Ayton Possible 25 Game Suspension

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Ayton Possible 25 Game Suspension

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:25 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 am
jonh wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:43 am
If there was something positive to report, it would have already been reported.
How about just something. Anything.
There is nothing to report. He’ll be back on Dec 14th.
What happened in arbitration?
I think it's safe to assume the case didn't go to arbitration.

And, as much as I would like to know all the details, I'm glad the national media hasn't latched on to the story. No news is better than positive confirmation that Ayton was taking PEDs.
What I’ve heard (not 100%) is that he was trying to hide weed. Just a dumb kid needing to grow up in all aspects of life quickly. Just don’t smoke it as long as your employer doesn’t allow it. Then compounds that poor judgment by trying to hide it with a diuretic without doing his research.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:38 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

And, as much as I would like to know all the details, I'm glad the national media hasn't latched on to the story. No news is better than positive confirmation that Ayton was taking PEDs.
What I’ve heard (not 100%) is that he was trying to hide weed. Just a dumb kid needing to grow up in all aspects of life quickly. Just don’t smoke it as long as your employer doesn’t allow it. Then compounds that poor judgment by trying to hide it with a diuretic without doing his research.
Thanks. Let's just hope he's learned his lesson and be thankful that it hasn't had a big impact on the team.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea the suspension is not gonna changed , it's all about how he reacts going forward.

Gotta say we all been marveling at Baynes 3pt shooting and wondering how the offense will be with Ayton but I was just listening to Monty postgame and
"he's just our anchor, have a guy back there who's calling out all the coverages it just helps everybody

Will be honest and say this is the part I'm a lil nervous about when it comes to Ayton. Really hope Baynes has had an impact on him regarding doing the lil things effectively like screening and talking on D
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:38 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say that's what it was as well. That makes it doubly dumb because the penalty for a diuretic is significantly harsher than testing positive for weed.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If Brandon Ingram can pass every drug test, there's no reason Ayton can't figure it out.

(I have no actual proof of Ingram smoking weed. Other than the perpetually stoned look on his face.)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:47 am
OK. Let's say LeBron gets injure (not a big stretch) and AD sees the handwriting on the wall. He is not winning a championship in LA without LeBron. Monty is a close friend and AD would be the perfect final piece on this roster.

The Lakers come calling. They want:

Ayton, Tyler, and a first rounder for AD (who will be a free agent sometime soon).

Do you pull the trigger?
I would do a trade like that for AD, assuming we had some sense that he was at least willing to give us legitimate consideration for re-signing. I would do the same trade for KAT from Minnesota, too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would give up a lot for KAT. He and booker would stay together for awhile and we’d be essentially guaranteed a top offense for years to come.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I had a friend text me about how well Baynes is doing. He asked do we even want Ayton back? I said hell ya we do. At this time we only have one center and come in with a forward to back him up. I don’t really care if Baynes or Ayton starts. Two quality centers trumps one quality center and a so so PF playing center.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm
I had a friend text me about how well Baynes is doing. He asked do we even want Ayton back? I said hell ya we do. At this time we only have one center and come in with a forward to back him up. I don’t really care if Baynes or Ayton starts. Two quality centers trumps one quality center and a so so PF playing center.
Ayton is really good. When he comes back, Coach will have to figure out how exactly to distribute the minutes between him and Baynes and the other bigs, but this will be a good problem to have. And relying on Baynes for 35+ minutes a night will eventually bite us in the behind. He's playing great but he won't be able to keep this up forever.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:22 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm
Ayton is really good. When he comes back, Coach will have to figure out how exactly to distribute the minutes between him and Baynes and the other bigs, but this will be a good problem to have. And relying on Baynes for 35+ minutes a night will eventually bite us in the behind. He's playing great but he won't be able to keep this up forever.
We are going to see a lot of lineups with Ayton and Baynes. I just don't see a way around that (without injury). The way Aron is playing, he needs at least 20 minutes a night. Probably 24. Ayton should be getting at least 30-32. And if Ayton is playing alongside Baynes, he may get even more minutes because he can stay out of foul trouble more.

I expect Baynes to be the first front court player off the bench, and to be closing the half/game.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's a non-issue. Even relying as heavily as we do on Baynes, he has only managed to stay on the court for 30 minutes once this season. He has fouled out twice. Baynes will limit his own minutes with fouls, and Ayton will limit his own minutes with lapses in energy. They will get maybe 6 minutes a game together when they are both on their game.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

SDC

Post by SDC »

I like the starting frontcourt of ayton and baynes.

jonh

Post by jonh »

A bench unit of Jerome, Tyler Johnson, Cameron Johnson, Bridges, & Baynes seems like it would be a solid defensive lineup, and have enough shooters to space the floor.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

What’s going on with the appeal? Why haven’t we heard anything?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 pm
What’s going on with the appeal? Why haven’t we heard anything?
We haven't heard anything because it was a pointless exercise. He fucked up, so everyone should move on.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Passing up Luka to pick Ayton will go down in NBA history as one of the biggest draft blunders. Luka is currently averaging 28.3 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 9.1 ast. That is ridiculous. DeAndre Ayton is never ever going to have that kind of impact on a team. Not ever.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ilu01.html

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:01 am
Passing up Luka to pick Ayton will go down in NBA history as one of the biggest draft blunders. Luka is currently averaging 28.3 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 9.1 ast. That is ridiculous. DeAndre Ayton is never ever going to have that kind of impact on a team. Not ever.

Not if Ayton is good. Everyone knows now that we should have taken Luka, but if Ayton becomes an all-star center, it’s not gonna be remembered as a draft blunder.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Not if Ayton is good. Everyone knows now that we should have taken Luka, but if Ayton becomes an all-star center, it’s not gonna be remembered as a draft blunder.
Probably fair to say it is a huge mistake right now. That mistake might look less bad as time goes on if Ayton turns into a top 20 player in the league before his career is over. It looks like Luka is already there.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It all depends on how good Ayton turns out to be - nobody criticizes Houston for picking Olajuwon over Jordan, but everybody gives Portland shit for picking Bowie ahead of Jordan. If you pick somebody who can pay at a high level and the team is successful, it's a non-issue, if you pick somebody who can't play or gets hurt, that's when it's an issue.

If Ayton plays up to his potential (like he did the first game of the year), we're fine.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Probably fair to say it is a huge mistake right now. That mistake might look less bad as time goes on if Ayton turns into a top 20 player in the league before his career is over. It looks like Luka is already there.
Sure, but I don’t like making determinations on draft picks after just a year or two. Doncic has unquestionably been better and is an All-NBA guy, but we still don’t know where Ayton ends up. I went back and forth before the draft, ultimately I was team Ayton at draft time, but really I was team it doesn’t matter. I thought we would have been fine drafting Ayton or Doncic. Or even trading back for Bagley or JJJ. One thing though is I always assumed Doncic would look better at first. Did I think he would look this good? No, and I would definitely go back and take Doncic if we could, but Ayton isn’t a finished project. I think the chances he reaches Luka’s current level are basically zero, but he can still be a fantastic player.

Basically, Luka was an A+, we don’t know what Ayton is yet, but is it a huge draft blunder if Ayton is an A-? I don’t think so. Picking Josh Jackson over Fox/Isaac is much worse for me.