Suns News: Preseason 2019

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Preseason 2019

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:20 am
that is the attitude every player has (or should have) when their former team gives you away for nothing.
Yup. I don't think we gave him away only for performance issues. I'm guessing there must have been an attitude issue as well because James Jones cleaned house of particular players for a reason.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:33 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:20 am
that is the attitude every player has (or should have) when their former team gives you away for nothing.
Yup. I don't think we gave him away only for performance issues. I'm guessing there must have been an attitude issue as well because James Jones cleaned house of particular players for a reason.
I think it's pretty straightforward. He missed a hell of a lot of games in his Suns career. That's why he was expendable.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Pips

Post by Pips »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:02 am
Can you imagine... a key reason that team didn't win a championship may be that Sarver is a f*** a****** and even the refs hate him. I wonder how different things would have been in Jerry waited 5 more years before selling. Ugh.
Key reasons was bad luck and Stern, that decade Spurs was his pets, ofc Sarver didnt help but this is smokescreen, and bad one. How to clear hand with good night story for kids.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:53 pm
I think it's pretty straightforward. He missed a hell of a lot of games in his Suns career. That's why he was expendable.
And he did not play good defense. And he didn't pass. And he couldn't shoot 3s (though he improved on this a bit in his last season). And we wanted to use his cap space for other players and assets. Etc.

I liked TJ Warren, but he was an imperfect player. We decided to move on. I don't like giving away a pick to offload him, but I've accepted it and moved on.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 pm
Democritus wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:30 am
Just a random question for you guys. I know that we have improved our starting five and I'm hopeful this year. But what about the defensive end? Is there a starting 5 in the NBA which is worse defensively than our 5 guys? I think that aspect of our team will determine our position in April.
Atlanta for sure. I can’t imagine the wizards, hornets, or Cavs having competent defenses either.
Also, defensively we are the worst team in the west. That can't be a good sign. Ayton and Booker need to step up their game in that department or we are doomed for another season.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Split T

Post by Split T »

We actually might be better defensively than the Warriors...they’ll be pretty bad.

I think defense is hard to judge before you’ve seen them play though. We don’t have a lot of great individual defenders, but we have a lot of smart players and if Monty implements a good defensive system, we can be competent. Ayton is obviously the key piece though, he’ll have a good amount of control over how good we are defensively. That isn’t exactly reassuring, so that’s why I’d still expect a below average defense.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

What's the record for shot blocking futility? I think we'll challenge for that record because I don't know who's getting any blocks. Not that blocks are the end all to defense, but we just lack any rim protection and intimidation. Ayton can at least be a presence but his rotations are almost always late. If he would just jump to the rim and stand with his arms up it'd go a long way.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:15 am
What's the record for shot blocking futility? I think we'll challenge for that record because I don't know who's getting any blocks. Not that blocks are the end all to defense, but we just lack any rim protection and intimidation. Ayton can at least be a presence but his rotations are almost always late. If he would just jump to the rim and stand with his arms up it'd go a long way.
We don’t have any 1 person that will get a lot of blocks, but we’ve got a few who provide a little bit. Our situation isn’t any different from last season. Ayton will probably get a little over 1. Oubre and Bridges will pick up some blocks as well, probably both just under 1.

But unless Ayton takes a big step forward in this department, you’re right that we won’t have a true rim protector on the floor.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last season we had Holmes off the bench who was the energy, shotblocking big we lack this year. He was blocking 1.1 in 16mpg. Baynes is a bigger, tougher defender but isn't an above the rim shotblocker. He's the positional defender we need Ayton to at least be. Frank is Frank and Diallo just kinda sucks at everything. Obviously I'd love a 6-10 3pt shooting, shotblocking starting PF but those aren't readily available. Truth is, we just need Ayton to be that guy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Holmes was one of the few bright spots last year, but I think Baynes is a better player for this team right now. He'll provide a lot more leadership and IQ than Holmes, and hopefully he'll help Ayton get better.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:45 am
Ayton will probably get a little over 1.
Along with his 0.45 FT attempts per game. ;)
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think Baynes is a little better shot blocker than he's getting credit for here. Y'all are right that he's not an intimidator, but his actual block #'s aren't much below Holmes.

We may not lead the NBA in blocks, but I think we will get a ton of steals and deflections. Rubio, Bridges, and Oubre are proven thieves. And Ayton is surprisingly quick with his hands at times. He reminds me of Kurt Thomas when he is locked in on defending the post against another big.

Maybe other teams will play a lot of hero ball against us to avoid turning it over with a pass.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:11 am
Split T wrote:
Haha, I’m hoping he bumps to at least .75

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I guess with all the jokes about Cam's age :roll: the maturity should be expected. Regardless I like his answers, mindset and want him to do well

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1185653012800270337

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:58 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:11 am
Split T wrote:
Haha, I’m hoping he bumps to at least .75
:P
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Playoffs...really Monty? That would be ..ucking miracle! But why not? You are man of god, so you should know about miracles.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

If you shoot for the moon, you are bound to land among the stars

I like that mentality, you have to have aspirations, no matter how unlikely, play for something more than one game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Sometimes, if you shoot for the moon, you blow up on the launch pad.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 pm
Democritus wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:30 am
Just a random question for you guys. I know that we have improved our starting five and I'm hopeful this year. But what about the defensive end? Is there a starting 5 in the NBA which is worse defensively than our 5 guys? I think that aspect of our team will determine our position in April.
Atlanta for sure. I can’t imagine the wizards, hornets, or Cavs having competent defenses either.
I think those are all good examples. But I don't know if you could come up with a list worse than we are in the West. Maybe Memphis.