2019 FIBA World Cup

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 am
Maybe it's splitting hairs. But I do think they needed more talent. More shooting talent, more rebounding talent, more passing talent, more defensive talent. Not a bunch of "energy" or "athleticism" guys like Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Miles Turner. I mean, this team had Harrison Barnes on it! P.U.! Again, maybe we're splitting hairs; maybe they didn't need strictly "more" talent but rather the right kind of talent. But this is not an imposing group of guys. Other than 1-2 of them, who are you scared of taking a 3? Who is a great distributor, a great passer on this team? Why would this totally random group of guys play well together? If this were an NBA team it'd win 30 games. Why should it win an international competition?
Ben Dowsett and David Locke will try to convince you that Donovan Mitchell is the great passer and distributor you are looking for. He had a 5:1 assist to turnover ratio in the tournament.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mitchell is a great player. But they didn't have many players of his caliber on the squad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Holy crap, the USA just lost again, this time to Serbia. The USA team was down 32-7 after the first quarter.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

They've given up. Would it be false to call them front runners?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:31 pm
Maybe. But the croatian team was talking shit about them saying they don't want to meet them in the tourny or USA would regret it. A 32-7 quarter to start the game says a lot.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Bogdanovic with 28. Dude can play.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am
I really hate the take that we needed more talent. France payed better than the US - they didn't have more talent.

The reason our National team never plays good ball is that we have basketball culture that doesn't value bball iq and playing as a team. Yeah, when we send our best we can play like trash and still win. But it's embarrassing that we accept the mental/cultural shortcomings of the team.
We don’t need more talent. We need continuity. If the 12 guys we sent this summer had been playing together for years, they would have been fine. USA basketball has always been a let’s just overwhelm them with talent kind of thing. This year our talent level was closer to the level of everyone else. With out any kind of chemistry, it was bound to fail.

Honestly, I’d love if we split our team into 4 teams(maybe split them west/east/south/north) and let them play a little tournament against each other for the right to play in these international competitions. Maybe you’d spark more interest and competitiveness by doing it that way. Might mean more to the players.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

History was doomed to repeat itself. This is the same stuff that happened that spurred Jerry Colangelo to get involved and turn it around.
"Be Legendary."

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm
In2ition wrote:
Maybe. But the croatian team was talking s*** about them saying they don't want to meet them in the tourny or USA would regret it. A 32-7 quarter to start the game says a lot.
Serbian team :) The Croatian team was never in the tournament.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ugly game

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Australian sports has been in a funk for 15 years, we used to be just about the best at everything we played (we being me as an Aussie...) ... So it’s great to see the boomers progress this far even without Simmons.

We’re a chance for a medal at the Olympics for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I hope we get FIBA Rubio.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

ShelC wrote:I hope we get FIBA Rubio.
And FIBA Baynes has been pretty good also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:03 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm
In2ition wrote:
Maybe. But the croatian team was talking s*** about them saying they don't want to meet them in the tourny or USA would regret it. A 32-7 quarter to start the game says a lot.
Serbian team :) The Croatian team was never in the tournament.
Yes, exactly. Sorry, my bad.

SDC

Post by SDC »

I could see a crunch time five of rubio, Tyler Johnson, booker, bridges, and ayton.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Baynes played the final game with a strained groin. Hopefully he's not too limited once training camp starts but that's the kind of injury that can linger.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Both Curry and Lillard have already come out and said they'd like to play on the 2020 US Olympic team.
"Be Legendary."