these is most appealing?

Kevin Love for Tyler Johnson and Dario Saric
No votes
Blake Griffin for Tyler Johnson, Dario Saric, Cam Johnson, Frank Kaminsky, 2020 top 8-protected 1st rounder (becomes 2021 unprotected)
9%
Aaron Gordon for Tyler Johnson, Cam Johnson, 2020 top 8-protected 1st rounder (becomes 2021 unprotected), 2 second rounders
13%
Ride or Die with The Homie Dario
78%

Total votes: 23

SDC

Re: The Next Suns Power Forward

Post by SDC »

Only one person voted for that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I love the "Dario Saric will be better than Kevin Love, Aaron Gordon, and Blake Griffen over the next couple of years" takes. It is such a suns fan optimism, because that is all we have left.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Booker / Griffin / Ayton + role players would not make the playoffs.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:17 am
I love the "Dario Saric will be better than Kevin Love, Aaron Gordon, and Blake Griffin over the next couple of years" takes. It is such a suns fan optimism, because that is all we have left.
Comparison of the 4: http://bkref.com/tiny/9WJcL

I don't hate Aron Gordon, I just don't want to give up players + picks + cap space for him.

In 2013-14, Love and Griffin were the top 2 PFs in the NBA, and they looked like HOF locks. But they have both gone downhill sooooo much since then. Neither of those guys can move anymore, and they are both huge risks to miss entire seasons with injuries. Neither one of those guys is in his prime. Saric is literally a better defender than either one already, and Saric is improving while Griffin and Love are getting worse. I don't even think it's a stretch to say that Dario will play more minutes, get more rebounds, and hit more 3s than either Griffin or Love next season.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
I love the "Dario Saric will be better than Kevin Love, Aaron Gordon, and Blake Griffen over the next couple of years" takes. It is such a suns fan optimism, because that is all we have left.
I don't know that he'll be better but I'll take his youth, versatility and potentially cheaper contract over Love at this point. I don't know how anyone can trust Griffin's health and while he's a stat stuffer, I think he's too ball dominant, doesn't play D and hasn't really proven to be a winning player. Gordon's a nice player, not a favorite of mine. I think he's a bad tweener and would rather have Saric on this team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All of those guys are probably better individual players than Saric, but winning in the NBA is about fit and role. Saric is a better shooter than the others, he's cheaper, and he won't hog the ball. I could see a healthy Love being better for us, but the contract is huge and it'd take too much to get him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 am
Indy wrote:
I don't know that he'll be better but I'll take his youth, versatility and potentially cheaper contract over Love at this point. I don't know how anyone can trust Griffin's health and while he's a stat stuffer, I think he's too ball dominant, doesn't play D and hasn't really proven to be a winning player. Gordon's a nice player, not a favorite of mine. I think he's a bad tweener and would rather have Saric on this team.
None of the guys are a favorite of mine either, but to say our team would be better with Cam, Frank, and Dario next year over Griffin seems like purple & orange colored glasses.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea but to what end? Where would Griffin get us to? 40 wins and still missing the playoffs? He wouldn't make us contenders and we'd be stuck with a injury prone player who has 3 years 100+mil left on his deal.

If we were at 35-38 wins last year and looking to make a jump, I might be more interested but right now?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

You only get those 40 wins IF Blake can stay healthy. If he plays 30 games, or 60 but he's limping through them... Then we have another bad losing season and we've given away young players and picks for nothing.

High risk, low reward.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am
Yea but to what end? Where would Griffin get us to? 40 wins and still missing the playoffs? He wouldn't make us contenders and we'd be stuck with a injury prone player who has 3 years 100+mil left on his deal.

If we were at 35-38 wins last year and looking to make a jump, I might be more interested but right now?
I agree that I wouldn't do it now. I am saying if DET sucks out of the gate despite Blake playing well and healthy, and we are doing much better than expected but having some challenges in the front court because our PF rotation isn't working, I think the cost would be worth it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

I agree that I wouldn't do it now. I am saying if DET sucks out of the gate despite Blake playing well and healthy, and we are doing much better than expected but having some challenges in the front court because our PF rotation isn't working, I think the cost would be worth it.
Where I’m at. I could get behind a griffin trade if we could make a playoff push with him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

yeah that was how I read the original post.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Their current teams, perhaps Cleveland as the exception, wouldn’t trade any of this guys unless they are underperforming heavily, and Dario won’t carry enough traction as a trade asset except if he is over performing (specially because he will be a RFA this summer), that’s why I think we are overpaying in all those scenarios. Cap relief, young talent and draft assets for guys with huge contracts or overpaid? That’s too much to me for taking a gamble on that player returning to level with a change of team, and that’s not even considering the Age issues looming ahead (Gordon at that salary is Orlando’s TJ Warren: looks like a bargain, but at the end of the day, it’s not getting the job done)