Game Day: Nuggets (2-0) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/14/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Nuggets (2-0) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/14/19

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:43 am
They might do it if we also took that disastrous Wiggins contract. That’s a lot of money coming back though, not sure we could have the salaries to match two max contracts. We’d probably have to include Oubre. Tyler, Oubre, Ayton, 1st for KAT/Wiggins? Do we need to include more?
Wiggins would be the highest paid player on the team. :)

That is a lot of contract to eat. I would probably still do it, though, which means they probably wouldn't. But it would save them 200M.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Any GM should have a sense of the value his players have around the league. Which teams value which players the most, etc. You've got to be ready to make a trade, even if you plan on keeping the guy for life.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Would not touch Wiggins' deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:47 am
I’m no fan, he’s got probably the 2nd worst contract in the league(only Wall is worse) but if it means we get KAT and keep Bridges?

Booker/Bridges/KAT is one heck of a core. We’d also have Rubio and Saric in the starting lineup still and Cam/Ty off the bench. Plus whatever we can manage to get out of Wiggins.

I wouldn’t make the trade right now, I want to see what Ayton does this year, but if come the all star break KAT is available and Ayton hasn’t risen to stardom, I’d make that offer. KAT is a legitimate top 5 offensive player in the league right now, and the best scoring Big.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think we should have to take Wiggins to get KAT. We'd just have to include Ayton and other assets. They want to include Wiggins, then no deal, IMO.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ehhhh. I'd have to see what the numbers/cap look like. With his deal plus Book's and KAT's, we'd be pretty handcuffed?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:55 am
ShelC wrote:
I’m no fan, he’s got probably the 2nd worst contract in the league(only Wall is worse) but if it means we get KAT and keep Bridges?

Booker/Bridges/KAT is one heck of a core. We’d also have Rubio and Saric in the starting lineup still and Cam/Ty off the bench. Plus whatever we can manage to get out of Wiggins.

I wouldn’t make the trade right now, I want to see what Ayton does this year, but if come the all star break KAT is available and Ayton hasn’t risen to stardom, I’d make that offer. KAT is a legitimate top 5 offensive player in the league right now, and the best scoring Big.
THIS, fans always want to cover all the bases, but that’s not how trading works. If Ayton is not rising to stardom, Minny will have next to zero interest in trading his Franchise Center for him, even if it means getting rid of the Wiggins deal and the team is going nowhere (Let’s call it the Wall-Beal equivalence). But if Ayton is taking solid steps on the right direction, what benefit would the Suns take from trading him during his rookie contract for two monstrous max extensions, one of them total dead weight?

The moment to bring Kat on board was dealing the freshly obtained the N°1 Pick for him, but people was salivating on potential instead of banking on the sure thing, a motivated Booker-Towns combo would have been enough to avoid all of last year suffer and perhaps even for a playoff spot. It was briefly discussed here as me and a few others wanted a swap as simple as possible, and the board proceed to destroy the guy, now we want him for a bigger package!!!

But only if our asset is underachieving and theirs keep his value, ice cream on top as well?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:55 am
ShelC wrote:

THIS, fans always want to cover all the bases, but that’s not how trading works. If Ayton is not rising to stardom, Minny will have next to zero interest in trading his Franchise Center for him, even if it means getting rid of the Wiggins deal and the team is going nowhere (Let’s call it the Wall-Beal equivalence). But if Ayton is taking solid steps on the right direction, what benefit would the Suns take from trading him during his rookie contract for two monstrous max extensions, one of them total dead weight?

The moment to bring Kat on board was dealing the freshly obtained the N°1 Pick for him, but people was salivating on potential instead of banking on the sure thing, a motivated Booker-Towns combo would have been enough to avoid all of last year suffer and perhaps even for a playoff spot. It was briefly discussed here as me and a few others wanted a swap as simple as possible, and the board proceed to destroy the guy, now we want him for a bigger package!!!

But only if our asset is underachieving and theirs keep his value, ice cream on top as well?
Don't forget the whip cream, Az!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:04 am
Ehhhh. I'd have to see what the numbers/cap look like. With his deal plus Book's and KAT's, we'd be pretty handcuffed?
We'd be handcuffed with Ayton, which is my original point about trying to figure it out before the max contract talk starts to build.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

Don't look at me. I wanted Luka. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:25 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

Don't look at me. I wanted Luka. :lol:
Me too, but I will root for DeAndre,as I did for Bender, and as I did for Len... oh, wait... :shock:

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

A few days late to this one. I’ll just say the suns just a look more watchable. Much better ball movement. We missed some good looks in this one.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Way more watchable. The 2-2 record is a little deceiving as we were blown out by Denver and you are not gooig to set franchise records of 3pf made very often. But yeah, being competitive is within reach.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:25 pm
Way more watchable. The 2-2 record is a little deceiving as we were blown out by Denver and you are not gooig to set franchise records of 3pf made very often. But yeah, being competitive is within reach.
Even the Denver blow out was much more fun to watch than our debacles in the past where it looked like we weren't even trying. Denver is just the better, more experienced team at the moment. Most likely one of the best of the West.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

We'll get to see Denver again in the 2nd game of the year. We'll see if the young Suns learned anything from that last game. It's interesting that the two games lost in preseason are to the teams the Suns play in the first 2 games of the season.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:56 pm
We'll get to see Denver again in the 2nd game of the year. We'll see if the young Suns learned anything from that last game. It's interesting that the two games lost in preseason are to the teams the Suns play in the first 2 games of the season.
I don't expect to beat Denver but we need to beat Sac in our home opener.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 pm
In2ition wrote:
I agree. It would be cool, but I don't expect it at all. In fact, the next night against the Clippers I don't expect as a win either. So they could be 0-3 or 1-2 by Sunday.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I agree. It would be cool, but I don't expect it at all. In fact, the next night against the Clippers I don't expect as a win either. So they could be 0-3 or 1-2 by Sunday.
That's why we really need that first one. OTOH, it would feel just like last year when we beat the Mavs in our home opener. Except we know better now.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
That's why we really need that first one. OTOH, it would feel just like last year when we beat the Mavs in our home opener. Except we know better now.
True. They can't drop the first 3 and get down on themselves like last year when they went on a big skid.