Phoenix Suns Training Camp 2019 - Flagstaff, AZ - Oct 1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Phoenix Suns Training Camp 2019 - Flagstaff, AZ - Oct 1

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So after training camp and possibly as far as past preseason. I would ask Rubio, but possibly Saric and Baynes, "What surprised them the most about this group or particular players?"
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 pm
So after training camp and possibly as far as past preseason. I would ask Rubio, but possibly Saric and Baynes, "What surprised them the most about this group or particular players?"
“They’re called The Suns. Who knew? I thought they were The Sans.”

Split T

Post by Split T »

Some pretty glowing comments for Cam and Ty Jerome coming out of camp so far.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 pm
“They’re called The Suns. Who knew? I thought they were The Sans.”
Lol
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Am I crazy for already really liking this squad? They just seem like a fun team in the making, a bunch of guys who mostly try to play the right way and get along well. I am looking forward to this season a lot.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:25 am
Am I crazy for already really liking this squad? They just seem like a fun team in the making, a bunch of guys who mostly try to play the right way and get along well. I am looking forward to this season a lot.
Seems like a good group to me, too. What do we think of Oubre's injury? It doesn't seem serious but missing training camp time is no bueno. Especially with a new coach & system.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I can honestly say I'm more excited about this season and this year's roster than I've been since the end of the Nash era. I feel like we have actual roster balance, guys who fit together and a PG who can run the team. No dual PG backcourt, we don't have 5 SFs forcing 1 or 2 to play PF, no useless overpaid vets on a different "timeline" from the younger players. Not sure what that means in terms of wins or losses but this is a group I can feel good about. Genuinely never liked any of the teams we put out there the past 8 or so seasons.

carey

Post by carey »

There's an interview with Steve Blake on the athletic and he talks his responsibilities in working with the PG group. He only mentions Rubio, Jerome, and Carter which I thought odd.
What do you hope to bring to this staff? And what are your primary day-to-day responsibilities?

One, a perspective of a player who’s played for a while that semi-retired kind of recently, like three years ago. Just having that perspective from the game. My role will mostly be to work with the point guards, give my insight, work guys out, watch film with them and just kind of be a guy that can help out in any way possible. At the point-guard position, we have a solid veteran in Ricky Rubio who really knows the game already and is a savvy veteran. And then we’ve got some young guys in Ty and Jevon, who I’ve really enjoyed working with and can impart as much knowledge as I can.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 am
I can honestly say I'm more excited about this season and this year's roster than I've been since the end of the Nash era. I feel like we have actual roster balance, guys who fit together and a PG who can run the team. No dual PG backcourt, we don't have 5 SFs forcing 1 or 2 to play PF, no useless overpaid vets on a different "timeline" from the younger players. Not sure what that means in terms of wins or losses but this is a group I can feel good about. Genuinely never liked any of the teams we put out there the past 8 or so seasons.
I liked the 48 win team but other than that, yeah.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:38 am
There's an interview with Steve Blake on the athletic and he talks his responsibilities in working with the PG group. He only mentions Rubio, Jerome, and Carter which I thought odd.
What do you hope to bring to this staff? And what are your primary day-to-day responsibilities?

One, a perspective of a player who’s played for a while that semi-retired kind of recently, like three years ago. Just having that perspective from the game. My role will mostly be to work with the point guards, give my insight, work guys out, watch film with them and just kind of be a guy that can help out in any way possible. At the point-guard position, we have a solid veteran in Ricky Rubio who really knows the game already and is a savvy veteran. And then we’ve got some young guys in Ty and Jevon, who I’ve really enjoyed working with and can impart as much knowledge as I can.
Mainly due to the lack of an Okobo mention?
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 am
I would agree. First year I don’t actively dislike any of the players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:28 am
carey wrote:

Monty Williams or James Jones, I don’t remember which, didn’t mention okobo either when talking about the pg rotation.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Okobo looked lost in Summer League. But I'd like to think that Lecque is getting some attention form the coaches.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 am
What do we think of Oubre's injury? It doesn't seem serious but missing training camp time is no bueno. Especially with a new coach & system.
I am not too worried. Hands heal. I'm sure it is just precautionary. Probably won't be 100% at the start of the season and will have a poor shooting percentage because of it, but he'll get there.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:21 am
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

Monty Williams or James Jones, I don’t remember which, didn’t mention okobo either when talking about the pg rotation.
I'm pretty sure that they've decided that Okobo is going to be either a 2 or 3 going forward. Also, it looks like they've decided that Jerome is going to be the backup PG and Tyler is going to be the backup SG.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:21 am
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

I'm pretty sure that they've decided that Okobo is going to be either a 2 or 3 going forward. Also, it looks like they've decided that Jerome is going to be the backup PG and Tyler is going to be the backup SG.
Yep, Ty the backup 1, Tyler the backup 2, Carter the situational defensive 3rd pg. Lecque is a developmental guy. Harper is just a solid guy we gave a 2-way deal to so he’d hang around and be our g league pg. That makes Okobo our 3rd string 2-guard. Probably his last year here, if he makes it through the year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:42 pm
carey wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 am
What do we think of Oubre's injury? It doesn't seem serious but missing training camp time is no bueno. Especially with a new coach & system.
I am not too worried. Hands heal. I'm sure it is just precautionary. Probably won't be 100% at the start of the season and will have a poor shooting percentage because of it, but he'll get there.
It's his non-shooting hand.
"Be Legendary."