Ayton Possible 25 Game Suspension

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Ayton Possible 25 Game Suspension

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:03 am
It all depends on how good Ayton turns out to be - nobody criticizes Houston for picking Olajuwon over Jordan, but everybody gives Portland s*** for picking Bowie ahead of Jordan. If you pick somebody who can pay at a high level and the team is successful, it's a non-issue, if you pick somebody who can't play or gets hurt, that's when it's an issue.

If Ayton plays up to his potential (like he did the first game of the year), we're fine.
Yep, my feeling as well. In reality, I think everyone in the top 5 of that draft are going to be happy. Suns, Kings, and Hawks all passed on Luka, but they all got really good players in Ayton, Bagley, and Trae. Memphis never had a shot at Luka, but they got JJJ, who looks like a great player as well. The 5-6 teams that passed on SGA made the bigger mistake.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:01 am
Passing up Luka to pick Ayton will go down in NBA history as one of the biggest draft blunders. Luka is currently averaging 28.3 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 9.1 ast. That is ridiculous. DeAndre Ayton is never ever going to have that kind of impact on a team. Not ever.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ilu01.html
Can you imagine Booker and Doncic together? That would have been something.
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Ryan McDonough's parting gift.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hey, it's not like anybody could have predicted Luka would be really good. I mean if we had, say, been able to see him completely dominate a professional league for an entire season before he went into the NBA draft, that'd be one thing. But we can't be psychic, y'know? And it's not like we really needed a player like him. We already had great players running our offense in Isaiah Canaan and Shaq Harrison.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:35 pm
Hey, it's not like anybody could have predicted Luka would be really good. I mean if we had, say, been able to see him completely dominate a professional league for an entire season before he went into the NBA draft, that'd be one thing. But we can't be psychic, y'know? And it's not like we really needed a player like him. We already had great players running our offense in Isaiah Canaan and Shaq Harrison.
No one disagrees..who are you trying to convince? Everyone would go back and pick Doncic.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let's just be thankful that we had a professional talent scout on the scene with an analytics background. He just never missed on his choices.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
No one disagrees..who are you trying to convince? Everyone would go back and pick Doncic.
Not me. Still team Ayton.

And does anyone really think that Sarver would have let any GM pick anyone other than Ayton? Even Jerry took complete control sometimes, like when he told Bryan they were picking Amare--no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:08 am
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

And does anyone really think that Sarver would have let any GM pick anyone other than Ayton? Even Jerry took complete control sometimes, like when he told Bryan they were picking Amare--no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
I stand corrected...Mori you are free to keep on trying to convince JeremyG Doncic should have been the pick.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I stand corrected...Mori you are free to keep on trying to convince JeremyG Doncic should have been the pick.
Why do we have to have a complete consensus? We can't change anything, so I say just turn the page and hope that Ayton keeps improving, even if he never approaches the level of Doncic. I guess if you want to continue pining over him and what could have been, have at it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think anyone is saying we need to keep pining for him, but besides fans of the Suns, nobody in the NBA go back and draft Ayton over Doncic. It is what it is... a mistake. I agree that harping on it doesn't change anything, and we hope the mistake gets less bad over time. Maybe even reverse some day.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think Marty is trying to convince anyone. He's just expressing frustration through sarcasm. AKA the language of the soul.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

People spend way too much time on would of should of could of. Live in the moment not the past.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:57 am
People spend way too much time on would of should of could of. Live in the moment not the past.
If Captain America can live in the past, why can’t we?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:57 am
But we can learn from it.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:52 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Why do we have to have a complete consensus? We can't change anything, so I say just turn the page and hope that Ayton keeps improving, even if he never approaches the level of Doncic. I guess if you want to continue pining over him and what could have been, have at it.
We don’t, my comment wasn’t really serious

Pips

Post by Pips »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 am
but besides fans of the Suns, nobody in the NBA go back and draft Ayton over Doncic.
Right question is, what team if they had choice would choose Dončić over Ayton last year?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Pips wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 am
but besides fans of the Suns, nobody in the NBA go back and draft Ayton over Doncic.
Right question is, what team if they had choice would choose Dončić over Ayton last year?
That is only the right question if you are trying to figure out what the consensus was back then on who would be better. We know that was split a bit here and around the league, but people were not surprised by anyone taking Ayton #1.

But it is not the right question if you want to know who is better now.

Pips

Post by Pips »

Well, IMO Dončić is better now and we cant change that pick so :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

agreed. no arguments here. we need to do our best to maximize ayton. Let's see how he looks when he is allowed to play again. Hopefully more action than talk.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

18 pts, 58%
11 rbs
4 blocks
2 fouls

In his only game this season. Works for me.